Windows 7 Always Freezing

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 7, the day it was released, and now it always freezes up after a few minutes of use. It was working fine for one day then the next day it started freezing. After just a few minutes it locks up and I can move my mouse but nothing else. Also, I can drag windows around while it is frozen but it just makes copies of the windows instead of moving them. My options are to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Log Off then Log back on and that will buy me around a minute of use before freezing or turn my computer off then back on and that will buy a few more minutes before it freezes.

Dell Inspiron 530
Windows 7 64-bit (dual-boot Windows XP Pro 32-bit)
(Stock Dell Motherboard) Dell Inc. 0FM586
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHZ (64-bit ready)
ASUS EAH4870 Radeon HD 4870 Dark Knight 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
WDC WD10EACS-00D6B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB
WDC WD5000AAKS-75A7B0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB))
4x 1024MB RAM (4gbs total)

If anyone has any ideas, questions, or solutions please let me know. thanks

Reaction score
Problem Solved!!!

I brought up the Task Manager in the few seconds it was working after booting up and watched it. The moment the freeze took over I saw Process: rlvknlg.exe *32 pop up.I googled it only to find out it was a virus.Then I ran 3 different Virus scans at once and MalwareBytes (FTW!) located (in locked folder Relevant Knowledge) and removed the virus.Now all is well.

Ask a Question