Windows 7 32 bit installed.. change to 64 bit with the Toshiba upgrade?

Reaction score
So awhile back I installed Windows 7 in 32 bit (since I had no clue).. Then went on to get a total of 6 gb's of RAM and it will run not even 3 because it's on 32 bit. All I have is the Toshiba upgrade CD for Windows 7 and I've tried so many different ways to install the 64 bit but no luck yet...Any help? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi kells - Welcome to w7forums

The Toshiba upgrade DVD may only have the 32-Bit version. You may want to call Toshiba and ask if they have the 64-Bit version that they can ship to you.

I am assuming you purchased the laptop with Windows Vista 32-Bit and received a Windows 7 32-Bit Upgrade when released to public.
Is this correct?

Which laptop do you have?

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm assuming it had a 32 bit version of Vista on it but the CD Toshiba sent me w/ Windows 7 does say it has the 32 and 64 version on it. I probably had the option when I first installed it but didn't realize and now I can't go back to that since 7 is already on here.

Reaction score
Your laptop information and drivers are found here - Satellite L505-S6946

If using a Windows 7 Upgrade Offer media provided by Toshiba, start the installation process by booting from the Windows 7 disc and following the on-screen instructions. You will be prompted to select the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7. If you're not sure which version to select, you can review Microsoft's frequently asked questions about 32-bit and 64-bit Windows here.
Read more here - How to Custom Install Windows 7 and add Toshiba-provided drivers & utilities with the Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

Reaction score
Exactly, I wish I had known to do 64 when I first installed it because it's like no matter what I do, I can't get back to that prompt. And I tried reading that custom install from Toshiba but it's a PDF and my computer for some reason won't DL the Acrobat Reader. Apparently my computer is just revolting against me.. Ugh

Reaction score
Do you still have the option to revert back to Vista with the recovery partition or recovery media that Toshiba provided?

This may allow you to start over.

Reaction score
I know, it won't let me. And I went crazy trying to find the Vista software. I would assume Best Buy would've given it to me when I bought this laptop back in Sept. They should explain it better, how once you decide that seems to be it. This is so frustrating!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Use the Bing search engine and you'll be able to find these downloads of the ISO image files. Copy and paste the X15-*****.iso into Bing and search from there.

The Ixquick search engine will work also.

64 bit Home Premium: X15-65733.iso

64 bit professional: X15-65805.iso

The search will then produce a download link that looks like this:

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65805.iso

Then burn the ISO image file to a blank DVD with ImgBurn or BurnAware Free.

Ask a Question