What changes would you make to Windows 7?

Reaction score
If you were in charge of development for W7 at Microsoft, what would you try to include in the RC build that isn't already there?

Not including things like "make it faster", because we all want that! ;) Things like features and changes to the way it works.

I saw someone mention tabbed Windows Explorer browsing on another blog, and that gets my thumbs up.

I'd also like a way to make custom location shortcuts that appear in save dialogue boxes, the way that the Documents and Pictures folders do at the moment.

Reaction score
An improved backup system that can do schedules :) There are some free tools about, but it would be good if Windows could do it out of the box.

Reaction score
I think the following functions should be integrated into the operating system and no need for installing of third party programs:
  1. Switch to "Classic Start menu". Vista has it. Why not also Windows 7 ? Why do I need installing a third party program like "Vista Start Menu" (runs also with Windows 7) ?
  2. I also would like the "animated" network icon brought back in Windows 7. For Internet security I want to have a quick control if there is any unusual traffic (perhaps of a Trojan virus etc.). Why do I need installing a third party program like "Network Lights" ?
  3. I want to mount ISO images. I don't want to replace all the times my CDs and DVDs into my CD/DVD drive. Why do I need installing a third party program like "Virtual CloneDrive"?
  4. I want the ability of changing icons of libraries. When I got the ability creating my own libraries why can I not change their icons like other folders and links (RMB -> properties -> Change Icon)? Why do I need a third party program like "LibIconChanger" or manipulate XML files ?
OK - I can do this by installing third party freeware programs. But why are these functions not integrated into Windows 7 ?

Reaction score
I want to mount ISO images. I don't want to replace all the times my CDs and DVDs into my CD/DVD drive. Why do I need installing a third party program like "Virtual CloneDrive"?
riduculos thoughts

wot else ? watch create burn dvd ? y shud i install third party games and programs ? window mush have it all included

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I also would like the "animated" network icon brought back in Windows 7. For Internet security I want to have a quick control if there is any unusual traffic (perhaps of a Trojan virus etc.). Why do I need installing a third party program like "Network Lights" ?
Yes, I liked that too - that would be a good one to have back! :) Welcome to the forums :ciao:

Reaction score
All of those sound like good ideas, but Microsoft do seem to be going down the route of making Windows "lighter" then previous versions. Even IE will be optional apparently.

Those suggestions made by unawave look very do-able, especially the activity lights. I also prefer the classic start menu, but I have configured it to look like the old one as much as possible.

Reaction score
If you were in charge of development for W7 at Microsoft, what would you try to include in the RC build that isn't already there?
Ok...first thing I would do, is get rid of the "change for change sake" attitude...

Start menu
Status bar inside windows explorer
Bottom bar, whatever the F it's called,...what a friggin mess...

Reaction score
ok we got some minor customizatio smples . i the end , with 7 is the great thing eva

Ask a Question