Windows 7 and 3.5 Floppy drives

Reaction score
First, you are all going to say why in the world are you using these things. I am in manufacturing and we have machine tools using 720kb drives. One is in a NEC computer probably built in the early '80's reading text only. Anyway I bought a internal floppy and installed it in my computer (Dell Precision T7400). I did this after trying to use a USB floppy. Some discs read, some don't. I really just need to read a disk from a Windows 98 system to a Windows 7. The Windows 7 machine says the disk is not formatted. If I format on the Windows 7 machine, I can get the disc to work, but not backwards, I can't make a disk on the older machine and read it on the Windows 7.
Any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
3.5 in disks are not 720kb any more they are 1.44mb so you might try THIS. Besides the formatting, also try the bit about taping over one of the holes to make your drive not think it's a double density disk.

Generally it is easier to use a transfer cable or internet connectivity, then it is to try and move data a tiny disk at a time.

Ask a Question