SOLVED W7 X64 won't instal on my 64Bit compatible computer

Reaction score
Hi. I.ve been trying for 3weeks to instal W7 Ultimate X64 to my com and its no go go. I have W7 Ultimate X86 installed at moment and have not tried to upgrade to X64. Well have tried but get message that it can't be done.
I've tried Dual boot loading to either disk0 Partition2 and to a slave hdd ( internal and USB drives) I have also removed all drives bar the Master 160 GB and tried to instal to that(as dual boot),,,nogo
I have tried fresh instal X64 to a data free 1TB HDD running as Master drive. No go.
The poblem is happening in the final stage of the Instal when it as the part that says " Completing Installation". The green staus indicator isn't fully green and the com restarts, opens the "Starting Windows" screen and all I have is the pulsing logo. I have left it to open into Windows and it doesn't. I have left it for HOURS and it goes nowhere.
I know there is nothing wrong with the OS disc because I installed X64 from it to a mates com at the weekend. I installed to my HDD's.
My OS disc is RTM and why its not installing to my computer I do not know.
When X86 installs it restarts at the same places that X64 does, but after the restart in the "Completeing Installation" the instal continues to the end of the status bar indicator.
Its got me beat and frustrated.
Anyone else have/had/has this problem? Or can offer a suggestion that will help me get X64 up and running??
Lemme know please, I've exhausted all options of whichI can think to use.
Oh, I borrowed my mates W7 X64 Pro to try to instal it to my computer and it didn't instal.
My com is X64 compatible.
I'm wondering if the problem might be the BIOS. In order for the AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU to run properly, I had to update the BIOS from the Award F3 to the Award F9e. My motherboard is AM2 socket and the CPU is AM3. Thats why I had to use the F9e and the F9e is a Beta version.
Apart from that, W7 X86 runs excellent. So does the Adobe CS4 Master collection I use. X64 would be better though.
Would it?
Thanks in anticipation
gazza

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First check your BIOS and make sure the HPET support setting in the Power Management Setup screen is set to: 64 bit.

Second, disconnect all extra hard drives except the one you want to install to.

Third, set the DVD drive to be the first bootable device in the BIOS.

Fourth, put the install disk in the DVD drive and reboot the computer. You'll see a prompt: "Press any key to boot from DVD/CD drive" do that within 4-5 seconds and the install will begin.

Hopefully, this will help you.

Reaction score
First check your BIOS and make sure the HPET support setting in the Power Management Setup screen is set to: 64 bit.

Second, disconnect all extra hard drives except the one you want to install to.

Third, set the DVD drive to be the first bootable device in the BIOS.

Fourth, put the install disk in the DVD drive and reboot the computer. You'll see a prompt: "Press any key to boot from DVD/CD drive" do that within 4-5 seconds and the install will begin.

Hopefully, this will help you.
Thanks Nibiru2012
I have done steps 2/3/4 but not step one. I will go into BIOS and and check/change the HPET support in Power Management setup screen to 64.
I have tried changing a setting that makes the Sata drive AHCI and not IDE which it is set at but I get a message onscreen when I try to instal X64 that I have to change a setting that enables the controller. This only happens when I try to instal X64 onto Disk0 Partition2 with the AHCI chosen.
Ok, I will now go and do step 1 and will report back.
Instal of 64Bit should only take 20 miutes, a half hour at most, But ther are a lot of long waits inbetween the restarts.
Anyway, maybe if I do your suggestion all that will be non-existant.
Thanks and I'll post back asap
gazza

Reaction score
Alas, still no-go after setting HPET mode to 64 Bit from 32 Bit.Other settings in Power Management were as Follows:-
HPET Support: [Enabled}

ACPI Suspend Type: [S3(STR)]..other option is [S1(POS)[...left it at [S3(STR)
Integrated Peripherals

