File names with a period aren't saving correctly

Reaction score
I work with several projects in Photoshop that have many revisions, and I've always saved them as "Version1.2.psd", "Version4.51.psd" etc etc, without any problem, in Windows XP.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and when I went to save my file called "Version1.2", it dropped the ".2" and tried to save it as just "Version1.psd", like it thinks my period is a mistake. I overlooked this at first because I wasn't used to it and ended up saving over another file of the same name. I can manually type in the ".2" extension and still save it how I want, but this gets annoying after a while and if I'm working quickly can easily be overlooked.

Is there any setting to fix this or is this just a very unfortunate permanent defect of Windows 7?

Edit: I also upgraded to Photoshop CS4 at the same time so I suppose that could be the culprit instead, anyone know??

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your original format should be acceptable. (I confirmed that be saving the precise name - see picture),
Maybe you accidentally slipped a space in there somewhere?
Otherwise I would go with your last sentence!

View attachment 865

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see it has been two years since the original question was posted. Is there a solution for this issue? I too have the problem with files with two periods being renamed during a save operation. The last period and all characters after the period are being truncated. This happens in all software tested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
lavor, please try saving using the full filename including extension, like "filename1.2.psd", rather than typing "filename1.2" and having it automatically assign the psd extension. Hopefully that will work for you.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, Thank you for your response. Yes, your solution does work but I have one other twist in the issue. I am running this from an existing software that batch prints multiple, (in my case, several hundred), drawings at a time. Manual input of the filename is not possible.

This works for my collegues in Europe, using the same pdf printer, windows and other software. It appears to be a Windows 7 setting that is controlling this. I just need to find it. Still in the hunt.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can you not also supply .psd as part of the parameter fed to the batch job?

Does the European office use the same version of software?

Can you duplicate this situation in other software or only in Photoshop CS4? I have old Photo Shop X and I cannot duplicate this problem on my machine. I would suspect it is a software problem except for what you said about it working in your European office.

Reaction score
No, the name is generated from an entry in an Oracle database and is the official name of the drawing. It cannot have the .pdf extension, (the original post which I tagged on to is in reference to Photoshop, I am seeing the exact same issue in sending the file to a pdf printer, I have used primopdf, pdfcreator and adobepdf. all exhibit the same issue).
The European office uses the same version of Windows and the same offending software and the same pdf printer.
As stated above, I see the same issue in all softwares tried.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Afraid I am at a loss, I never heard of this issue before. Sorry.

Reaction score
Thank you for your time and effort. It seems to be a strange one. I cannot find anything like it in Google.

The search continues...

Ask a Question