Win7 SP1

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How very true! I've installed Win 7 SP1 on at least six different installs, the final being this morning, installing 7 Pro (32 bit) on my notebook. This install was from a disc with SP1 already on it (via TechNet).

No problems whatsoever to report. My desktop was updated to SP1 a couple of months ago, through the posted links on this forum.

And finally, MS did hold their promise, as after today's install, KB971033 is still a VOLUNTARY, but important update. I can't confirm this on my previous installs, as I had already accepted the update. So, congrats on MS for keeping their word.:) At the time of it's release, MS, through their spokesman (Mr. Williams) promised that it would be that way, and that's the way it unraveled.

As a general rule, it's bad for business (and anyone in general) not to hold up to their word.

Cat

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I had a tiny hiccup as I thought I needed to restart my conputer but the SP1 download/install was not 100% finished, dang me for being impatient...

I ended up doing a successful Repair Install and the SP1 downloaded./installed perfectly fine.

Was interesting to see the "windows not genuine" box two times after the Repair Install. Once on the initial windows final load after the repair was complete and again after getting the KB971033. Immediately as the "Not Genuine" popped up, a 2nd box popped up showing my windows was genuine. Just a heads-up to anyone doing a Repair Install not to panic if this should happen to you.

Reaction score
Yes:
Downloaded the SP1 update from Microsoft update site, appox. 89MB.
After the install the CPU had a 40 to 60 % use. Took 30 minutes to find problem.
.Net Framework 4.0 was running, could not stop.
Had to remove .Net Framework 4.0 and reboot.
Reinstalled .Net Framework 4.0, without problem.
Do not know what caused this issue.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It might have settled down if given a chance. A lot of background stuff goes on after major changes. But I am glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for reporting it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had a tiny hiccup as I thought I needed to restart my conputer but the SP1 download/install was not 100% finished, dang me for being impatient...

I ended up doing a successful Repair Install and the SP1 downloaded./installed perfectly fine.

Was interesting to see the "windows not genuine" box two times after the Repair Install. Once on the initial windows final load after the repair was complete and again after getting the KB971033. Immediately as the "Not Genuine" popped up, a 2nd box popped up showing my windows was genuine. Just a heads-up to anyone doing a Repair Install not to panic if this should happen to you.
That happened once to me, when I cloned a drive. I was trying (in another thread) to remember what happened, for a split second the "Not Genuine" flashed on my screen, then disappeared. Glad that it corrected itself for you, too.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Right click on Computer and select properties. You should see Service Pack 1 under the Copyright notice.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Yes:
Downloaded the SP1 update from Microsoft update site, appox. 89MB.
After the install the CPU had a 40 to 60 % use. Took 30 minutes to find problem.
.Net Framework 4.0 was running, could not stop.
Had to remove .Net Framework 4.0 and reboot.
Reinstalled .Net Framework 4.0, without problem.
Do not know what caused this issue.
That's the mscorsvw.exe doing its thing, updating its own info/settings. As Digerati said, 1/2 hour to an hour and it would've stopped, never to be seen (noticed) again. Until SP2 !!

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Alright...Installed SP1 without issues.

Going to take it for a spin,

Attachments

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Glad to report that no issues so far...Now I hope that the other 3 machines don't act up when I install SP1.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's good to hear, Kalario. Hopefully the others will go just as good. If the installs were OK to start with, SP1 should give no problems.

If on the other hand, there are unresolved issues (such as file system errors or drive issues) no SP will correct them. These type of things will have to be manually fixed/repaired.

Good Luck!

Cat

Reaction score
No issue here

Hey all ~

Been a while since i posted here so i figured now woudl be as good a time as any :)

I just did an install of SP1 AND IE9 (back to back) as well as a couple other updates in between that SP1 didn't take care of(Optional updates according to Win Update)..

So far all is good.

I think ( if my memory of what forum i have read on) some had said it seems like Windows is "snappier" since the updates. While I havent noticed a DRAMATIC increase in speed(havent done a clean up lately) there is a BIT of a speed up. maybe by mere seconds.

Just thought I'd throw my opinion in there :)
~Lonewolf/Jeff

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
IE9

The installation of SP1 does speed up Windows 7 somewhat. The system is more responsive and snappier.

Regarding IE9, I think it is faster than Firefox and renders web pages much faster than before. I wish there was an ad-blocking app for the new IE9 though and also availability of more add-ons and tweaks such as Firefox now possesses.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Today, I had to do a reinstall of my OS. I did it through a backup image taken with Acronis on the day of install, so I knew that it would be fresh.

After the usual updates, and getting my programs installed, the final update appeared, SP1. At first, I thought since I had it on a flash drive, that would be the easy way to go. But after seeing that it was only a 87.2MB download, I took a step back. The one that I have stored is 10x that size, at least (the x64 version). And took over an hour to install.

What a breeze! Win 7 SP1 through Windows Update took less than 30 minutes to install. I came in here where the computer is to grab a pen to write with, about 20 minutes after selected to install the update, glanced at the computer, it was ready to install. All that I had to do was reboot. I returned about 5 minutes after the reboot, it was ready.

The best part is, my desktop runs faster than ever. My only question was, why couldn't it have been made this simple from the beginning?

Cat

Reaction score
It all depends where you got you first update from, The first ones out contained both 32 bit and 64 bit updates, if you got the 2nd from via MS automatic updates and you kept your machine up to-date then the 2nd one would only install those items your machine needed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I suppose that's what it was. It was a fresh install, and had just gotten done with the updating. The only thing that I had to install after SP1 was IE9 RC. The reason that I waited, was because in the past (on XP), if you upgraded IE, then installed a SP, you had to rely on a backup made prior to that install in order to remove it, if you didn't want it.

And also, I had Office 10 to install, but that didn't take long.

I'm glad that it was painless as possible, hopefully it'll be another 2 years before another is added. And it did provide a small, but noticable difference in overall speed & performance.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please keep issues regarding SP1 install within this thread.

The break-off discussion regarding IE9 ad blocker / spell checker etc was moved HERE
and the discussion of the European Union & IE was moved HERE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
error 8024200D SP1 update failure

I have tried just about every suggestion I could find to solve this error code, with no result. The Win 7 Update installation for SP1 fails every time about 2/3 of the way into the install. Other updates install just fine. I have run the Troubleshooting and did the DCIM fix and lots more. All the links to this error seem to relate to Vista-so Why am I getting it with Win7?Security is AVG 2011 and my machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad about 6 months old with Win 7 Pro. Any insights?Thanks,grams

Ask a Question