On-Chip IDE Channel [Enabled]
NV SATA Controller [Enabled]
USB Memory type [SHADOW]
Serial ATA RAID Config [IDE]
I tried Boot from CD/DVD to instal the OS and also Installing from the opened W7 32Bit Windows running.
Boot from CD/DVD drive is the slowest with anything up to 8 minutes looking at a Starting Windows screen before the next step of the instal manifests itself onscreen.
Instal from windows running and its faster.
Neither methods complete the instal fully. Restarts shortly after the " Completing Installation" step is reached and does not go on to complete the instal of X64. Installing X86 does continue after the restart.
I have tried installing to both the clean formatted 1TB internal HDD and to a Logical Partition on the on the 160GB internal HDD.
I used GParted 0.4.1.6 to set the Logical Partition on the 160GB Sata HDD Disk0 Partition1 as being the 'Boot' drive, restarted the computer and get a message in POST " Wrong disk in drive,-insert system disk and press enter" Do that and of course pressing the Enter key sends the installation process off from square one again.
Tried to use the restart from fresh caused by pushing the Enter key to do a 'Repair'. Got a message telling me " A CD or DVD device needs a driver. If you have a floppy/cd with the driver/s on it please load now" "If the OS disc is in the optical drive you can safely remove it now"
Click to load drivers and of course none get found!!!! Why on earth is it looking for optical drive driver/s??
Even though it is not completing the installation as is obvious to me when it doesn't continue that part after the Restart just after it gets to the "Completing Installation" I find that in the drive that it has been installed to, there shows 13.95GB of space used.
Basically, and obviously, I think that the MBR and other necessary files are not being installed.
The question is why not?!
That applies to both the W7 Ultimate X64 of mine and the W7 Pro X64 that I borrowed from a friend.
Nibiru2012, I was well hopeful when I read your reply because it seemed to make so much sense. Logically, if 64 Bit isn't Enabled somewhere (HPET in this case), well then 64 Bit is Disabled. Ya can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse, or vice-versa.
Alas again, but thank you very much Nibiru2012. I's sure that your suggestion would have fixed the problem I am having. Obviosly, its a hidden one and its not going to be coaxed out of hiding unless I send in the dogs to get it to reveal itself.
Thanks again
gazza

Last edited:
Reaction score
This was found in the User Manual that I downloaded.
This must be where nibiru found it as well.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m68sm-s2l_e.pdf

Listed under "Power Management Setup"
[FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]HPET Support[/FONT][/FONT]
Enables or disables High Precision Event Timer (HPET) for Windows® Vista® operating system.
(Default: Enabled)

[FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]HPET Mode[/FONT][/FONT]
Allows you to select the HPET mode for your Windows® Vista® operating system. Select [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]32-bit[/FONT][/FONT]​
mode when you install 32-bit Windows® Vista® ; select [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]64-bit [/FONT][/FONT]mode when you install 64-bit
Windows® Vista®. (Default: 32-bit mode)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This was found in the User Manual that I downloaded.
This must be where nibiru found it as well.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m68sm-s2l_e.pdf

Listed under "Power Management Setup"
Hi clifford_cooley and thanks. But I guess that there is something well amiss here at this end. In my last post I mentioned that I don't think Boot section is being written to disk during the instal of W7 X64 Bit. I remembered that I had downloaded a fully functional 30 day trial of Raxco Perfect Disk 11 Pro and had used it to defrag C drive using the "Smart Placement" option. A wonderful job it does and there at the very beginning of the Drive Map are 73 contiguos purple blocks that represent the Boot sector. Nice place to have the Boot sector I reckon. This is followed by the MFT Zone and the MFT itself. The other files all follow on.
I went through the installing of W7 X64 again and just to expedite the process I did the instal from open W7 X86. Installing to the 'E' drive: ( Disk0 Partition2) the only partition on the drive bar the 'C' System drive.
I then opened Perfect Disk 11 Pro and sent it to analyse 'E' drive and there is not a Purple block of Boot sector to be seen. MFT zone & MFT, but no boot itself.
Considered using Easy BCD Edit to debug/rewrite MBR (Vista) but don't think I'll bother with that. Two reasons, 1/..I can't get EBCD Edit to point to 'E' drive.....2/...I don't know how to use the EBCD Edit software.
So I won't bother.
" Man who chases two rabbits won't catch either of them"
"Crime and Punisment" Fyodor Dostoevsky

Thanks for your input, clifford. I'm wondering (just to chase a solitary rabbit) if the AMD 64 X2 Athlon 3600 2GHz that I have will get the show on the road. Its only dual core but I think its 64Bit capable. I upgraded from it and 1GB of single channel Apacer 5300 667MHz to that which I now have, and was running the W7 X86. I decided to upgrade to instal the 64 Bit W7. ( chuckle.....I'll be NZ$500 spent for nothing, if it does)
Or the other alternative is to get an AM3 motherboard ( average price NZ$150)

I considering one of the following.

