Win7 SP1

Reaction score
Has anyone had troubles with Win7 SP1...One of my sons has run into problems and I would like to know if anyone else has troubles before I try to install the update!!!!:)

Reaction score
I've just installed Windows 7 Home SP1 and fully updated afterward. Unfortunately I've not had it installed long enough to properly answer your question. FWIW, I've not had any troubles sofar.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm having nothing but problems so far! I may have to do a clean reinstall on my everyday 32bit machine and try repair installs on the 2 64bit folders.

Reaction score
I installed it yesterday afternoon and haven't had an issue with it it. All my hardware and software all work fine. Then again every computer has different hardware & software. I'd suggest having your son make sure his hardware drivers and software he uses are all updated. I'd also update the antivirus/antispyware app's he uses and do a full scan with them in Safe Mode.b

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I installed SP1 about two months ago, when the download sites were originally posted on this forum. No negative issues to report as of yet. I have both the 32 & 64 bit versions saved to a flash drive, have used them on several installs.

The one positive that I can report is that from the time that I press the power button to start my desktop, is that I have internet about 10 seconds faster. Nothing to set the woods on fire, but any improvement is better than none.

Finally, when MS released it's statement about SP1, they clearly stated that there would be no major changes, and that for the most part, it was a collection of what we have, or have been offered. There is an anti-piracy update (KB971033) that many users refused, that's included with SP1.

If there is anything even remotely negative to report, it's the install time of the pack. For those with higher end systems, this time is probably shortened. Mine is not high end (see my specs), therefore it took around an hour.

There are a few things that you can do that may make things better for you. First, make sure that your drive is defragged. Secondly, create a full backup (image) of your computer prior to installing the pack, and create a restore point. Third, disable your AV, that may slow things down, as it scans the downloaded pack, and in some rare cases, may block the install (this I read on MS's install instructions).

After the successful install, use CCleaner to purge your system of temporary system files (uncheck the 24 hour wait option in the Advanced settings menu) be sure to defrag your drive once again (did your son do this?), it will need it, and run a full scan with the AV of your choice (please, don't use AVG, it's problematic with Windows 7). The ESET Online Scanner will be fine to use.

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

Make sure to run this in IE, as you'll be able to select more options as to how to scan.

If you do these things, although they may be time consuming, you'll have a better experience with SP1.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's also a good idea to run the Disk Cleanup service in Windows 7, it will get rid of the extraneous files left over from the SP1 install.

The are places where you can get the DVD install ISO images with the SP1 already integrated. There are ISO images for all versions and editions.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I'm working on getting mine now. I already have the all of the 32 bit Win 7 SP1 versions, now I'm doing the 64 bit ones. davehc reported (in another thread) that the install with SP1 built in took hardly no longer than the version with no SP.

Right now, the only place that I know of to get these sets is from TechNet or MSDN, TechNet has a $199 Desktop Membership (1 year), you get 2 keys for each version, plus all Office packages (2003, XP Professional, 2007 & 2010), many versions of XP, and Vista SP2 :)thumpdown:). But your keys has no time limits, and are still good, even after your membership expires.

One thing to note though, these are evaluation versions, you cannot sell (or lend) them, and if you decide to sell a computer with any of this software installed, you MUST remove it prior to the physical transfer of the computer. As much installing/uninstalling/reinstalling, running VM's, and testing that I do, I need this program. Right now, I'm a Pro subscriber, but I'll probably revert to a Desktop subscribtion once my term ends.

I'm saving up for a new notebook computer, plus a new build, so my cash for expensive software is getting limited. If my notebook will last long enough, I may wait for the next version of Windows to buy one. Hopefully, at that time, I can get a really good Toshiba at a discounted price. Like prior to the Windows 7 release, computer sales were slow, and there were really good deals, and not all of them were low end ones.

Hopefully, these links will soon be freely available, just as the non-SP ones have been since sometime in 2009.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies...Sorry I should have said "Win7 Ultimate 64bit".. we both have the same Win7 but different pc configurations ... He didnt make a new backup or prepare in anyway (defrag etc.) so I suppose it is a lesson to not take updates for granted..he has had to use a backup from a few weeks ago..Since getting my Acronis 2010 running properly on this pc I now automatically incrementaly backup every Sunday..Cheers:)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Regarding the different editions, it really shouldn't make any difference. So far as a defrag is concerned, I did two computers today and waited to defrag after the SP1 install.

