Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New hardware only fix for Win 7 64 Bit

• Create a dual boot Win 7 32 Bit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I just installed a new Gateway FX6803-25 w/Win 7 Home and 9GB mem. I've been trying to install the Netgeaar WG111v2 wireless adapter so I may connect thru my Netgear WGR614 Router. I downloaded the Version 4.0 software from the Netgear site http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/713/related/1 which is suppose to support Win 7. The software installs, however; the WG111 is not recognized by Win 7 when installed per instructions. The Netgear wizard icon appears on the desktop but just produces a small thumbnail picture on the taskbar. I checked the Microsoft compatiblility website and it okays the WG111v2 for win 7 32 bit operation, but not 64 bit. Netgear site indicates the new software update should work. I was hopeful short of buying a new adapter someone might have a solution to my problem.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's strange as it should work ok for you. Does the Netgear icon in the system tray do anything when you left/right/double click on it? What happens if you launch the Netgear wizard desktop shortcut as an Administrator - just right click the icon and select "run as Administrator".

Have you tried using Windows update to see if your system can pick up drivers from that? (Assuming you can connect to the net). You'd need to uninstall the Netgear provided ones first.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I had some problems with a netgear, previously. I got some information from somewhere on the web. These were my notes.
After switching ont he router, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it (marked 1 through 4. )
Next open a web browser window on the (hopefully) now connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page.
click OK to begin the configuration.
The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.
Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select your country from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.
You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to http://www.routerlogin.net to continue the configuration.
A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK.

Reaction score
That's strange as it should work ok for you. Does the Netgear icon in the system tray do anything when you left/right/double click on it? What happens if you launch the Netgear wizard desktop shortcut as an Administrator - just right click the icon and select "run as Administrator".

Have you tried using Windows update to see if your system can pick up drivers from that? (Assuming you can connect to the net). You'd need to uninstall the Netgear provided ones first.
Thanks Ian, I had tried just about everything including microsoft and Gateway. The Microsoft site indicates compatibility with X86 32 bit non-compatibility with 64bit...So I went out and purchased a linksys adapter which Win 7 immediately recognized and set-up. As a matter of fact I'm using the connection in this reply. Again thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I had some problems with a netgear, previously. I got some information from somewhere on the web. These were my notes.
After switching ont he router, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it (marked 1 through 4. )
Next open a web browser window on the (hopefully) now connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page.
click OK to begin the configuration.
The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.
Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select your country from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.
You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to http://www.routerlogin.net to continue the configuration.
A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK.
Thanks for the suggestion...decided to buy new Linksys which worked perfectly.

Ask a Question