No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Nice!!
Does it come with eggrolls?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That would be a great extra bonus.:D

I've bought from China/Hong Kong sellers before, although I had to wait longer for my products, I've always received them as described.

Hopefully, I'll be able to say the same about this purchase as well. I wouldn't have bought it, if it weren't for PayPal's protection plan. They cover the purchaser, in case of a bad deal (counterfeit, DOA, etc).

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Was there a shipping charge?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, it was free shipping. These are moving fast, too. 795 of them & counting have been sold in the past 2 days. At the time that I bought it, only around 500 or so had been sold.

I was actually looking for a USB 3.0 enclosure, Newegg screwed up & refunded my money, instead of replacing the one that I sent back. They done me a huge favor by doing so. However, I didn't expect this, it was too good for me to turn down.

I checked the listing carefully, there were no international currency fees (exchange rates) or any hidden charges. Plus I checked my bank account, it was charged the correct price.

Cat

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I hope they are not counterfeit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I hope they are not counterfeit.
Probably are. Just out of curiosity open it up and see if there is actually a WD HD inside when you get it. And don't be yelling in a few months when it crashes and you don't know why.

Just FYI Paypal won't help if it crashes in 6 weeks. If you pay by credit card under Paypal then your credit card company gives you 90 days but still you end up with nothing if it crashes after 3 mos.

And forget free eggrolls, with every purchase they include one fortune cookie and the lucky numbers on the back double as a free Windows 7 product key. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll check it out good when it arrives, with WD's software. I already have it installed on my computer, it'll tell me the SMART data, and I can do an extended test on the HDD, which I will, as soon as I get it out of the box, at least 2 times. If the HDD within the unit is not genuine, then the testing won't work, as it only tests WD drives.

That seller sold 999 of these, and already has another listing for more of them, plus some kind of iPhone. Being that these units probably made in China anyway, and the Chinese people are desperate for US cash, couldn't that account for the low price? That's a total of $18,961, a lot of cash for a Chinese citizen to have. It's not much to our standards, but a ton to theirs.

All that matters to me is whether it's the real deal or not. WD's extended test will reveal that quickly.

EDIT: SIW also reports some of these values, I just checked.

Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't think the Chinese are that desperate for US currency anymore. China will probably very soon start dumping their T-Bills on the open market as the US Dollar is getting extremely devalued will probably no longer be the world's reserve currency in several months.

Look for bad things to occur regarding the US Dollar in the next few months.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't doubt that our dollar is going south, it already is, and has been.

This is what happens when our government prints money & spends more than it takes in, while cutting taxes at the same time. It's not sustainable, yet our government still wants to raise the debt ceiling even further.

And we have a massive baby boomer generation retiring, at a rate of 10,000+ per day, for the next 19 years.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...ing-retirement-crisis-that-will-drop-your-jaw

Something will have to give, one way or the other. But it shouldn't be us, we were promised to be taken care of, it came out of our paychecks in full. It was the US government who outsourced jobs, they should repeal the agreements that is the direct cause of this crises, and not waste any time in doing so.

Hopefully, my HD will arrive before anything bad happens.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think recent indications are the US Dollar is climbing back. Certainly the US economy and job markets are recovering, though they are agonizingly slow about it, and just about any news that is not good can and does hamper that recovery.

It would certainly be better for the entire world, not just the US, if hostile governments, OPEC, radicals, and Mother Nature (hurricanes, Earthquakes, floods) stopped tossing wrenches into the works - including "oil-works". And of course if the politicians would stop playing politics and make some good law, that would help too. Sadly, EVERYONE must make some sacrifices, but everyone is saying, "Not me!". If people (you, me, all taxpayers) don't want funding for our favorite government services reduced or eliminated (including Defense and Law Enforcement for cybercrime), then we need to pay more taxes. Eliminating fraud and waste is critical but not significant enough to keep buying that goal as an excuse (or campaign slogan) to not make the necessary sacrifices - though necessary compromises would probably be the better, more optimistic word.

Hmmm, I don't normally go off on a political rant. :hmpf:

Oh well. This old soapbox is pretty wobbly.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't normally go off on a political rant. :hmpf:

Oh well. This old soapbox is pretty wobbly.
You should see my soapbox, looks like it went through the Siege of Petersburg! LOL!

Regarding the economy, Wall Street and other ramblings; the greedy worms at Goldman-Sachs should be taken to the nearest alley in New York and shot! These "men", (I'm being way too kind here) bilked thousands of investors and others out of tens of billions of dollars all for their own greed. I just finished the Rolling Stone magazine article about them. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There's a lot of blame to spread around.

Ask a Question