SOLVED win 7 startup issue

Reaction score
When i start my desktop pc which has win 7 os I get a black screen which gives me three options
1.start windows 7
2.start prior operating system
3.start recovery console

it then gives me 25 seconds to make a decision and if i do nothing it starts Win 7 as i want ti to. Usually i simply hit any key and it automatically starts win 7 without making me wait for the 25 seconds.

I would really like to eliminate these options from the start up process but dont know how. I figure there must me something in the BIOS where i can change this so that on start up all i get is Win 7 as my OS unless i hit F8 to get into safe mode etc.

Can anyone help me understand where and how to correct this nuisance? Thanks very much.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Click the Windows Start button and select "Run." Enter "msconfig" into the text box and press the "Ok" button. This opens the MSConfig application.

Click the "Boot" tab. In the list of operating systems, click the one you want to always boot and press "Set as Default." In the "Timeout" text box, enter 0. This causes the machine to skip the boot manager.

Press the "Ok" button. Reboot, and enjoy life.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Instead of entering 0, I recommend entering 5 (you may need to adjust this slightly). In this way, you will be still see those 3 options, but they will only appear for about 3 seconds (that's why you need to play with the number a bit).

3 seconds is plenty long to select one of the alternatives, if you need to - but fast enough that it will quickly move on automatically without being annoying.

Many (like me) like to add Safe Mode as another option.

I figure there must me something in the BIOS where i can change this
No. This has nothing to do with the BIOS.

Reaction score
;thanks for the suggestions. it worked perfectly. one big pain in the butt eliminated! It has motivated me to do some self ed on the whole msconfig area . i have used it to keep my start menu cleaned up for years but never used other parts of it. i am particularly interested in understanding how to use the SERVICES TAB. I note all of the programs listed there are checked, but on the right side most are also listed as "STOPPED". i am generally just looking for ways to speed up my desktop as fir sine reason it seems to have slowed down recently. I routinely run all kinds of free utilities to optimize its speed etc,but lately nothing seems to work.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting tool and should not be used to set permanent configurations.

I routinely run all kinds of free utilities to optimize its speed etc,but lately nothing seems to work.
And I routinely recommend avoiding programs that promise to optimize speed - especially with newer versions of Windows.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are definitely some services, such as Adobe ARM that can be stopped or even deleted.

Basically if you you are considering disabling any services, start by clicking the "Hide Microsoft" services button. What is left are things that were installed when you installed your software programs. These are your best and safest choices if you are actually going to shut down services. Please note, if your anti-virus software is not Microsoft Security Essentials then probably 2 or 3 services in this list are for your A/V, don't disable those.

For the more confident user you can look at the Microsoft services but you have to be extremely careful as some services are dependent on others. I disabled the Homegroup services because I hate Homegroups and I knew it was safe.

So yes you can tweak the services a bit if you are careful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bill...could you expand on your last comments for my education? I primarily use the Advanced System Care set of utilities plus several other free tools recommended by CNET and AVG tools for anti virus protection. Is AVC the kind of program you recommend avoiding? If so what is the alternative in trying to keep a system "bug free"for a person with only average computer technical experience?

Thanks for your help.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Is AVC the kind of program you recommend avoiding?
I don't know what AVC is. If you mean Advanced System Care (ASC), then yes. You don't need it.

If so what is the alternative in trying to keep a system "bug free"for a person with only average computer technical experience?
You don't need any alternatives. If you keep Windows updated and patched, you use a suitable firewall (and Windows own is just fine), you use a suitable anti-malware solution (I use MSE), and you avoid risky behavior like illegal filesharing, you don't need gimmick programs like Advanced System Care.

Keeping Windows running smoothly and bug free is certainly a top priority at Microsoft. There is absolutely no reason to suggest the many top-tier programmers employed by Microsoft don't already know what they are doing. Nor is there any reason to suggest the folks with ASC and like programs know what is best for you better than MS.

Windows 7 is not XP or before - and that's where virtually all these gimmicks originated from.

C-NET reviews are not professional. They don't do blind AB comparisons and neither do users who do user reviews. They say "slight improvement" but don't say how or where - no specifics with measured and tested findings - which means the improvements are most likely due to the placebo affect - or the same as what you would get if you cleaned out the clutter with Windows own Disk Cleanup.

Reviews don't report any significant improvements - and generally are pretty ho -hum, like this and this.

If these gimmicky programs that promised to make your hardware perform better than ever were real, the genuine hardware review sites would be all over them. And they aren't. They typically just eat up disk space and RAM without doing anything Windows own tools cannot do.

That particular program has a lot of features under one roof, and that may be convenient, but you do not need it to keep your system bug free.

Understand I like CCleaner and regularly use the Registry cleaner feature because it is NOT aggressive. But never, as in never-ever, do I say, or would I suggest any Registry cleaner improves performance. There is just no concrete evidence anywhere to suggest they do - especially with current OSs. Windows, and particularly Windows 7 and Windows 8 are very refined programs. They already contain all the maintenance tools you need.

Reaction score
wow....glad i asked for your help. I'm not really a computer technician beyond installing hardware from time to time. Since i retired many years ago i have had my share of system crashes where i ultimately had to format my hard drive and start over with a clean install of my OS. Most of that happened when i had XP on my desktop.Since i installed Win 7 havent had as much of a problem. Not being very experienced in computers other than what i taught myself the hard way I have relied very much on Cnet reviews etc to help me select a variety of programs to maintain my pc. Based on what you are saying Im not sure what to do going forward. I guess i need to search the net for guidance on using MS programs as the primary way to maintain my computer. Win 7 seems to have a lot of programs to do that or to help repair /fix problems than any prior Windows OS ever did. Having seen how "costly" computer crashes can be in both time and loss of valuable information I have probably followed a "more is better" philosophy approach on using various free utilities. I will carefully review your comments again and feel sure they will help me figure out how to proceed from here.
Thank you.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, I am not saying you need to get rid of that program. I am just saying just saying it is not really needed.

Reaction score
OK. i was just reviewing the list of freeware found elsewhere in the forum .It is certainly extensive. I have used a bunch of the listed programs over the years. I have used AVG anti virus software for about 5 years or more and wondered why it isnt listed as one of the better free anti virus programs available. Do you have any opinion of AVG, standing alone or relative to the several programs listed ? Thanks.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't have anything to do with that list but I can tell you why I stopped using AVG a few years ago. First, it was not because I got infected. I didn't. Security is not the problem. But bloat, stability, and conflicts with other programs became a problem for many, including me. I got REALLY tired of AVG trying to force me into paying for their full security suite. I don't don't like suites because they typically include much more than anybody needs.

For example, the firewall that comes with Windows is already included and works great. MSE is a compact, efficient anti-malware solution - that is free, does not push for a paid version, and works.

If we keep our computers, Windows, and our security programs current and we don't participate in risky behavior like illegal file-sharing via torrents or P2P sites, we don't need fancy, bloated resource hogging suites.

Reaction score
i agree that avg overdoes it in trying to get people to upgrade to the programs you pay for, but i figured all free anti virus programs do the same. Maybe i should try one of the ones on the list like Avira. I have just always stuck with a program if it worked for me and AVG has worked well. I am not familiar with MSE . i will look it up on the net.
Thanks again for your helpful advice.,

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but i figured all free anti virus programs do the same.
Nope. But Avira does. MSE may be the only one that doesn't - perhaps because Microsoft does not sell a full suite.

See here and since you are running 64-bit, be sure to select that one.

Ask a Question