Win7 SP1

Reaction score
It has been suggested that AVG may cause some issues for some people using Win7.. Can you temporarily disable AVG while your trying the install.

Reaction score
Sigh. I did do that. AVG and I understand each other pretty well by now. They interfered with Win XP SP1 install, but have been pretty good since.

I am doing a repeat update install of 12 updates via Lenovo's ThinkVantage shell program. I did this once before with no discernible effect, however they may have had a bug an fixed it. Will let you know

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you also disabled Windows Defender (if you have it enabled)? That app can cause some things to hang, too.

I use it, but only to run a quick auto scan at midnight. The "realtime" protection is turned off, I don't want any conflicts with NOD32.

I hope that you get SP1 installed soon. Keep us posted, if you're still having issues.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you also disabled Windows Defender (if you have it enabled)? That app can cause some things to hang, too.

I use it, but only to run a quick auto scan at midnight. The "realtime" protection is turned off, I don't want any conflicts with NOD32.
I would recommend you install and use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) instead. It replaces and will disable WD and is a much better anti-malware, to include spyware, solution.

Reaction score
Sigh again. Yes, Windows Defender is off. I learned that one when rebuilding my husband's security system.

FYI-Reinstalling the Lenovo Updates and rerunning the Troubleshooting didn't work either.

I assume I have most of the SP1 fixes installed already, so I will just wait until some paid software guy at Microsoft or Lenovo fixes the glitch.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Its nice to know there is a helping community out there.

grams

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I would recommend you install and use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) instead. It replaces and will disable WD and is a much better anti-malware, to include spyware, solution.
I have ESET NOD32. Although MSE is better than many of the free AV solutions, it was just missing too much bad code for my comfort level. So after years of running free AV's, I finally came off the money for a paid one. The 3 user pack of NOD32 for $29.99 was a deal that was too good to pass on.

So far, I've been very pleased.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have ESET NOD32. Although MSE is better than many of the free AV solutions, it was just missing too much bad code for my comfort level
Oh? Not according to the major independent labs. But regardless, the new V2.0 was just released last month (maybe January) and it is much improved over the already well acclaimed V1.x - and better or equal to the paid offerings.

That said, if you are happy with NOD32, keep it. It is a good anti-malware solution. My comment concerned your use of, and the replacement of Windows Defender with MSE. I was not suggesting you to dump NOD32 for MSE.

Reaction score
MSE is an Anti-Virus program also, so it would not behoove him to run ESET AV and MSE at the same time. one or the other

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Right. But to be sure, I was not suggesting that. He used WD for on-demand supplemental scanning. I recommend using MSE instead.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, that's all I use it for, is a quick scan at night. I did run a full scan with it recently also.

It's always good to have an extra scanner on hand.

And I do use MSE Version 2.0 on my VM's, as it's in the ESET NOD32 EULA that you can install it on as many dual boots on the same computer as you wish, as it can only run one at a time. But to run it within a VM requires a separate license. That would be like running two instances of it at once, using the same key. That's not permitted. I was reading the EULA online, and discovered this, and called customer service about it. The rep confirmed this, and told me that without a second license, I needed to remove it from the VM.

Also, I have it on all three partitions on my notebook, and the rep told me that if I had a 3rd computer, I could install it on that as well. I suppose that it's just another way to make money for them.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I just happened upon this Article. It offers no solution but you are not alone.

I like this little tidbit, as it could also explain a few posts of late mentioning the lack of restore points ...
"Best thing is, SP1 deletes restore points prior to installing!!!!"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft has posted a work-around for one known "rather hairy" issue with SP1 ...

Your computer may freeze or restart to a black screen that has a "0xc0000034" error message after you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or a Windows Vista service pack
See that work-around HERE

Reaction score
So glad (actually relieved) that I decided not to install SP1 until later. Installation issues and unexpected weird behavior such as this confirms that my decision was prudent.

Reaction score
Yet there were millions of users that updated with no problems. I have had it since the middle of January when it first appeared as an RTM that was leaked. I have had no problems with it. On forums you only see the few that have had problems. Most users that have not had a problem do not post that everything went fine.
Yes a few have had problems, but the vast majority has had no problems Just do a full image backup, install SP1. If it does not work you can always re-install your image

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yet there were millions of users that updated with no problems. I have had it since the middle of January when it first appeared as an RTM that was leaked. I have had no problems with it. On forums you only see the few that have had problems. Most users that have not had a problem do not post that everything went fine.
Yes a few have had problems, but the vast majority has had no problems Just do a full image backup, install SP1. If it does not work you can always re-install your image
Restoring a system restore point will still leave some of the SP1 files on your OS. That is one of the quirky flaws that I have noticed about Win7. While it has many excellent features, I have noticed weird behavior from the system restore function, as it will restore certain files and not others, so I am still sticking with my decision not to install SP1, regardless of how many bazillion perky peppy people love their upgrade. Their contentment does not diffuse my reservations. I'll install SP1 later down the road after even more bug reports have come out and I know what to expect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gee I have never had that problem, I have restored using a W7 image, I also backup with Macrium Reflect and have restored using a Image created by that program also.
I have had no problems with SP1 and like I said before I have been using the RTM package since Mid January.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The install of SP1 done this to me also, what I did, and MS suggested this, was I did a full backup prior to the install of the SP. One should always do this, regardless of the version of Windows, when installing a SP or making major changes.

That way, if you don't like the outcome, you have a image to fall back on. We were warned, it's all in the fine print, in regard to installing SP's. If we simply agree to everything without reading the details first, then whatever happens, just happens.

Cat

Reaction score
Etalamr~

you said "Restoring a system image will still leave some of the SP1 files on your OS."

True .. and it will even if you do a repair install .,... UNLESS you go and delete those files that were left over...which is easy enough to do and easy enough to find for those that want to or have the need to do it .

Eventually what WILL happen .. like what happened with Xp ..

Either ..
1) You must have a service pack installed to get the updates from then on
2) Stand alone upgrade(or full reninsall)
3) No upgrades are available .. casue you dont have the "right stuff" . to get the upgrades.

As far as going from Win 7 to Win 7 SP 1 .. its a realtively "headache free" process .. YES i will say i had my issues( if you look at my post about the issue i had) .. but that was HARDWARE BASED and that issue is solved.. and doing a repair install was quite good ..

I knowI I'll have do do some cleaning out but .. it's all good .. crap happens ..

Just my thoughts
LoneWolf

Reaction score
Restoring a system image will still leave some of the SP1 files on your OS. That is one of the quirky flaws that I have noticed about Win7. While it has many excellent features, I have noticed weird behavior from the system image restore function, as it will restore certain files and not others, so I am still sticking with my decision not to install SP1, regardless of how many bazillion perky peppy people love their upgrade. Their contentment does not diffuse my reservations. I'll install SP1 later down the road after even more bug reports have come out and I know what to expect.

Please explain how a back up image of a system that does not have SP1 on it leave SP1 files on the restored disc.. If you fear this then just reformat your disc prior to restoring the Image with out SP1, this would definitely ensure no SP1 files were kept on the disc

Ask a Question