Use RAM and CPU I have

Asus M4A785-M
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3

Use CPU and step up to DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H:-
Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO:-
At the end of the day, I should not have to go to that extreme.
Thanks. Well appreciated. I'll check out the link you posted. Cheers
gazza

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Most all Gigabyte motherboards have that setting, I use a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R mobo.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It is NOT the install that's causing the problems. It the way you have your hardware configured, has to be.

DON'T use partitioning software first of all. Disconnect the extra hard drives. Leave the 160GB drive connected.

When you get to the section of the install where the hard drive is listed with (if any) partitions too. DELETE all partitions! This is will work... believe me.

Now create a new partition in the size of 65,639 MB okay? Format it, then make the remainder of the 160GB drive another partition, format it too.

When you create the first partition, it will make a 64GB partition and Windows 7 will automatically create a 100MB partition. Leave that alone... don't mess with it. Windows 7 needs it for some reason. Some people have had successful installs not using it, but I do use it and have had no issues. Besides it's only 100MB.

Install to the 64GB partition and you should be good to go. I tried partitioning software too and all it did was cause problems. Use the partitioning app that's part of the Windows 7 installer and you should be good.

BTW, the 65,639MB size is done by taking 64,100 X 1.024 = 65639 Since Windows considers a GB to be 1,024MB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Niburu2012, I'm sure that you are right but I'm reluctant to wipe clean the 160GB Sata drive that is and has been partitined into C drive 70GB and E drive 78GB since after I installed W7 X86 about 8 weeks ago. I know that W7 can be dual booted X86 and X64. I know of people with multi boot Vista 32 and 64 bit as well as having W7 32 and 64 bit installed to one HDD. Why they would want that config I don't know and its not important.
As i said, I have tried to instal this X64 W7 to the partition 'E' and its not going in. I have also tried installing it to the 1TB SataHDD and to an 80GB seagate IDE ATA HDD, both with and without any other HDD attached to the computer. Both the 1TB and 80GB HDD's are not partitioned at all. Straight out empty of anything but usable space. No joy.
I have downloaded updates to instal during the Instal process, Deleted and formatted drives/partitions during the process....to no avail.
However, I have not as yet tried to instal W7 X64 to the 1TB or the 80GB HDD's since I read your first reply. I will remove the 160GB Sata HDD and attempt to instal of X64 to the 1TB drive. I have no reason to doubt your experience and knowledge and if all goes well there should be X64 installed and running on this computer.
I am not going to delete the 160GB drive and create two empty partitions on it becuase should I not have a success then I have a HDD on which I have to reinstal X86 and all software etc. I know I can make a image/backup and use that to get back that which is on the 32Bit Setup bar the reinstalling of programs, but......I will do as you suggested but use the 1TB Sata HDD. Sucess will have me deleting and formatting the 160GB drive and installing X64 only to it, or using it as a Limbo between the 1RB and expansion external drives.
I'm aware of the 100MB Partition created by Windows. When I have Deleted the 'E' partition it is left behind. Some say it is a System recovery partition, I don't know. But I've always left it where it is.
Right oh. I will get on with another attempt to instal 64Bit W7.
Thanks and I will post back.
gazza

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like I did push the Post quick reply tab after all.
Nibiru2012, I wrote up a longish reply to your above about 2.5 hour ago and it looks like I forgot to click the Post Quick reply tab. Basically my reply explained my reluctance to wipe out the running 32Bit W7 to replace it with a 'hopeful instal of 64 Bit'
I have removed all HDD's bar the one I am going to use. That was the 1TB Sata drive with nothing on it. I did that, booted from disc, deleted the NTFS formatted drive, created a new 1TB drive and formatted it. Then ran the slow as hell instal of 64 Bit. It still wouldn't open into Windows.
Now, I am going to use the 160GB Sata, delete both partitions that are on it, create two new ones as per your advice and set about installing X64 to its 'C' drive.
That is after I do a full backup of the X86 system I have on the drive.
This could take a few hours, but I will be back to post the result.
I read the following thread and it is informative
.https://www.w7forums.com/can-windows7-64bit-and-32bit-work-same-computer-t3952.html
Here goes. Fingers crossed.
gazza :ciao:

