Why does blue circle spin for 30 seconds before menu window appears?

Reaction score
Why does blue circle spin for 30 seconds before menu window appears? Only happens when working with the 'Save picture as' function.

Right clicking on a picture in IE 11 to 'save picture as' to a folder or any location, there are other pictures in the folder and I right click on one to see what it is. The 'blue circle of death' spins for 20 to 30 seconds before the menu window opens. This just started about 4 to 5 months ago. Prior to this time period the window would appear instantaneously. This is extremely annoying when trying to get things done quickly. Wouldn't mind if I had all day to wait around for things to happen.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on (?) and how to fix or repair what ever function controls this ? Hope I'm not in the wrong category to post this and if I am please direct me to the correct one.

Have included a screen shot as an example.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The spinning blue circle is just your mouse pointer indicating that the computer is using CPU (i.e. "thinking"). If it actually takes 20seconds then either your computer has too much running (what is running in the background? do you have a virus, or sometimes very slow anti-virus software) or it is underpowered (for example old/slow CPU, insufficient RAM memory, or insufficient disk space)

Reaction score
The spinning blue circle is just your mouse pointer indicating that the computer is using CPU (i.e. "thinking"). If it actually takes 20seconds then either your computer has too much running (what is running in the background? do you have a virus, or sometimes very slow anti-virus software) or it is underpowered (for example old/slow CPU, insufficient RAM memory, or insufficient disk space)
Thanks boss, I understood the spinning meant working. The cpu is an Athlon II x2 250 3gb, 8gb ddr3 1333 RAM. Once it opens and is used a lot quickly(within 20-30 seconds) everything flies. Seems to have started last Oct-Nov after an update. Even does this if just right clicking a file in a folder, no matter where its located.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try running something like Process explorer and sort it by CPU usage. Adjust your other windows so you can always still see Process explorer and then perform the action that takes so long & see what is using the CPU. If it is a program then uninstall it. If it is a svchost then you will need to double-click on it in Process Explorer & go to Services to see what it is running.

Reaction score
Try running something like Process explorer and sort it by CPU usage. Adjust your other windows so you can always still see Process explorer and then perform the action that takes so long & see what is using the CPU. If it is a program then uninstall it. If it is a svchost then you will need to double-click on it in Process Explorer & go to Services to see what it is running.

Reaction score
I've got this issue with 'svchost' and tried Process Explorer route to find the culprit and 'kill' it but I get a 'you can't do this' type of message. Why? Do I have top be admin? If so, how can I do this and make it stick forever?

Reaction score
I think I'm in the right thing. Right clicked & took this quick screen shot. doesn't look like much going on. Am I on the right track?
! alpha.png

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Svchost is a system services shell program used to protect & run many different background items so double click on that entry in process explorer and select the SERVICES tab to see what processes that particular shell is executing.

If svchost is the entry with the highest CPU when you click your first picture then you would have to figure out if you can do without that service and possibly disable it. Disabling system services is pretty advanced stuff and turning off the wrong services can lead to system issues but their are some services you can do without.
AVG
Which Services are safe to Disable

My best guess is it may be something to do with the background WINDOWS SEARCH functionality, but you would need to double-click on the svchost entry causing trouble to be sure. WINDOWS SEARCH maintains a cache for search functions and it may be updating that info on your first click to improve the speed of future search functions. That search service is something you can turn off to see if it helps.
Read How-to-geek on Disabling Services

Reaction score
I'll try again when I get an svchost high % and relay the name of the process, assuming someone can tell me if I can disable it. I still have the issue that it won't let me kill it (or do anything else).
Terry

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct, you are not meant to kill svchost, and even if you do, all that does is delay things because it will just restart and run. The system is doing what it is supposed to do, you just aren't happy with how fast it does it. The only real way to improve that is to not have it do so many things; so you have to turn off automatic things you can do without. For example WINDOWS SEARCH; if you don't do a lot of searches then you can disable that service so it doesn't start when you boot up the machine.

Reaction score
I have checked on process explorer when high CPU due to svchost appears and there are at least 2 culprits: 0x0000000000000000 and ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart (both running at 48%-ish until they tire and drop down in CPU %) but whatever appears is will not let me disable or kill them.
a) what are they and are they needed and
b) how do I get rid of them (and any others) PERMANENTLY?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is a single item, the 0 is just a stack offset in the program … and yes you need it, it is part of the operating system. Right-click on Process explorer and choose "Run as administrator". Then try again and see if you get the same results.

Reaction score
.. but you said I need it. How do I stop it consuming CPU when it isn't doing anything and neither am I? Thanks anyway. Kill? etc/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It IS doing something you just don't understand it and you should not kill it. You need to look elsewhere to find a way to speed up your computer, not this thread process.

You will need to look at other ways to speed up your device. I told you, consider disabling some services you don't use very often. Try uninstalling your anti-virus software. Check your start-up processes & delete stuff like Chrome pre-loading or automatic updates to software you run.

Ask a Question