Why aren't MSE definition updates considered Important in Windows 7 ?

Reaction score
Can anyone on the forum contact Microsoft and ask the to add to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 updates for MSE to be considered Important/Mandatory instead of Optional when us users run Windows/Microsoft Update.
Yhis is one huge blunder on Microsofts part. Windows Defender's definition updates aren't Optional, neither should MSE's be.
THEY'RE MANDATORY/IMPORTANT UPDATES MICROSOFT.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have , in " Windows update", the option to notify. In my case, MSE conforms to this, and I choose to download. Maybe something different in my config? I know the early Betas ignored the windows update settings and did it automatically, regardless.
But, To answer the OP's question. I agree,.. I, and I am sure others, have referred this "bug" to the MSE panel.
Fwiw, this is what MSD themselves say about the description. They do not conform to their own rules!

Important Updates
Important updates are offered to help you keep your PC more secure and reliable, protecting your PC and privacy. Important updates generally:

• Help to protect your PC from security or privacy threats
  • Provide solutions that significantly improve the reliability of your PC
  • Help you detect non-genuine Microsoft software that could harm your PC
  • Verify your copyright-protected media such as movies or music
Recommended Updates
Recommended updates are offered to help enhance your computing experience and keep your PC running at its best. Recommended updates generally:

• Help to make your PC more reliable or compatible
  • Improve the information you see in Help files and similar areas
  • Upgrade or add new features to Windows
  • Upgrade or add new features to other Microsoft software (Microsoft Update only)
Optional Updates
Windows Update and Microsoft Update offer Optional updates you can review and install if you like. Updates classified as Optional include those that:

• Offer you new or trial Windows software
  • Offer you new or trial versions of other Microsoft software (Microsoft Update only)
  • Provide you device drivers from Microsoft partners (Note: drivers will be automatically promoted to Recommended by Windows Update if you are either missing a driver or if the one being offered is more fully featured.)

Reaction score
Yeah, Microsoft

Yeah, I have mine set to Automatically install updates @ 3:00 P.M. daily. The patch Tuesday updates become available to us U.S. East Coasters at 2:30 P.M. Windows Defender is Monday & Thursday after 10:30 A.M. Defenders updates install automatically MSE's should too. No Microsoft makes them OPTIONAL!
lAST TIME i CHECKED, MALWARE DEFINITIONS WEREN'T BETA UPDATES OR LOW TOTEM POLE UPDATES. ms MUST'VE BEEN IN vISTA MODE ON THIS ONE.
I have , in " Windows update", the option to notify. In my case, MSE conforms to this, and I choose to download. Maybe something different in my config? I know the early Betas ignored the windows update settings and did it automatically, regardless.
But, To answer the OP's question. I agree,.. I, and I am sure others, have referred this "bug" to the MSE panel.
Fwiw, this is what MSD themselves say about the description. They do not conform to their own rules!

Important Updates

Important updates are offered to help you keep your PC more secure and reliable, protecting your PC and privacy. Important updates generally:
  • Help to protect your PC from security or privacy threats
  • Provide solutions that significantly improve the reliability of your PC
  • Help you detect non-genuine Microsoft software that could harm your PC
  • Verify your copyright-protected media such as movies or music
Recommended Updates

Recommended updates are offered to help enhance your computing experience and keep your PC running at its best. Recommended updates generally:
  • Help to make your PC more reliable or compatible
  • Improve the information you see in Help files and similar areas
  • Upgrade or add new features to Windows
  • Upgrade or add new features to other Microsoft software (Microsoft Update only)
Optional Updates

Windows Update and Microsoft Update offer Optional updates you can review and install if you like. Updates classified as Optional include those that:
  • Offer you new or trial Windows software
  • Offer you new or trial versions of other Microsoft software (Microsoft Update only)
  • Provide you device drivers from Microsoft partners (Note: drivers will be automatically promoted to Recommended by Windows Update if you are either missing a driver or if the one being offered is more fully featured.)

Reaction score
Only before scheduled scans

It only automatically updates before running scheduled scans. I've noticed that there are usually 2-3 definition updates for it daily.
MSE auto-updates itself.

Reaction score
The good thing about MSE is that it doesn't need updates many times a day to protect you.

Here's an interesting read explaining that and a lot more:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/74e507b8-f6da-4eca-8ce7-d1aca7d3f1ba

"The Microsoft Antimalware group deploys updates for MSE (also Forefront and Windows Live OneCare) typically a few times daily. It is not critical for you to check for updates throughout the day because when MSE checks for updates, the offered updates will be downloaded and added to the database.

MSE will report that it is up to date and in good status even if the definitions are a few days old on the PC. Note that MSE uses the local signatures for common protection, but it also employs behavioral detection. If suspicious activity is detected, MSE will communicate with the servers to determine if a match has been reported and will immediately download any information needed to deal with the threat if a match is found."

Reaction score
Good read

That explained more. They still shouldn't be optional when Windows Update runs, though. Also, does MSE scan through Windows Live Messenger or do you have to download MS's Safety Scanner ?
The good thing about MSE is that it doesn't need updates many times a day to protect you.

Here's an interesting read explaining that and a lot more:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/74e507b8-f6da-4eca-8ce7-d1aca7d3f1ba

"The Microsoft Antimalware group deploys updates for MSE (also Forefront and Windows Live OneCare) typically a few times daily. It is not critical for you to check for updates throughout the day because when MSE checks for updates, the offered updates will be downloaded and added to the database.

MSE will report that it is up to date and in good status even if the definitions are a few days old on the PC. Note that MSE uses the local signatures for common protection, but it also employs behavioral detection. If suspicious activity is detected, MSE will communicate with the servers to determine if a match has been reported and will immediately download any information needed to deal with the threat if a match is found."

Ask a Question