What mail applications are made available to Windows 7 users?

Reaction score
Greetings, since Outlook Express is not included in Windows 7 what other mail applications are available for Windows 7 users? Thank you in advance! :)

Reaction score
Windows Live Mail
You can add all your email accounts to Windows Live Mail. It's as easy as typing in an email address and password, and then following a few steps. Once your email accounts have been added, organize your conversations. Here's how to do all this in Mail.
Windows Live Mail is bundled in a package called Windows Essentials.
Windows Essentials is a suite of products available in one easy download. Get them all at once, or choose just the ones you want.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Windows Live Mail is decent and the replacement for Outlook Express. There's also Mozilla Thunderbird, made by the same people behind FireFox:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

Both are decent clients, but it may be worth looking at the features list to see which one suits best.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've been using Outlook since Outlook 97. Of course it is not free, but IMO, well worth it.

Google mail (Gmail) works (and I have several Gmail accounts) but Google is notorious for false positives (good emails tagged as spam and shoved into the spam folder) forcing users to periodically check our spam folders before any good emails are automatically deleted.

You really need to decide if you need a "local" email client or a web-based, or both. The problem with local clients (running on your computer) like Outlook and Thunderbird is once you pull the email down, it is now on that machine and not available for viewing from another computer.

Web based email clients like Gmail store your emails in "the cloud" so you can access your email from anywhere.

I use MailWasher Pro as my spam blocker but also as my email organizer. MW lets me view all my emails (I get about 60/day) from all 8 of my current email accounts and puts them in one UI. Then I can delete, reply, or save them from there, pulling down only the "keepers" with Outlook for permanent storage on my machine. If you "work" forums and get dozens of forum notifications each day, I cannot emphasize how easy MW makes "working" through those notifications.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
The problem with local clients (running on your computer) like Outlook and Thunderbird is once you pull the email down, it is now on that machine and not available for viewing from another computer.
Only if you use POP3, and not IMAP.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Only if you use POP3, and not IMAP.
True - but most use POP3 and with IMAP, leaving emails on the server can (in some cases, depending on the provider) result in email box full errors. So there's plenty of pluses and minuses to go around.

Reaction score
This is my all time favorite email client...it's free. I liked it so much that I bought the whole package deal. It's great for changing paper types, fonts, backgrounds, inserting sound clips, and a bunch more....it's not a manly email client but the wife and kids dearly love it.

http://www.incredimail.com/english/splash.aspx

Ask a Question