ps: I think there is a Transfer Rate problem from optical drive to HDD. I pursued that query on Press F1 a week ago: "Optical drive Transfer Rate is -1.0kb/s".........but thats not the subject at hand here so will leave that alone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi. Back without any success. Here's the latest.
Before I start I'd like to mention here something I overlooked earier. Whenever I have tried to instal and get X64 working I am getting a Message in the POST screen to update DMI.Here is the full message:-
Verifying DMI data Pool
"UPDATE DMI.......................... AMD DATA CHANGE......................................... UPDATE NEW DATA TO DMI'
This happens only when try instal X64, not X86 just prior to pushing a key to boot from CD/DVD. Then during the instal when a restart happens this message will read as DMI Pool OK, then jump back to the "UPDATE AMD CHANGE" etc later on.
The final time that it does this is when a restart happens just when the installation gets to the " Completing Installation" The status bar is about 35-40% short of being fully green and when the computer opens into the " Starting windows" screen, thats as far as it goes. In W7 X86 it restarts and completes the installation til the status bar is fully green and it shows as 100% in numerals.
Also, on the Boot screen whenever X64 was installed to the 'E'drive ( Disk0 Partition3 in this case) there was a entry onscreen giving a CPUID******* and something else I can't remember as I never noted it down.The only way that I will see it again is to load X64 to Partition3 and restart the computer. Chosing to open the X86 version of W7 when the time comes.

Nibiru2012,I followed your instructions to the letter and I'm sorry to say that this computer has got a problem somewhere else.
Is it the BIOS, is the MBR being unwritten to HDD, are the Sata HDD and the IDE ATA PioneerDVD RW on the same controller ( why does it look for CD/DVD Device drivers to instal whenever I tried to use the OS Disc to attempt a Repair, should I be using AHCI or IDE BIOS ( can't remember where it is exactly,sorry).
The com is setup to use SATA HDD in IDE Mode, (have tried AHCI Mode bu that made no difference to instal success/failure), HPET is Enabled and set to 64 Bit. The OS disc is good, I've tried running it from an .ISO i created of it to bypass the use of a slow optical drive that doesn't autoplay any damn disc even if its setup to do so in W7 Autoplay settings.
There is something amiss with the hardware setup, as you said Nibiru2012, but what where?? --Once those two unknowns are uncovered the Why is knowledge usable.
You have been a great help and I repeat, everthing that you advised me to do should have had this 64 Bit show on the road. Alas, it hasn't.....but then, the show's only just begun and it ain't over 'til the Fat Lady sings. :D
In the interim since 10am today when I started the Wipeout drive and start from New which didn't come to the party end of day, I have Wiped clean again and reinstalled W7 X86. Am running on the bare minimum of OS, AV and Firewall and a browser. May start to reload back some Programs/Apps etc over the weekend. The Backup I made hasn't restored my Firefox Bookmarks ( Grrrrrrr) I have been googling and reading threads in this and other W7 forums on topics Update DMI, BIOS..and more. Heres a few threads/sites i vivited.

BOOT SECTOR WRONG DRIVE?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/71823-boot-sector-wrong-drive.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html?filter

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/38215-verifying-dmi-pool-data-stuck.html

UPDATE DMI
http://www.google.co.nz/search?clie...DATE+NEW+DATA+TO+DMI&meta=&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257425-30-resolved-ma790fxt-ud5p-boot-problems

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-247347_30_50.html

That reminds me and I think it is important...............after the incomplete installation of X64, there is no sign of the 100MB System Reserved Partition at Disk0 Partition1. I had to connect to the computer a 4GB IDE ATA HDD with WXP Pro SP2 and that allowed me to use Disk Management to see what was on the Sata drive, there was no 100MB Partition in sight. I believe it is meant to stay there but I could be wrong.

A quick summary of what I did to try installing X64.

