Windows 7: 150 Million Copies Sold

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
From: Windows IT Pro -Paul Thurrott's WinInfo June 23, 2010

Microsoft announced on Wednesday that it has now sold over 150 million Windows 7 licenses since the product first launched in October 2009. Once again, the company reiterated that this makes Windows 7 the fastest-selling operating system in history, with customers snatching up 7 copies of Windows 7 every second.

"We are excited to announce that Windows 7 has sold 150 million licenses to-date," a posting to the Windows corporate blog reads. "Approximately 75 percent of enterprises are looking at Windows 7 for their organization, and of course people continue to be excited about the features and benefits of Windows 7, and the PCs that our partners are delivering for Windows 7."

Microsoft had previously announced that it had sold 90 million copies of Windows 7 in March, and then updated that figure to 100 million on April 23, exactly two months ago. The company is now selling over 25 million copies of Windows 7 every month. If this trend continues, Microsoft will sell at least 300 million Windows 7 licenses by the end of calendar year 2010. Not bad for the "post-PC" era we're supposedly experiencing right now.

Also on Wednesday, Microsoft announced a third Platform Preview release of its upcoming Internet Explorer 9 browser. And on Thursday, the software giant will make available a public beta version of its next Windows Live Essentials suite, which provides greatly enhanced versions of key Windows 7 (and Vista) applications like Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Live Messenger, and more. You can read my exhaustive review of the new Windows Live Essentials on the SuperSite for Windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOURCE

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"Windows Live Mail ... If you're running this application at 1366 x 720 or lower, you're going to have to make some adjustments." It figures they disregard netbook and a lot of notbook users. It's disappointing how their new directive seems to be "my way or the highway" instead of providing for the wants of their customers.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You are correct, some adjustments will have to be made somewhere, or you will never see Live Mail on a netbook. I have to scroll to see everything on my notebook, a 14 inch Dell. Only on my widescreen desktop can I see the entire page. I'm sure that they can do something, but it would be my guess that you would need bifocals to read the page, once they've made things work.

Which is all the more reason that I simply click onto Hotmail from my MSN homepage. There are many who doesn't like doing this, but it works for me, I don't click onto spam, don't open messages from unknowns, and depend on my AV & malware protection (MSE) to cover my back. It works for millions of users, I have four email accounts, and Windows Live can't sync all four, even if I wanted them to. It doesn't work with Opera Web Mail at all, and it's one of the best that I have. It does sync Yahoo, but half of that is spam, so why bother? I also have an unused Road Runner email that I don't even know who runs yet, but I'm soon finding out.

At any rate, I'm proud of the fact that MS has sold so many copies of 7 in so short of a time (7 months). It goes to show that there are way more happy campers than those having problems. If it were the other way around, 7 would have already been considered another fluke, and MS would be in deep s**t, to have to extend XP for another four years, even give it another SP or two. MS had to have 7 right, no two ways about it. And they did.

Hopefully, by years end, sales of Windows 7 will have reached the 300 million mark, right in line to take over the #1 position at some point next year.

Cat

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Nibiru wrote

Microsoft announced on Wednesday that it has now sold over 150 million Windows 7 licenses since the product first launched in October 2009. Once again, the company reiterated that this makes Windows 7 the fastest-selling operating system in history, with customers snatching up 7 copies of Windows 7 every second.
Thanks for the info Nibs !, and I think Microsoft can safely say (We got it right this time) :top:... lets hope they put some of the profit to good use in computing.

Ask a Question