Windows 7 Firefox freezes and spreads through the system

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

im using a HP pavilion dv6 with a core i7 and windows 7.
i've been having freezes where it spreads from one program to another.
- it first started with my itunes freezing; then it spreads to my browser (firefox)
- i tried to open task manager but that froze the task bar altogether

i've rebooted sooo many times and it's very frustrating!
i've tried restoring windows, then it seems to be better. however... when i turn it back on from standby mode, the symptoms i mentioned above starts happening all over again :((

help!! i really need your help!! :(
does anyone know what kind of virus this might be? is it a virus at all?

thanks in advance :(
my life depends on this!

Reaction score
Check your system for malware, spyware, adware and virus's, it sounds like it's infected with some bugs of some kind.

Reaction score
Bassfish, he said he restored Windows, so it can't be malware. How much RAM is in your computer?

Reaction score
Bassfish, he said he restored Windows, so it can't be malware. How much RAM is in your computer?
If you reread the OP you clearly see that after a restore the symptoms reappear, so yes there is a good chance for malware.

To orginal poster: start computer in safe mode with networking, update all malware software and run each one(in safe mode), I'll bet you will be surprised as to what each one finds.

Use these; Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Adaware.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In our Freeware DB is a link to RKill, I think you might give that a try to see if it detects anything. You also might try Malwarebytes freeware version and run a manual scan.

Of course there are common reasons for browsers to freeze up such as plug-ins, like flash, so you might make sure your browser and the flash plug-in are up to date.

It's also a good idea to make sure your video drivers are up-to-date because your freeze may not be browser related at all.

Reaction score
You mentioned it first started with itunes. Does it still happen to your browser if you don't have itunes loaded.
My expereince is that itunes on Win7 is not as stable as it is on XP.

Reaction score
Do you have McAfee Site Advisor installed? I was experiencing random freezes in iTunes & Firefox but since removing Site Advisor, my problems no longer exist.

Shantelle.

Ask a Question