"...Make Changes to This Computer" screen issues

-JH

Reaction score
I am setting up two new computers with Win 7, a laptop and a desktop. I write some of my own programs in xHarbour. I put a shortcut on the desktop by right clicking the exe file in its folder. On the laptop everything works fine. On the desktop I have to click through the Win 7 “User Account Control. Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer? Program name: hm.exe Publisher: unknown” screen. I explored right click->share->share with specific people and found I was the “owner” on the laptop but “guest” was the owner on the desktop. I thought I had found the problem. I copied, renamed, etc, and now I am the owner on the problematic program on the desktop. But I still get the nag box.
Here’s the fun part: The program is called hm.exe. If I rename it, the nag box goes away. Hme.exe works. H.exe works. Any other two letter combination seems to work. But if I change it back to hm.exe I notice a small Administrator shield pops up on the program icon and my problem is back. There is no administrator shield on the icon on my laptop where the program opens fine without the nag screen.
Why? How do I fix this?

-JH

Reaction score
I tried something. Searched the Registry on the desktop computer for hm.exe found two listings:
a folder: H_key_current_user->console->hm.exe shortcut
H_key_current_user->software->Microsoft->windows NT->current version->AppCompatFlags->Layers folder with a key c:\hardy\hm.exe
I deleted both the folder and the key and fixed my problem.
I can only guess it was the second one that was my problem. But can anyone explain why?

Ask a Question