Win7 SP1

Reaction score
It should be noted that Windows 7 SP1 is simply a rollup of all the fixes that have been released since October, 2010. That is to say, if you're on a fully-patched version, then SP1 has nothing to offer you--not even performance. ;)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ummm, that is not true. While that is the bulk of SP1, SP1 has other new or enhanced features. If you read back through this very long thread, you will see they have been listed, mentioned, and linked to several times.

Reaction score
Sure, there are some RDP and VM enhancements, if we want to dig into the nitty gritty, but certainly no performance improvements that didn't already come from WUAU months ago.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I agree with Digs on this one. After the install of SP1 even though my system was completely up to date with the latest updates, the system ran smoother and was quicker too.

Mic

Reaction score
SP1 feels snappier to me like how SP3 was to XP.

I finally decided to get rid of my 32 bit version since I couldn't update to SP1 anyway (lots of failed attempts manually as well). Re-installed as 64 bit (I had 4gb running 32 bit forever) installed all updates and this 64 bit SP1 is pretty quick.

Sad that I could never figure out why I couldn't update to SP1, maybe because it wasn't a fresh install of W7 from Vista (bleh). I know, stupid choice at the time but I was too lazy to install all my programs and settings again. Took a brick wall to make me do a fresh install and upgrade to 64 bit haha. :beer:

Reaction score
I would like to pose this question: how can the OS be snapper if SP1 did not deliver any performance improvements (or any new features that affect the day-to-day operation of the OS) that have not already been issued as a patch over the last 18 months?

At this point I am generally curious as to how perception and opinion is winning out over the facts as they stand.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
All that I can say for sure is this, I started with SP1 when it was first offered (as a beta), and from the time I press the power button until I was on my home page, around 20 seconds was saved. Half of that was the time that it took my internet connection to take place.

The system is overall snappier (this was so on 2 computers, but the other is gone now), and XP Mode loads faster (was very slow).

Every SP that I've ever applied to a Windows OS has made a difference for me (except XP SP3).

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
At this point I am generally curious as to how perception and opinion is winning out over the facts as they stand.
I realize you're not intentionally being Devil's Advocate here, but many users are perceiving an improvement in response with SP1. Perhaps it's the proverbial "placebo effect", who in the heck knows.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This thread is beginning to get a bit personal and gritty. perhaps we should also agree to disagree and close?
I have long felt the same peception applies to browsers. I like IE, and will stay with it. I have tried all the others, with small amounts of disatisfaction in various areas.. The latest rave, Chrome left me cold. I found it clumsy to use. I read that it is faster than others. I could not "perceive" that and, on a private test with vaious known slow sites, including a web page of my own, I was unable to detect the so-called micros seconds that make it allegedly faster. - Sorry, I digress, just making a point!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder davehc!

Meanwhile... back at the ranch. ;)

raw

Reaction score
SP1

Has anyone had troubles with Win7 SP1...One of my sons has run into problems and I would like to know if anyone else has troubles before I try to install the update!!!!:)
I downloaded SP1 and it solved problems for me. I have not had any new problems.

Also, I downloaded windows 9 and it disrupted my set up so much that I removed it, and I will try again when I have more time.

My only problem with windows 7 X 64 is that the 'live' mail program is very slow compared to the yahoo service. Also, it does not function conveniently like windows outlook used to work with devices such as canon scanners. I had great difficulty at first in determining the live program file name, since the computer came with the extensions hidden.

Reaction score
You Mean Outlook express I assume not Outlook as that comes with certain versions of Microsoft Office or can be purchased as a individual program from MS or any store that sell Microsoft Software. In Explorer go to tools select folder options and you can check or Un-check the option to see known file extensions

raw

Reaction score
You Mean Outlook express I assume not Outlook as that comes with certain versions of Microsoft Office or can be purchased as a individual program from MS or any store that sell Microsoft Software. In Explorer go to tools select folder options and you can check or Un-check the option to see known file extensions
Thanks for your response. That is correct. 'Outlook express'. Would welcome a solution to improve 'live mail' response time.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I can't say whether SP1 helped me on my notebook or not, it's new and runs fast anyway. But installing SP1 didn't hurt it at all. It still runs as good as before I installed it.

There are updates for those who runs VM's, and I'm one who makes use of them, so hopefully it will help me there. Having 6GB of DDR3 RAM most certainly helps too.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Since most users allow Windows Update to keep their systems updated, most users would not notice a change after installing SP1. And that's okay.

Ask a Question