What issues is your son having?

Reaction score
Just did the update on mine. The SP1 install seems to have gone smoothly although a 2nd less important one gave me grief. Windows Explorer kept crashing and re-starting, I the end I had to do a force shutdown, the subsequent re-boot seemed to fix things.

Reaction score
Hi!..Outlook Express giving problems also market trading software not working properly, evidently other people are having the same problem and the company concerned are working on this..no answer yet..the backup install appears to be sus..and he is now considering a new full install!! ...SP1 should not be able to change any BIOS settings???
I will probably leave my sys. alone for a few days and try the update on a spare HD first!!:)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The SP1 does not change anything in the BIOS at all.

Also, it seems to take about an hour or two after the SP1 install for the computer to "settle down" a bit and for the HDD light to show lesser drive activity.

Reaction score
Outlook Express is for Windows XP. In Windows Vista Outlook Express was done away with and replaced with Windows Mail. Windows Mail was done away with in Windows 7 and replaced with Windows Live Mail, which is part of Windows Live Essentials.

Reaction score
No problems with Service Pack 1 here. It's running on all cylinders without hiccups.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ultimate: Home Premium. SP1 installed on both. Disk cleanup and ccleaner run with its defaults. All latest updates since installed. No problems.
Be warned. Please do not take offence, no fingers pointed at anyone, but SP1 does include in the updates, the previous anti pirate measues it posted (as updates) which check the "Genuine Advantage" functions.

Original quote from Microsoft:

"WGA consists of two components: an installable component called WGA Notifications that hooks into Winlogon and validates the Windows license upon each logon and an ActiveX control that checks the validity of the Windows license when downloading certain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or Windows Update."

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have upgraded 5 systems (64-bit Win7 Pro and Home Premium, and 32-bit Home Premium), all via Windows Update with absolutely no problems. The fastest took just over 15 minutes from the start of download to reboot and ready to go. This was done between 7 and 9:30am (CST, UTC -6). The slowest took 51 minutes at 9pm, with the download taking longer than the other machines, I suspect due to busy servers.

I did encounter a problem I thought was with SP1. It seems when my system went to Hybrid sleep, it simply shut off so I had to hit the power button to restart (instead of wiggling the mouse, or pressing a key), and then when it came back up, I was presented with that screen telling me Windows is recovering from an unexpected shutdown (or something to that effect). Nothing in Event Viewer - Not happy. But then I remembered I installed two other updates at the same time as SP1 so I uninstalled them, and Ta Da! Hybrid sleep works perfectly again.

FWIW the two "optional" updates were KB2484033 and KB2488113. They were installed with other systems, so it may have been a fluke. I will re-install each update one at a time next week and see what happens.

As with other OS SPs, I recommend "prepping" the computer before installing SP1. That is, make sure it is working perfectly first. Do not use SP1 to fix a broken computer. Make sure is fully updated and clean of malware. I usually run CCleaner first to clean out the clutter and help ensure the SP1 files are laid down in sequence (not fragmented) as much as possible.

Reaction score
I have been running SP1 Final for well over a month now since it was first leaked in January and was on Softpedia for a day or two until MS had them take it down. I have experienced not problem with SP1 and the various programs that I run. If downloading for the first time I would recommend turning off you AV it will speed up your download in most cases. Make sure you machine is free of malware, Spyware. Run a check with you various protection programs first.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Update:

This was my problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510090/ (thanks rube and cm)

I had a corrupt file or a leftover file from an uninstall of MSE last May.
Microsoft acknowledged it but offered no real fixes.

Now I have a clean new install of W7 32bit SP-1 in the office. All attempts at repair installs failed as well as manual registry cleaning.

Onward to the next 2.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Do I have to install SP1? That is the question.

If it's not broken, why fix it?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
SP1 is not just a roll-up of all previous updates. It has some other minor tweaks and enhanced features, some that do affect home users. If you have been keeping your system updated, then there's no rush. But you should update it anyway as keeping our systems current is just part of practicing safe computing.

The fact this SP does not bring major - gotta have now - features is actually an indication that Windows 7 was pretty refined from the start - a good thing.

Understand, happy people don't complain. There are already 10s of millions of Windows 7 users who have successfully installed SP1 with no problems whatsoever.

Ask a Question