WIN 7 Activation

Reaction score
Hi guys, Since installing certain WIN 7 updates I'm getting a small screen re activation with to "ignore" options I click on these and I'm told that Windows Activation was successful. I get this every time I reboot., and it's getting annoying. My WIN 7 Ultimate is a genuine version. Can anyone help me to get rid of this screen? Regards, Colin

Reaction score
............. I click on these..............
What are "these" ?
Exactly what did you click on ?

.......... I'm told that Windows Activation was successful.............

Check and make sure......
Click the Start menu > right side, click Computer > at the toolbar , click System Properties > at the bottom, under Windows Activation, does it say " Windows is activated " ?

Reaction score
............. I click on these..............
What are "these" ?
Exactly what did you click on ?

.......... I'm told that Windows Activation was successful.............

Check and make sure......
Click the Start menu > right side, click Computer > at the toolbar , click System Properties > at the bottom, under Windows Activation, does it say " Windows is activated " ?
Yes it does,
and to answer your first question. It's when I click on either of the "Ignore" which are shown in blue on the left hand side of the window, which says "Windows Activation was successful. ( After I click "Ignore".. Plus I never had this problem since I purchased WIN 7 Ultimate when it first came out. Only since one of the updates a couple of weeks ago. I can restore to a earlier (18th Oct) and it works fine. The trouble with that is, it will only happen again when the particular update re installs.

Reaction score
..............I can restore to a earlier (18th Oct) and it works fine. The trouble with that is, it will only happen again when the particular update re installs...............

Assuming that "particular update" is really the culprit.........
1. Make sure you set your Windows Update to Manual . This step is important.
2. Do the system restore again.
3. When the same update appears for install, RIGHT click at it > click Hide.
That will stop the same update re-appearing for install.

That done, post the KB number of that update back here.
One of the experts may be able to tell you why and what to do with that update. I am not qualified to tackle that.

Reaction score
..............I can restore to a earlier (18th Oct) and it works fine. The trouble with that is, it will only happen again when the particular update re installs...............

Assuming that "particular update" is really the culprit.........
1. Make sure you set your Windows Update to Manual . This step is important.
2. Do the system restore again.
3. When the same update appears for install, RIGHT click at it > click Hide.
That will stop the same update re-appearing for install.

That done, post the KB number of that update back here.
One of the experts may be able to tell you why and what to do with that update. I am not qualified to tackle that.
The only trouble with that suggestion is 1, I have no idea what the KB number is, 2. It came in with multiple other KB's. 3. I already have my updates set to manual but sometimes Windows doesn't notify me, or I miss the notification, then when I close down it starts to install these multiple updates. This has happed twice now and the only solution I can see is to restore back to the 18th then stop all updates, which is a course I don't want to take..

Reaction score
........It came in with multiple other KB's. ............

How many ?
Would the following suggestion be too much to tackle ?...........
Restore again.
When the same set of updates reappear, install them ONE At A TIME.
Test if it causes issue.
If no problem, go to next update....... and so on.
If you supposition is correct, you will single out the culprit. Then, "hide" that update.

Reaction score
Hiding the update would only be side stepping the issue. It is possible that there will be an update every month that will trigger the deactivation. If an update is triggering an deactivation, MS should be called to verify a false positive or not. Either way MS is the only one that can help with activation issues, that can't be solved through the normal activation process.

My advice would be to follow the activation by phone method and contact MS.

Reaction score
Hiding the update would only be side stepping the issue. It is possible that there will be an update every month that will trigger the deactivation. If an update is triggering an deactivation, MS should be called to verify a false positive or not. Either way MS is the only one that can help with activation issues, that can't be solved through the normal activation process.

My advice would be to follow the activation by phone method and contact MS.
Thanks for your help guy's, I think I'm going to put it in the too hard basket, to restore back to the 18th would lose too much data. I will live with just clicking "ignore" every time I reboot.

Reaction score
If you are working a test for installation of windows 7 such as the beta or release candidate versions, you cannot need the renew option during windows 7 installation. Rather, you can shift files and settings to a new installation of windows 7 or restore the windows vista backup you discovered before upgrading.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When I first read this I thought maybe it was a virus rather than something real from Microsoft; could you post a screenshot of the popup?

I would scan your system for viruses.

If it is real then I suspect something is messed up in your registry, perhaps an overly aggressive registry cleaner, and some WAT entries got deleted or damaged. You could try a system restore to a a restore point prior to the issue but if you don't have any restore points old enough then I think you should consider a total reinstall.

Ask a Question