WAT is official!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Openly supporting blocking MS and cracking - come on!

Reaction score
Cracking in the fashion I have described is hardly illegal. I paid for the OS, and I own it. I've already activated the OS, too. There's no specific provision in the EULA that prevents me from blocking Microsoft from continuously activating my copy.

Being a moderator on a Windows forum doesn't mean I feel that every pill Microsoft feeds the public is a sugary one, nor that I'll be complicit in accepting what I consider to be a privacy violation.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Tell it like it is, Thrax! It's spyware, plain and simple. I allowed it to validate my system and promptly uninstalled it. You know what, I was shutting down my computer last night, and I noticed that symbol that lets you know you are about to install an update. I stopped and checked, and it tried to sneak in and reinstall itself without asking. So I chose to hide the update. Probably with the next version of Windows, it won't be voluntary at all.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OK. Looks like I am outnumbered, which does not change my view. I still fail to understand how the WAT, running resident, can possibly be a problem.

ON my computer, I have quite a few Microsoft programs, under beta. At the completion of installation, these programs ask if you wish to enter the cooperation agreement. In the extreme case, you can give Microsoft access to your computer.(Which I have done). I have had no unusual incidents or occurences from this.

Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program
How does CEIP work?
When you choose to participate in the CEIP, your computer or device automatically sends information to Microsoft about how you use certain products. Information from your computer is combined with other CEIP data to help Microsoft solve problems and to improve the products and features customers use most often.

Will CEIP collect information about all products on my computer?
CEIP collects information about Microsoft products as well as limited information about third-party applications that interact with Microsoft products.

Is the Customer Experience Improvement Program spyware?
No. Spyware can collect information or act on your computer without your full knowledge or consent. CEIP does not take actions other than those described in the Customer Experience Improvement Program Privacy Statement and you can choose to start or stop participating at any time.

Reaction score
I would like to check to see if I have inadvertently downloaded this update without realising it. What is the number?

Reaction score
U can not revaildate it other and other again coz they put limits , for example , with msdn or technet ket u can activate the product only TEN times so MS will go the other way

Reaction score
Ms is doing cfafty tricks so u have to check and doble check ANY update they offer with WU

Reaction score
christ. this looks to be a future ballache to end all ballaches.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Since I was outspoken about this a couple of weeks ago, I just want post that I chose to hide the update and will refuse to install it until they ram it down my throat with a service pack or some other way. I payed full blown out retail for my copies and activated and validated after install. These MS shenanigans have turned me off and I'll use third party software whenever possible.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
many thanks. I don't seem to have it.
andsome, you would have to check the box to get it. At this point it's still optional.

Open action center and click on windows update and it should be there listed as an important, but optional update

Reaction score
andsome, you would have to check the box to get it. At this point it's still optional.

Open action center and click on windows update and it should be there listed as an important, but optional update
I have not been offered it.:D

Reaction score
Do you have Windows update set to include optional update when checking for updates. If you don't have it set this way only critical updates are listed for download.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Windows Update >> Change settings
Then look for
"Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates"

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It probably won't be long. Mabye they're doing it in the US first.

Reaction score
Do you have Windows update set to include optional update when checking for updates. If you don't have it set this way only critical updates are listed for download.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Windows Update >> Change settings
Then look for
"Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates"
In Windows 7 my computer is set to inform me of the availability of updates. I can then look at them and decide which ones that I want. Any that I don't want can be hidden if I want to do this.:D

Ask a Question