WAT is official!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This afternoon, Microsoft finally delivered what they promised, bundled the WAT update with five other updates. The good thing, Microsoft was good on their word and didn't force feed it. You have to manually check the box to accept the update in order to receive it. But how long it's voluntary remains to be seen. Both systems passed with no problems, the only thing I noticed was upon restart, a long string for numbers & letters went by, and that was it. Now, for the umthenth time, I've validated my system. I then promptly removed the update, as I don't want to have a "non-genuine" system(s) years from now. Hopefully no one else had problems, either. If you did, contact Microsoft or your OEM to correct the issue.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I downloaded the WAT update last week from the MS downloads page. Worked fine, and since I have a genuine product key I don't foresee any issues.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Same as Nibiru. You should not have to keep revalidating?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
While I don't agree at all with piracy, I don't agree with revalidating over and over for years and years. Everytime you download an optional Microsoft product (such as MSE or Windows Live), you have to validate before they download. That is enough. If you change your MOBO, or replace a couple of key parts at once, you have to validate again, perhaps over the phone. It's kind of like having to prove yourself innocent over and over. On this forum, I have defended Microsoft many a time, but don't agree on this issue. If it was a one time deal, yes, I can agree with that, and I accepted the update on two systems, they both passed, and I removed the update. That was my right, I didn't even have to accept it in the first place. This program is millions upon millions of dollars that can (and should be) used to improve IE(unlike win7, it's sliding) or the next version of Windows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I checked windows update, I read something about MS was searching for files that had been tampered with. If you have a legitamate copy of windows I doubt their will be any reason for concern as far as activation and validation.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
While I don't agree at all with piracy, I don't agree with revalidating over and over for years and years. Everytime you download an optional Microsoft product (such as MSE or Windows Live), you have to validate before they download. That is enough. If you change your MOBO, or replace a couple of key parts at once, you have to validate again, perhaps over the phone. It's kind of like having to prove yourself innocent over and over. On this forum, I have defended Microsoft many a time, but don't agree on this issue. If it was a one time deal, yes, I can agree with that, and I accepted the update on two systems, they both passed, and I removed the update. That was my right, I didn't even have to accept it in the first place. This program is millions upon millions of dollars that can (and should be) used to improve IE(unlike win7, it's sliding) or the next version of Windows.
Unless I do a reinstall, I have never had to revalidate, even going back to the orgianl Vista. Whenever they are available, I download and install Microsoft products. Apart from those whic require an installation key (Office?), in no way do they affect the validation or avctivaion of the OS, nor do they perform a pre check for authenticity.
I accept that, should you change major hardware items, under the Eula, this can be automatically seen as attempting to install the OS on a second computer, or, it is seen as a fresh install. Of course it will then require reinstallation. Fortunately I do not alter much on my "daily" computer, so it bothers me little..

I cannot understand the last sentence, unfortunately

I dont know why you should be having any problems, but maybe you have a malicious program lurking somehwre on your computer?
Microsoft have been driven into a corner, with trying to make their product secure. I am quite sure that even the pundits on the web do not know all. The fact that the WAT is voluntary.maybe a small part of the story. Perhaps your mistake was to uninstall it again?? If MShave any foresight, their robots can regard such action as suspiciuous with subsequent automated action - just a thought.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is an intensified change to the old WGA. (Windows Genuine Advantage)

WAT is Windows Activation Technology.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Both my and hubbies computers got the download and installed perfectly fine. :D

Reaction score
How do I know if I have it, and if I don't where is it to be downloaded?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I think what Catilley1092 is referring to is the app staying resident in your system, downloading updates to itself, and checking the validity for the system on a regular basis.

Somebody quoted that interview in another thread where some Microsoft rep said that if the application, once installed, finds the system to be genuine, then it just stays [in memory?] and "protects the user."

I'm sorry, but "protects the user" from what? From someone getting on his computer without his knowledge, changing his Windows key, and installing an activation bypass method?

The repeated calling home isn't protecting anything. Once the system is established as genuine, that should be the end of it. Want to roll out a more effective validation program? Sure, no problem - but do it once (barring system reinstall) and be done with it.

And don't call it protecting the user since it obviously isn't.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Foy Andsome:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033

Apart from the download links, there is some interesting reading. The para "More information about this update" answers a question raised in this thread. If all Microsoft products on your computer are genuine, you will not even know it is there.

Reaction score
Foy Andsome:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033

Apart from the download links, there is some interesting reading. The para "More information about this update" answers a question raised in this thread. If all Microsoft products on your computer are genuine, you will not even know it is there.
Thanks. I don't think I'll bother. I don't know what they mean by the two options offered, X86 being one.???? X 64 being the other???

Reaction score
If you have the 32-Bit(x86) Windows then the x86 download is the one that you may or may not be interested in.

If you have the 64-Bit(x64) Windows then the x64 download is the one that you may or may not be interested in.

Personally, I don't see why everyone is so up tight about on this Phone Home deal. How else are they going to keep track of which keys are still in use. If someone decides to copy there system to a different computer then MS would get two reports of the key in use. You speak of supporting anti-piracy, but yet you shoot down every attempt MS puts in place to monitor the keys in use. The quicker MS can spot a pirated key, the quicker they can blacklist the key and help the innocent that was blacklist by allowing them to prove they were in fact legal with the key that was blacklisted and provide a new key.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well said Cliff. Not forgetting the other things it keeps an eye on.

Reaction score
My copies are legal from end-to-end. I have no intention of letting my PC phone home to Microsoft day in and day out. If WAT becomes mandatory, I will block the phone home IP address on my router and crack the activation routine on my OS if need be.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well. I'll stick my neck out here. That is an astonishing post from a "super" moderator on a Windows 7 site.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have just checked and we have not had kb971033 yet ? and no updates pending ?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My copies are legal from end-to-end. I have no intention of letting my PC phone home to Microsoft day in and day out. If WAT becomes mandatory, I will block the phone home IP address on my router and crack the activation routine on my OS if need be.
Thrax, that is my whole point, I'm legal, and don't want my computers phoning home all of the time. That is exactly what will eventually happen.

Ask a Question