Why I Went 64 bit

Reaction score
When I bought Vista I couldn't find 32-bit drivers so I didn't even consider 64-bit. I was also under the impression that a lot of my programs wouldn't run.

I downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows7 beta on day one and loaded the 32-bit. I liked Windows7. I read on various Windows7 forums that people were having good luck with drivers for 64-bit so I decided I might as well give it a shot while I could do it for free.

I installed 64-bit. It wasn't seamless. Getting my Intel SMBus drivers running took awhile. Getting my HP Laserjet 1020 printer running was worse but it wasn't that good in 32-bit. I got both done. My sound, video, and other drivers weren't a problem to find and they work well.

One of my programs wouldn't install. It was Microsoft Bookshelf in Spanish. The Pentax codecs to view raw files in Windows wouldn't install. Microsoft Office 2003 installed and runs without any glitches. My really old Random House Websters Unabridged Dictionary installed and runs fine. I have fewer programs to install now because Windows handles my DVD writing and HD defragging.

I have only two 64-bit capable programs: IE8 and Lightroom2. I like the way both run in 64-bit. Snappy.

So, my free test drive has led me to order more RAM, it's pretty cheap right now, and to decide to buy the 64-bit when it hits the market.

Oh, my computer is pretty minimal when it comes to 64-bit. I am running the Intel E6550 processor with 4Gb of RAM.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I too will be making the jump to 64 bit this time around. I've got a quad core (with only 2GB ram, but I might upgrade that) so it makes sense for me to make the most of it :)

When Vista came out I avoided it because of the driver problems, but now that most new computers are coming with 64 bit CPUs it seems like a good time to make the switch as everything should be well supported.

Out of interest, did you notice any difference in performance between 32 and 64 bit?

Reaction score
With 32-bit programs I noticed no difference. System operation and 64-bit programs seem faster.

It's like a chicken and the egg problem. There aren't many programs in 64-bit because there's not much demand and moving to 64-bit is held back by limited programs that support 64-bit. It's my opinion, and nothing more, that we're on the cusp of seeing more 64-bit programs.

In the U.S., getting another 2Gb of RAM would run you about $30. I've never tried Windows7 beta 64-bit with 2Gb, but other users say you need 4Gb to see any difference in performance.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Patrick, I did some reading after I read your first post and it looks like others have the same experience too (for example : this blog post).

You've tempted me to install a dual boot 32bit and 64 bit version of Windows 7 to see the difference (once I've got up to 4GB anyway). It's about £20 (~$30) for 2GB of DDR2 here too, it seems to have dropped in price so much recently (great!!!).

Reaction score
mostly i went to 64 becoz i have 4 gb of ram installed and 32 bit cud operate only with 3.2 gb

so with 64 bit im thinking to add some more ram , maybe up to 8 gb

Reaction score
When I bought Vista I couldn't find 32-bit drivers so I didn't even consider 64-bit. I was also under the impression that a lot of my programs wouldn't run.

I downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows7 beta on day one and loaded the 32-bit. I liked Windows7. I read on various Windows7 forums that people were having good luck with drivers for 64-bit so I decided I might as well give it a shot while I could do it for free.

I installed 64-bit. It wasn't seamless. Getting my Intel SMBus drivers running took awhile. Getting my HP Laserjet 1020 printer running was worse but it wasn't that good in 32-bit. I got both done. My sound, video, and other drivers weren't a problem to find and they work well.

One of my programs wouldn't install. It was Microsoft Bookshelf in Spanish. The Pentax codecs to view raw files in Windows wouldn't install. Microsoft Office 2003 installed and runs without any glitches. My really old Random House Websters Unabridged Dictionary installed and runs fine. I have fewer programs to install now because Windows handles my DVD writing and HD defragging.

I have only two 64-bit capable programs: IE8 and Lightroom2. I like the way both run in 64-bit. Snappy.

So, my free test drive has led me to order more RAM, it's pretty cheap right now, and to decide to buy the 64-bit when it hits the market.

Oh, my computer is pretty minimal when it comes to 64-bit. I am running the Intel E6550 processor with 4Gb of RAM.
Hello Patrick

How did you managed to instal your printer driver for your HP 1020 with Win 7? No luck for me yet.

Martin
Montreal, Canada

Reaction score
Ah, HP 1020. I've generally liked my HP printers but they must have the worst drivers in the world. It was always a nightmare in Vista for me and it was worse with Windows7. I downloaded the drivers for Vista64, opened them to a directory, and I seem to remember using "update drivers" and directing it to the proper directory. I suppose I'll figure it out again when Windows7 comes out and I have to install everything again. None of the automatic installation worked. It would go so far and then just stop and eventually fail.

Ask a Question