win7 64bit install problem / black screen

Reaction score
Hello!

I bought win7 on friday installed it on my laptop over the weekend and it was no problem, today i wanted to install it on my other pc, and its not really working so well...

i deleted all partitions, tried a clean install.
at first it looks good every time, then the pc restarts (before the completing install point, if i remember it correct from the install on laptop it´s surposed to restart there) and then while its working on the last point, the screen just goes black with a blinking _ on the top left side. waited for ages but it doesnt seem to do anything. tried to restart and the windows logo apears, and then the screen freezes again on the logo.
tried reinstalling like 5 times now, always the same.

my machine specs are:

Mainboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Graphics: Asus EN9800GX2/G/2GDI
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 750gb
4gig RAM

i really hope some1 can help me! Thanks in advance for your time!

*edit* tried starting in safe mode now, it said it cant finish the setup in safe mode, and that i should restart in normal mode. well i did, and i got stuck at the windows logo again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi eden - Welcome to w7forums

Would you happen to have a different graphics card? I don't know what the deal is with Windows being so picky about the graphics cards that are used during install. I wouldn't think you would have trouble with a nVidia 9800 but I wouldn't be surprised.

Other things you can try
reset your BIOS to default values.
disconnect all devices that are not needed during install (printers, scanners, camera, USB Sticks, etc..)
remove all memory except one module and see if that helps the install.
remove all drives except the one that you are installing Windows too.

Reaction score
tried the memory thing, tried the bios-default settings, disconnected all devices and i only have 1 hdd. couldnt try reinstalling with another graphics card, cause the only old ones i have dont fit in the pci-e slots.

do you think trying to reinstall vista and using the upgrade function is worth a shot?

any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Its worth a shot.

However you should know that you can only upgrade the same bit version. (Vista 32-Bit to Win7 32-Bit) or (Vista 64-Bit to Win7 64-Bit)

If you are changing bit versions a clean install is the only way to do so.

I wish I knew why you are having this issue. It's not making any since :(

PS - Have you looked this board up and read some of the reviews?
This board has got to be one of ASUS biggest mistakes. Plenty of people upset and no Windows 7 drivers.

Reaction score
huh... well i guess ill be sticking with vista a bit longer till i can buy a new board.
i bought it when it was pretty new and well, i read it was not bad at that time. heard a lot of complaints about it too later. but personally i never had problems with it till now.

thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Typically, on Asus boards (which I am running) that little blinking cursor at the top left of a black screen only occurs during a startup (or reboot) when the BIOS can't find a bootable drive.
Furthermore, this can occur if you plug in a USB flash drive (typically for Raid drivers).
During the next reboot in the Win7 install, the BIOS will change its priority boot device to the USB flash drive (which if it only has raid drivers on it will not be bootable) and thus the halt and the black screen.
2 solutions:
Either unplug the usb flash drive when win7 wants to reboot during the install.
or
Use a floppy disk for raid drivers and do not plug any usb devices in during the install except for your mouse and keyboard.
Good Luck!

Ask a Question