Why did chkdsk run?

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7. I went to windows update and installed all the important updates and one optional update related to the intel chipset in my computer. I rebooted after the updates were installed, successfully according to Windows. What happens when I reboot? Chkdsk runs. Why? The only other things I had installed were Microsoft Secrity Essentials and Malwarebyte's Anti Malware. Something is not right.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Stephen47

Have you set chkdsk to run from cmd ?, if you type chkdsk /f in cmd and hit Enter it says the volume is in use, it will give an option to select y/n to run the check on restart and will run chkdsk for each subsesequent startup until disabled by cancelling the scan. This works in NTFS file system.

Reaction score
No I haven't set it to run from cmd. This happened right after I first installed windows 7

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Are you getting any messages from Windows telling you chkdsk will be run ? and there are three things to consider you have scheduled the chkdsk.exe program or the autochk.exe program to run in Scheduled Tasks, a Windows registry setting has been set to run the autochk.exe program at startup or your hard disk is damaged and must be repaired.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sometimes with upgrade installs the chkdsc feature will run.
It's not necessarily a bad thing... it's just making sure that the hard drive is good, no bad sectors. etc.

As long as it only did it once, then all is good. If it keeps repeating, then it's time to worry.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If chkdsk is being made to run by Windows on each boot (unscheduled) you may have a problem with your Hard Drive.

Reaction score
Chkdsk hasn't run unscheduled so far this afternoon. I downloaded the diagnostic tool for my hard drive and ran full scans on both partitions. Neither on reported any errors.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thats good news Stephen47 lets hope it continues.

Reaction score

Well it is happening again I have over 1300 errors in event viewer in both the application log and security log. In the application log they are mostly:
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 455
Task Category: Login/Recovery
In the system log they are mostly
Source:Ntf
Event ID: 55
Task Category: 55 (2)
I tried to take a screen shot but when I tried to save it I was told "disk structure corrupted and unreadable"
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows 7 works great unless I try to do something other than use my web browser. I tried to download something this morning and I get an error message saying it couldn't be saved because an unknown error occurred.
I checked event viewer and it said over 2700 errors had occurred in the last hour. I think I wasted my money on this one.

Ask a Question