Windows 7 Desktop Screenshots

Reaction score
No icons control?

Looking at the images in this thread, it appears no one has found a way to arrange icons across the screen in a way that sticks? Or did I miss something? Will Windows 7 be fixed to remember personal icon placement?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks, FC, but I'd prefer a regular Windows 7 desktop where I can place icons wherever I want them, and they will stay. I got spoiled in both XP & Vista.

Thanks.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, icons should stay at the same place, even in WIndows 7. Whenever I use icons on the desktop (I use the desktop as a workplace) they stay on...

If they move in your case, you've got a problem.

Reaction score
Exactly. And from what I've read online, others have the same problem. As soon as the computer is rebooted, the icons go back to the left side of the desktop, to a default position. If you have them automatically positioned, they will stay, but not in custom placements, anywhere on the desktop.

Thanks.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... Check the settings in the context menu. Right click on the desktop and see what is set in the icon view and other desktop settings.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Do you use themes?

Have you tried too save your theme?

Right click on an empty part of the desktop > personalize. The theme you are using should be highlighted. Right click and save.

That may save your icon positions too.

Reaction score
Right click the desktop and remove the checks for both view | auto arrange icons

and

view | align icons to grid,

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys. Did all these things. Some of them a number of times. I also ran some searches in Google and have not found a fix, only others with the same complaint.

If I want all the icons over on the left side, it's fine, but I set them on the desktop for a specific reason, & like to have them stay where I put them.

But anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Reaction score
Hi Pazzoom

Are your video drivers up to date?

If Windows is changing resolution during bootup, this would move the Icons around a bit trying to keep them on the screen.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Looking at the images in this thread, it appears no one has found a way to arrange icons across the screen in a way that sticks? Or did I miss something? Will Windows 7 be fixed to remember personal icon placement?

Thanks.
I've always used Jamie O'Connell's excellent Desktop Icon Save and Restore. Available for 32 and 64 bit systems.
This tiny application operates as a Shell extension. It records the layout and positions of icons and programs on the Windows Desktop, and permits restoration of the layout. It operates correctly under Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Arrange your icons, right click your Desktop and select Save Desktop. If anything ever goes pear shaped just right click the desktop and select Restore Desktop...

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe that whenever the screen resolution changes icons are automatically moved even if Auto arrange is not turned on. Changes in your resolution are often forced by older software and various games that require it; Do you notice this behavior after running certain software or after reboot or what?

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys. I'll check my video drivers & try a couple of different resolution settings. I've just purchased & installed Windows 7 on a new machine in the last week, & have gone through plenty of updates. But there may be a conflict with the resolution.

One interesting fact: if I position my icons (using snap to grid) & simply restart Windows, then everything stays put. But if I turn the machine off, when it boots up again, the icons are all repositioned in a default manner, alphabetically.

This last bit I just discovered today by accident. And it makes me think that my overall setup may be influencing Windows. I'm running Windows 7 on an iMac, using Parallels.

Parallels has not gotten in the way of any of my other Windows operations so far or given me any trouble with my other software, so I didn't give it much thought. But it may be doing something in the start up that pushes Windows to a default setting.

Thanks for taking the time to kick this around. I'll post my results.

Reaction score
Looks like the video driver & resolution are the sticking point.

Parallels (see my last post) is using its own driver (since the program creates a virtual PC). I didn't give this much thought, but Parallels is also resetting the screen resolution with every start up, and that gives Windows the kick that reshuffles the icons every time.

Not a Windows thing this time. & Parallels is not always responsive to change. I'll see what I can do. I really like the parallel virtual machine better than the BaseCamp alternative for running Windows on a Mac. Hope I can make it work out.

Thanks again for the time & trouble, everyone.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice - I can see some rainmeter in there :p

Mine is basic and clean - I've just shown rocketdock and the taskbar, but usualy everything is hidden. Aero is disabled and I've modified my start orb.
Taskbar is set on small icons.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice - I can see some rainmeter in there :p

Mine is basic and clean - I've just shown rocketdock and the taskbar, but usualy everything is hidden. Aero is disabled and I've modified my start orb.
Taskbar is set on small icons.
My friend Fire Cat Thnx & I'm glad that you like the wally but it got no Rainmeter but simple windows gadget "desktop gadget" which gives a good look & other simple CPU monitor gadget...That's it...:D

Looks nice but i can't live without Aero effect i just love it & that was one of the feature due to which i switch over to Win7 from XP after using it for more then 5 years...:eek:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow - 5 years of XP. :O :D

Well, I din't know there was a gadget for the time and date like that ;) I've only seen that in rainmeter.

Well - about aero. I usualy can't live without it, but because of my background, it doesn't really show, so I just desactivated it, set the darkest possible color on the windows, and increased my comps performance :)

Ask a Question