windows 7 explorer problem

Reaction score
windows 7 explorer is different compared to xp.i have lot of pictures in a folder. i sorted that folder into date modified but whenever i open that folder it's sorted as name initially and green bar in running in address bar ,i am getting pictures sorted as date only after 2 minutes. why this problem.if i move some 5 to 10 pictures in that folder also it takes time.why so?in windows xp it's working fine.why there is green bar in windows 7? my config intel dual core 1.8 ghz, 2 gb ram,windows 7 ultimate,160 gb ram,asus p5 gc mx motherboard.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi id_866 ! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website.:ciao:

The green bar you're referring to is the indexing service searching the folder. It shouldn't take two minutes for that to search unless you have a ton of files and folders in the area. If you enable "Write caching" on the respective hard drives that should speed things up for you.

Once you change the way you want your files to be arranged in the folder, in the upper-left of the menu bar is an "Organize" drop-down menu. Click on that and then select "Folder and search options" Click on that and then click on the "View" tab. Select "Apply To Folders" button and click on that.

Once you've done that, all folders that have similar files such as jpegs, png, gif, etc., will be set to the arrange options you selected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks but

How can i disable green bar in windows 7 explorer?i used to change sorting options from date and name frequently.my explorer is slow..the windows xp explorer is fast.how can i get that type of explorer?i have lot of pictures in that folder

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
When using Windows Explorer (My Computer), you’ll notice that green glow that slides across the location bar when browsing a directory. It is building thumbnails of all files in that particular directory – movie files have a screen capture as the thumbnail. As you can imagine it slows down file operations considerably.

To turn this feature off (and speed up your computer), Open up Explorer.exe, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View. Then go to the Advanced Settings and check “Always show icons, never thumbnails.”

By default, Explorer does not show the file menu, so press ALT-F to show the menu while in the window.​

Reaction score
thanks

But if i change the option to icon means thumbnail view will gone and i can't able to see picture in small.is there any other way to speed up the process like windows xp?

Reaction score
I have no problem windows 7 explorer. If any problem you’ll notice that green glow that slides across the location bar when browsing a directory.

Ask a Question