SOLVED Windows 7 64 bit driver for Epson Perfection 1650 photo scanner

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I cannot find Paperport version 8 in the Microsoft compatibility center but I do see version 7 is NOT compatible and it looks like versions 11 and 12 ARE compatible. You will probably have to install it and see.

Glad you got your scanner working.

Reaction score
no luck

Hi -- I'm having no luck installing an Epson Perfection 1660 scanner. I downloaded the recommended file and unzipped it to a new folder on C:

Under "devices and printers" it is listed as Epson scanner with the exclamation mark. Under properties > change settings > update driver I "browse my computer" I tell it to look in the folder I created.
I found out by reading all the comments here, that it is looking for "es27.inf file in the EPSON PERFECTION 1650 VISTA x64 DRIVER folder" and the file is there.

I told windows to look in the subfolder of EPSON PERFECTION 1650 VISTA x64 DRIVER and yet, I get the response that windows cannot find the driver.

I have this folder under epson\epson1660\EPSON PERFECTION 1650 VISTA x64 DRIVER
Should it not be in the epson folder? Is it too far down the tree? Just grasping at straws, as you can tell....
I tried this whole procedure several times with reboots in between. The scanner is found and I'm told it has no driver.... then see above.

The scanner is found but not identified. i just uninstalled this generic scanner changed USB port. It makes the scanner hum but no driver installation follows....

There is no scanner listed in Device Manager.

I tried resolving compatibility issues using windows. Clicked on the driver setup.exe to fix compatibility issues - no luck..... was that correct?

What next?.... TIA for a response.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Be sure the scanner is hooked up and turned on.
Open Windows Explorer.
Find the file es27.inf in the unzipped folder.
Right-click and choose Install.
Post the results.

Reaction score
Be sure the scanner is hooked up and turned on.
Open Windows Explorer.
Find the file es27.inf in the unzipped folder.
Right-click and choose Install.
Post the results.
result: >>>> "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation"

Sorry, but thanks for trying. I do wonder now whether this driver would actually support TWAIN - someone seemed to think not....? That's what I need though.

Reaction score
success :)

I tried another method that I found on the Vista Forum. It worked!!! No problems at all and it works with TWAIN. Windows found the 1660.

When I tried it the first time around I didn't choose "have disk".... So, 3 hours and a few more grey hairs later I realized I had missed that little detail....

btw. in win7 I went through control panel/hardware and sound to find the then nameless scanner and began the process via "properties"....

Here are the instructions and a link to the original post:

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/185132-unofficial-drivers-epson-perfection-1660-scanner-2.html

DGittins1

Re: (Unofficial) drivers for Epson Perfection 1660 scanner
That driver didn't work for me. What did work was installiong the x64 driver from Epron for their Epson Expression 1680 Professional scanner instead. I had to force the Device Manager driver install to use the .inf file for the 1680.

Here's how:

Download and run the Epron file.
It will extract to here:
C:\EPSON\epson12203_twain_driver_and_epson_scan_utility_304a

Then cancel the install process.
Open Device Manager.
Right click the scanner (will have yellow "!")
click update driver, click click :Brownse my comp", click "let me pick from list..." , click have disk, then browse to here:
C:\EPSON\epson12203_twain_driver_and_epson_scan_utility_304a
pick any inf, and it should go from there.

========

Good luck - and a big thank you to all the techies willing to share their knowledge. I have benefited from this type of help for Years! :)

Reaction score
The solution to install drivers from here worked for me:

http://rapidshare.com/files/19900992...x64_DRIVER.rar

I did have to join Rapidshare in order to download the file.

In Photoshop I could then Import>WIA Support from my 1650. However, the scan options were very limited and I wanted to use Epson Scan for the front end, but it would not open.

I then found this thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...d-epson-scanner-cause-network-workaround.html

and installed Epson Scan v3.78 from the Epson WorkForce 645 file. I did not have to install v3.76 as per the instructions. I simply installed v3.78, rebooted and that seemed to do the trick.

You may need to do a Device Manager>Imaging Devices>Epson Perfection1650>Driver>Update Driver and then navigate to "EPSON PERFECTION 1650 VISTA x64 DRIVER" to install/reinstall the driver.

Now I can scan in either PS via WIA or Epson Scan and all is well. Why this works I don't know, but it does for me.

thanks to all who have looked into this issue!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
johnny, I'm glad you got it working but FYI, you should NOT have to join Rapidshare to download that file, I know I don't. Simply click the download button in the middle.

Reaction score
Help
I have a perfectly good Epson printer/scanner CX4900 but cannot get it to work on W7 64bit as I cannot find a driver. Can anyone help please

Cheers
Abbas

Reaction score
Thanks ... !!! I got the zip file with your link and my scanner is perfectly working now ..
Thanks to Ian and Bigdave for their contribution. I discover this forum and the various themes ... Very helpful, it will come in my favorites.

Reaction score
Windows 7 64 bit drivers for Epson 1650

I see your post from 2010. I have the same problem as these other people have but the sites that you had listed here do not work now. They will not let you into them. 'Does anyone have a new site where I can get the drivers for the Epson perfection 1650 to work work with Windows7 64 bit for free? I have some important papers I really need to scan and email back to someone and I can't get this scanner to work. I just a new laptop with window7. I didn't know it was not going to be compatible with my printer and now my scanner too.

Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
I followed the Mediafire link to install the driver for my Epson Perfection 1650 scanner. After installation was completed successfully, I tried to update the driver for my scanner. Windows was able to find the driver but could not install it, and I got this message "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering"

Do you have any recommendation to save me buying a new scanner? Thanks for your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't really know but if it thinks the file is corrupt I would suggest you try downloading it again; your first download may have had a "hiccup".

Reaction score
I thought so the first time I encountered this message, but I tried three times in three different days after restarting fresh each time. So I believe the file is corrupt. I don't know if this is the end of it or there is still something out there somewhere.

Thanks anyway for your quick response.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it the EPSON PERFECTION 1650 VISTA x64 DRIVER that is giving you the error?

If yes, then I just uploaded it to Zippyshare so try this one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your continuous effort to help me solve this problem. I just upgraded my OS to Windows 8 Professional. My old HP 1020 printer runs fine with Win 8 but the Epson scanner problem continues since the OS is still a 64 bit. However, I tried to download and install the driver using the link you provided and I still get the same error message.

I am giving it a few more days to see if there is something that works and then I will have to make a decision on purchasing a new scanner.

Thanks for your persistence to find a solution, that is really what counts. I appreciate your forum.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2013.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you got the one I uploaded then that is the driver the others were using for their W7, it isn't corrupt. Sounds like it is a compatibility issue between W8 and this driver.

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest.

Reaction score
You have done everything you could, and you are probably right about compatibility.

My question regarding this forum is whether this will continue to be dedicated to Win 7 or could also serve as a forum for Win 8?

Ask a Question