Win Live essentials update

Reaction score
Thanks dave

I've installed it on my machine. :)

I think we should mention this is a Windows Live Essentials Beta Install.
I didn't catch that fact till I started installing, its all good though.

Reaction score
I tried using it a few times....but it kept reeking havoc with my machine. I'll wait till the bugs are worked out.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Much nicer! I'll be updating to this (I still use it for a secondary account, along side Outlook 2010). :D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What bugs Bas?s I'm OK with it. Mayb ewe can throw out a couple of ideas

Reaction score
Mainly with Messenger.....it dorked up my VIA HD onboard sound (wouldn't find a mic), was constantly crashing and the big one no uninstaller, had to use a restore date...that was the first go around. The second go around it had a uninstaller but still kept messing up my sound. I'll just wait.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have Windows Live Mail installed on my computer, but there's one thing that concerns me. When I go to Hotmail through the browser, there's the option to log out for security.

With the Mail option in the Start Menu, I see no option to log out, even though I've carefully looked. Does it work the same as a program, you close it, and that's it?

I'm new to checking email this way, I'm used to doing it through the browser, but members have told me that the program is a far safer option. I just want to make sure that when I close the page, the program is closed.

And I also am going to install the beta, but only on one OS. I do use beta software often, but never have with my email.

Cat

Reaction score
I've noticed the message list does not refresh correctly when you show/hide the Ribbon Bar. Nothing serious though because selecting a new folder will refresh the list.

All in all, I like the new design. Of coarse I don't have a problem with the Ribbon Bar either. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't think I am having that problem Cliff. Could you post a step by step as to what you mean?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Cat. Are you referring to the live ID? It is, as you probably know, optional to sign in (and out)
But here are my before and after pics.

View attachment 1552 View attachment 1553

If I click, in my example, David, I am given the option to log out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right click the Menu Bar and select "Minimize the Ribbon".
Notice how the above screen shot has duplicate visuals on the screen now that the Ribbon Bar is no longer visible.
Everything is fine once I change folders, making the screen refresh for the image below.

Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try this.
Select "message list" (Under the view bar)

Select "One line view"

See if that suits you. Maybe it will introduce another prob which you don't need!

Reaction score
Since you had me try the view option.

The one line view is where the problem is at, the two line view works fine. Hmm

So now we have narrowed the problem down to the "one line view" message list regardless of the "reading pane" position.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't have the beta yet, but I intend to install it on one OS this week. What I was referring to is the mainstream Windows Live Mail, I don't see a place to sign out. When I check email through the browser, I do have that option.

So that's why I was asking, when you close Win Live Mail, does it close itself, just like programs do, being that it is a program?

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Cliff.
I tried every conceivable option but was unable to eradicate that problem. I have lodged it as a bug with the live team and, unless a member can, meanwhile, come up with a fix, I am going to wait on it.

Cat::
You should have mentioned you were referring to an earlier release. This thread is chatting about the new update, which has changed a few things.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll get it installed in the morning. I attempted to install it on XP (where I'm at now), the requirements to install is to have at least Vista SP2.

It looks like a really better Windows Live Mail. I hope that it works out better than the IE9 beta did.

Cat

Reaction score
So that's why I was asking, when you close Win Live Mail, does it close itself, just like programs do, being that it is a program?

Cat
I run Live mail standalone. When I load it there is a tab at the top right corner to sign in, I don't ever use it. When I'm done I just close the program in the same way as I would have done with Outlook or Thunderbird.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
See my second post. This is only if you wish to operate your live ID, It is optional, and only of real use if you are using some of Microsoft's other facilities.

http://explore.live.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I installed it with NO problems at all. I like it. I didn't install parental controls and messenger.:D

Ask a Question