Remove all HDD's bar the SATA 160GB
Inserted OS DVD into optic drive , Booted into W7.
Chose Language etc, Chose X64 OS, chose Custom/Advanced
Deleted both C and E partitions made one 149GB unallocated space
Clicked 'New' and made a partition size 66629MB and another one of the remaing space.
Ended up with

Disk0 Partition1:...System Reserved......100MB (Total):.....86MB (Free space).....Type: System
Disk0 Partition2:...65 GB (Total)........65GB (Free space)....Primary
Disk0 Partition3:...84GB (Total)..........84GB (Free space)....Primary

Formatted both Disk0 partitions 2 & 3

Set to instal X64 to Disk0 Partition2.

Off it goes and its only fault that I can see is that which I have mentioned....instal does not continue to completion as soon as instal gets to that stage of Completing Installation.

Thats it, I'm of the same opinion as you Nibiru2012 in that the problem is Hardwre related. It could possibly be Sata/IDE connector cables faulty, BIOS, settins in BIOS. W while back I did a check in 'System Information > Summary and there was not a thing out of place, not a conflict anywhere. Beats me... I can't think of anything else now.
One more thing and a totally absurb note to finish on...last night after the failed attempt to instal X64 to the 1TB Sata HDD and reluctant to wipe my 160GB drive, i visited my neighbour and borrowed a IDE ATA HDD from him. I didn't check its GB capaity and set about the procedure to load to that....well this created all the 3 partitions but it was then I realised tha the HDD was 10GB ( (GB usable!!) AHH what the hell i decided, I was tired and couldn't be bothered throwing my X86 to the wind right then, so I set X64 to load to this drive. And lo and behold it did. It followed the same pattern as the one I give above to both the 1TB and 160GB drives, it didn't complete instal.
How the heck could it?? 14GB close enough on a 8GB drive..not tonight Josephine!!
Any way, it said Starting Windows and didn't but the point is that it had gone through all the steps and not once did I get a notification that The blimmin HDD wasn't BIG enough. Viewed in the WXP Pro Disk Management there was not a 100MB Partition, and the drive had 7.3GB data on it with 1.7GB free space.
Unbelievable.
Thanks again to all that have added thoughts and input
gazza

ps: it could be the Pioneer Optical drive not transferring data to RAM/HDD whenever a Restart occurs...............it takes up to 8 minutes to spin up again....................just a thought. I have a LG DVD RW at a mates place, I'll get it and hook it up. See if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers and thanks to all who replied. I'm sorry but the page with all 4 replies has vanished and I only have pages 1 & 2 now. As best I can remember heres some replies:
clifford_cooley: yes I have read that link but I must add that I do not get to an open W7 X64 desktop. Unfortunately.
Ian: There are more than just the one restarts during the installation process; the 1st is after Loading Temporary files, the 2nd or 3rd is after installing services( i think) the 3rd or 4th is when instal gets to 27% of Expanding Windows files, then restarts and continues ( 5-8minute wait after restart) another couple restarts before getting to the Completing Instal when the bus stops and don't start up again, Driver gone out to lunch.
As far as updates goes, I have set the instal to get updates but the only time it has downloaded any updates ( 1.8MB approx) is when I have tried to load the X64 from an open desktop of X86.........or the great 4GB XP Pro drive. Setup does instal the updates when it gets to the instal updates step, and thats about it, ( I presume updates are being loaded as it takes more time for that step than it does for the Instal Features.....5secs close enough for instal features)
There are at least 8 restarts, and I believe that in there some ***** is happening to the instal of X64 W7....and I dunno what it is.
I'm chewing the cud on the instal/update of the BIOS from the the Award/Phoenix F3 to the Award/Phoenix F9e Beta and my opting to set the "Load optimised defaults". Since then the RAM display in POST has gone from Dual Channel to Unganged. Also, since then, I cannot use a USB2 Flashdrive to load to HDD or change the BIOS back to F3/F4/F5/F7.
All that muddies the waters.
I'm about to sling me hooks on X64 and make do with X86. Adobe CS4 MC runs ok, if it decides to get pernikkity I'll give it the Order of the Boot and revert to CS3.
Hell, whats a loss of 500MB Dual Channel RAM when 3.5GB ( 2.1GB available) of 4GB is on the go with a Virtual Memory of 6GB on the back burner.
??
:smile:

To others that added their opinions and input and whom I can't at present thank, thanks. Much appreciated
gazza

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I had issues once with an older DVD drive not working correctly and going into a continual re-boot on the install. Perhaps that is it.

