WIN7 Installed on 32Gb SSD - Free space oddly squizzed to 200Mb left

Reaction score
Hello people. New on the forum :)

I have a computer with two internal hard drives. One simple 1Tb HDD where I install everything I have, from softwares to games. And I have a 32Gb SSD where I installed WIN7.

Unfortunatly Win7 seems to be eating 21Gb of that SSD (as seen in the Windows repertory folder located in the C: Drive (which is the SSD) ). Not mentioning a 32Gb drive only has 29,5Gb working space. So I originally only have 8.5Gb of free space.
Now including the Hibernation file which is approximately 6Gb, I have 2,5Gb free. Until a few days ago the free space balanced between 2.5 and 3Gb. Good enough for me, except some times my graphic work won't load because I already have too many projects open, but I can handle such issues properly. It doesn't bother me. Now what REALLY bothers me is that after an Avast Update I saw my free spaced squizzed down to 1,3Gb ... I rebooted thinking it's only the memory, but after a reboot I only had 300mb left. And after another reboot, only 200mb left ... and now I can't free any more space. I used Ccleaner as usual, but it can't find me more space to free ... So I uninstalled Avast thinking it must be a log file or something ... but i just retrieved the free space Avast was taking when installed ... so now I think of ghost files. See I was in tunisia for a month, and in Tunisia worms, Trojans and viruses aren't common they are everywhere. I got hacked multiple times during this month, just by login on Fb or so. Even got phished when using a public internet connection in a coffee. I mean I spent a month building security on my PC. Still a few days before a leave I got one of my external HDD infected by a virus that prevented me from accessing any folders from that drive. It got blocked by avast and microsoft security essentials instantly when I connected it back to my laptop (infected from a public computer where I have to go to get an internet connection. They forbid people to use their own machines, so I had to connect an eternal drive to retrieve some important files to my laptop), I finally cleaned the virus using UsbFIX, got it vaccinated also using the same program.
But today I think my laptop may have been infected by this virus even if full and deep virus scans dont find anything. I never fully trust an Anti Virus, and I think the virus might have made his way through my computer because now I have some folders on the C drive that cant be accessed such as pictures, videos etc, but I can access them if I use an alternate path or something. It says the access is denied because it can't find the location of the folder. It's behaving exactly the same as the virus that infected my external drive.

Now I tried performing a boot up scan to get rid of any virus stuck in my memory, but the scan took like ... 15s and after the boot up nothing had changed, folders still unaccessable.
I checked every folder in the Local Disk C: (the SSD), there IS a hole of 2.4 something GB. The amount of free space SHOULD be 2.5Gb ... but I suppose there are some ghost files ? What is it ? Is my SSD used by a warez or other hackers for those ridiculous 2.5Gb ?

I got rid of Avast already and can't reinstall it since it tells me I don't have enough free space anymore ... When Firefox is closed, when everything is closed except Skype and dropbox and the firewalls, I have 564MB left today since I uninstalled Avast. I performed a Wipe Free space via Ccleaner but couldnt get much more.

I am today BEGGING for help. I need to retrieve at least those 2.5Gb, it's VITAL for this laptop. So please if any of you have any idea, help me :'( !!!

EDIT : I temporarly got rid of the Hibernation file using a cmd line. But I'm the kind of person who uses hibernation as I travel a lot. So it's a pretty short term solution while I find someone to help me.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Have you dumped your system restore points?

Try Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast.

If your laptop is 64bit, you are right on the edge, for space. 64 Gig is much safer.

Reaction score
Have you dumped your system restore points?

Try Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast.

If your laptop is 64bit, you are right on the edge, for space. 64 Gig is much safer.
Will try dumping them. Keep you in touch.

I already use Microsoft Security Essentials as stated in the first message of mine. And I didn't reinstall Avast.

Yes my laptop is Win7 64bits ... wasn't aware it needs more space :/ ...

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I find the easiest way to delete old system restore files is in ccleaner>tools>system restore. They list the dates and why they were created. You can delete all but the most recent.

Another thing is the page file allocation. How much ram does your laptop have?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Deleting old system restore points is no solution for many reasons - but primarily because Windows Restore, by default will reduce its footprint when disk space is low - to the point of totally disabling itself if disk space becomes critical.

With only a 32Gb drive, ANYTHING you do is only temporary as Windows needs lots of free disk space just for normal operation.

Your ONLY solution is to buy a bigger SSD, or add a second drive.

I performed a Wipe Free space via Ccleaner but couldnt get much more.
It wouldn't. All wipe free space does is ensure there is no retrievable data in your free space. It is like washing a chalk board that has already been totally erased. The space on the board available for writing is exactly the same - just cleaner.

Yes my laptop is Win7 64bits ... wasn't aware it needs more space :/ ...
The difference is really insignificant; 2 - 3Gb after a fresh install. The problem, if you can call it that, is 64-bit Windows includes support for 32-bit programs too. But 64-bit is, by far, a better OS, and in Windows 7 and Windows 8, the 64-bit versions have more security features.

As for the PF, you can disable it to save some disk space and with an ample amount of RAM, you may not notice any performance hit. But disabling the PF is not ideal and there is no evidence anywhere that says with lots of RAM, disabling the PF is better. Windows and many programs were designed to use a PF, even if lots of RAM is available. Therefore, disabling the PF is also a temporary measure and NOT a solution. You need to buy more disk space. Period.

Even if you do get your current disk consumption down, that too is temporary as Windows and programs updates sure to come in the coming weeks, along with constant saving of temporary files, will rapidly consume it up again.

The only solution is a larger drive.

Reaction score
All right so I will go buy a 64Gb SSD. Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Now my question is : Can I replace an internal SSD ? Or then, I know I can install Win7 on an external SSD, but is it possible to run two Win7 ? I mean one on the 32 SSD, and one on an external 64Gb ? I bet it's impossible to run both at the same time, but will it work if I chose between one of them at the boot up ? I know it sounds a bit wicked but it'd do me much favor !

Reaction score
Samsung SSD coming with software to transfer an existing boot disk to the newer SSD ... awesome. I'll go for this option then. Thank you very much again.
I wanted to keep this Win7 Install for a few reasons, but if I can replace the internal SSD then it's easier.

Thank you so much for clearing it all for me.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would check the description before buying to make sure. My is the Samsung 840 PRO Series 256GB SSD and note at the bottom where it says comes with data migration software. I suspect the other makers do the same, at least for their larger (and more expensive) drives.

Personally, I think 64Gb is still too small as a boot disk. Remember, Windows, all your hardware drivers, programs, and data files, must fit and still leave room for OS operations.

I recommend at least 120Gb - 128Gb then you will not have to worry about disk space, unless you start loading it up with large programs, tunes, or video files.

I note this 120Gb comes with the migration software too.

Reaction score
All righty then, I take not of all these informations. On monday I'll go buy myself a 120Gb.
Also, I think I forgot to define this, but I'm not using a tower, just a notebook, thus my question about my ability to switch for a new SSD. I read your 250Gb SSD is 7" thicker for ultraportables and notebooks, hope I can fit one. I'll check infos of my SSD and see if it's an easy one to replace.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"7 inches thinker?" No!

It says,"At only 7 millimeters thick and weighing just 2 ounces, the 840 PRO Series SSD has a thin, lightweight design that can make your laptop lighter to carry."

Reaction score
My bad, I live in Europe using the metric system, I'm not used to inches ;) !

Ask a Question