Which Win7 disk was used to load OS on computer?

Reaction score
I can find the Product key of the MS Win7 loaded into the computer in the registry but don't know which of 2 purchased MS Win7 disks it came from. Each disk has a different product key but I only know the one key loaded in computer -- but which disk did it come from? This old computer is has 32bit software OS. One MS Win7 disk is labeled 32bit and the other 64bit, but I believe the 64bit can also load 32bit. I'm hoping i used the latter so I can use this on a new 64bit computer.

Any advice on how to sort this out would be appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A key is not specific to the bit-size, it can be used on either. A 64-bit disk installs the 64-bit version, 32-bit the 32 bit OS. same key would work on either.

However it sounds like you hope to use the key to move W7 on to another computer and unless you have the FULL version W7 Installation product key (Retail was about $300US) moving it would not be legal. OEM and system builder licenses live and die with the motherboard on which they are installed and W7 UPGRADE licenses applied to such an installation become tied to the original license meaning the same live and die rules apply.

Reaction score
A key is not specific to the bit-size, it can be used on either. A 64-bit disk installs the 64-bit version, 32-bit the 32 bit OS. same key would work on either.

However it sounds like you hope to use the key to move W7 on to another computer and unless you have the FULL version W7 Installation product key (Retail was about $300US) moving it would not be legal. OEM and system builder licenses live and die with the motherboard on which they are installed and W7 UPGRADE licenses applied to such an installation become tied to the original license meaning the same live and die rules apply.

I think I understand. The existing computer was upgraded with a full purchased Vista disk, then upgraded to Win 7 with a purchased upgrade disk. If this cannot be moved to a new computer, then maybe I should buy a Win 10 disk now and use that, or a win7 which appears to be cheaper.
Thanks for your help and quick replay.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the Vista version was the FULL version then that license is moveable. And I'm pretty sure then the W7 upgrade tied to it is also legally transferable. So as long as you delete the OS from the old machine then you should legally be able to install it on the new one.

Ask a Question