What was the question again?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
This has kind of been bothering me every now and then, and I admit I've also been guilty of it, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Every now and then we get a thread in which a member, new or old, wants our opinion on a number of different pieces of hardware or software they are considering buying. In other words they want help deciding which to go with.

Sometimes, I've noticed, these threads escalate and branch out to discussions about completely different items than what the original post was asking about.

I think options are great, and people's willingness to share their own experiences and preferences is admirable. Yet I would like to see the original post's dilemma approached first before the branching out begins.

For example, in a recent thread a relatively new member asked opinions about two different hard drives he was trying to decide between. Replies, quite rightly, pointed out that there were better options that could be acquired for very little more money. That seems sensible, because by paying ten bucks more, and therefore by buying a $60 drive instead of a $50 one, we get a much better drive. Makes sense, yeah?

But that wasn't what he asked, and we don't know where he's from or if these same market conditions apply. Maybe a guy with an Indian name is from India, where the average annual salary is $971. Maybe a new hard drive there costs, respectively, a buck and a half. I don't know. Do you?

If not, it's best to assume that he does. It won't close the door on discussing better alternatives.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Core - Thanks for the reminder! I am guilty of this also.

I think many times some of the more active members here get on our "high horses" so to speak and digress from the OP's main question or point.

I will try to be more aware of this in the future and try to address the issue at hand rather than suggesting otherwise.

Merry Christmas mi Amigo!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, I do this all the time as well.

Merry Christmas, Nibs.

Felt good to rant, though... I spent most of the day shopping with the inlaws.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Felt good to rant, though... I spent most of the day shopping with the inlaws.
Hey... it's all good! Back when I was married when I had to shop with the in-laws my Jack Daniels and Coors Gold consumption went up considerably, plus I would have to "go get gas for the car" and twist up a spliff for a quick mind adjustment! LOL! :canabis::bandit:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
He's in Singapore; I looked before I replied. And I did give my opinion and also mentioned reviews of the two he mentioned. And I was clear I was talking about $10 in the U.S. for the bigger 500GB. So I stand behind my post!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That thread title raised my interest, core. Some time ago I raised a thread on the subject. Undoubtably, wandering from thread titles is ,imo, more prevalent on this site than others I visit.

https://www.w7forums.com/off-title-threads-t7861.html

However, as a result of the feedback, which you can read there, I decided I was in a minority and could lump it or leave. Nothing has changed since then.
Yesterday was a prime example of such, and an (again, imo) extraordinary display of bad manners. A new poster was earnestly requesting some help on a bsod issue. Right in the middle of the help, another member popped up with a totally irrelevant joking remark whiuch was immediately followed up by a similar response. The OP has not, so far, responded, but I can see he is on another site with the same question (I believe it is he), so maybe we will not see him again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, Kalario! We're trying to hold each other accountable somewhat.
Not me! I'm a no-account good-for-nothing varmint. :p

A moderators fest???
It's not just a modfest or it would be in the mods section so feel free to join the party, Kalario. I'm up for the festivities, after all it's Christmas! :santaclaus:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Noone is being held "accountable", as individuals have not been singled out. It is a general discussion, mainly intended, I believe, by the Op, to bring the point to everyones attention.
However, the feedback so far shows, as in my previous link, the disregard for the "problem", if it is such.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thankyou for that helpful and intelligent input.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
A little brevity now and then......

A conversation is usually remembered not for its general input, but the wisecrack "old Bert" throws in, half way through.

EDIT. But I will try to keep my fingers off the keyboard unless I have anything sensible to say. Mind, if I was going to do sensible, I don't think I'd have chosen Elmer BeFuddled as my moniker....

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I just assumed you posted to the wrong thread.

Reaction score

A conversation is usually remembered not for its general input, but the wisecrack "old Bert" throws in, half way through.

EDIT. But I will try to keep my fingers off the keyboard unless I have anything sensible to say. Mind, if I was going to do sensible, I don't think I'd have chosen Elmer BeFuddled as my moniker....
So what are you Guys talking about? Elmer? ; )

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score

Well, if you really believe that, then so shall it be. I still think that if an anon member is lookking for help, that is his priority.
For myself, if I am trying to find an old thread on, for example, the subject of a faulty DVD drive, I most certainly would not be trying to remember the non associated wisecrack or levity in the thread.
As you are aware, there are two other forums on this site where you can pretty much say as you please.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
One of the things that I value most about this site is that we can keep things friendly - it's inevitable that things will drift off topic to an extent as the discussion involves in a thread - but as long as that doesn't happen to often in a technical support thread then I don't see the harm in it.

The only way to stop this from happening in all threads would be to control them most tightly, which would seem unfriendly and would be hard work. Going off-topic where there is a tech support problem should result in a gentle nudge to keep things on topic, but in the other sections the discussion will evolve as the thread grows.

Ask a Question