You definitely are having tons of issues with this install that's for sure.

I wish you luck.

Reaction score
Cheers Nibiru2012, yes I certainly are having some serious hard lines with the instal of X64. As I said, I installed it on two of my HDD's in a mates computer at the weekend and it was a doddle. Also the fact that his W7 Pro X64 (Retail) wouldn't instal to my computer using the Pioneer DVD RW DVR 112D optical drive I have....well...its all been said really.
Thanks for your input and email.
It was a bit late last night to go and get the LG DVD drive but I'm heading that way at 3 this afternoon.
I will post the results of trying a different optical drive.............................optimistic though defeated thus far, I don't really hope for much or any improvement/change using a different DVD drive..................the pessimism is founded in the past having attempted installing from desktop folder and a .iso which in effect leaves an optical drive out of the equation.
Anyway, I can't be sure until I know.
Back later today
gazza
edit: the optical drive (the Pioneer 112D) is less than 3yrs old and has had minimal use. The woman whom gifted me the computer ( without the the X4 630 CPU, 4GB RAM and 1TB internal/external HDDs....and the OC'ing done to it ) only used the computer for banking and playing Spider solitaire. She had it built from new just under 3 yrs back. I have had it for 6-7weeks)....just a thought. Right , I'm off to get the LG.

edit #2: here's a link to an installation of W7 X64 RC. Although its RC it pretty well shows exactly what is happening to me. It is the Last screen shots after the one showing "Completing Installation" that I am not getting into after the restart. I found the link in the given links at the bottom of my thread. Its here:-
http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/13/windows-7-rc-installation-guide-walkthrough/

edit3: Step 1 as shown in the 7th screenshot, the 'Copying Windows Installation files" lasts 2 seconds max. That's a wee bit fast isn't it?!
Installing X86 it goes from 0% to 100%.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The woman whom gifted me the computer
THAT'S what it IS! She put some kind of juju on this computer and you're doomed to spend the rest of your mortal life trying to get it to work! LOL

This computer is the "silicon" version of Groundhog Day!! :D

Reaction score
Nibiru2012 and all that pass this way, here's the full SP on the computer (SP= story, starting price....London UK colloquialism)
The woman lives in Auckland NZ and is dying: terminal cancer. She constantly kept messing up her computers and I would get them to reboot and again play sound, when I lived local to her or from here, Invercargill NZ, using TeamViewer. She usually used WXP HOEM.
Bring into the picture her 40yr old son, still resident at home. When her computer messed up with sound loss early jan and it was running W7 X86, I couldn't get the sound to work(using TeamViewer). It had lost its driver (somehow) and rollback didn't work, update didn't work, nor did the AC97 I d-loaded and installed. (course AC97 not going to work.........W7 uses Realtek ALC889 as I found out later. W7 I had on my Compaq Presario S3010AN and it only had a Base score of 1.something.
I digress
So I'll digress further.........................her son who she had bought a new quad core computer and a laptop had his older Acer dual core of some model I can't remember. Well he decided to use his blimmin ACER recovery disks to repair her computer. Didn't fix the sound and also didn't fix the lost internet connections (USB or Ethernet) She had about 15 things connected to USB hubs.
Anyway, she bought a new computer. Her son told me hers was stuffed. I offered to buy it( had AMD Athlon 3600+ 2GHz CPU and 1GB Apacer 667 DDR2 RAM).
Son then tried to take out the Athlon CPU and put it into his Acer. Completely screwd it up as they NOT same fittings. Hers was AM2 his was 754 I think from memory........it was AMD Sempron 3100.
He managed to get the CPU of hers back into the AM2 socket well enough and undamaged, BUT as for the Sempron 3100, he broke off one of the pins and those that he didn't he may as well had done................when I saw it, it looked as though someone totally drunk or asleep at the wheel of a bulldozer, or dead at it, had driven through a field of hay or corn.
He, the son, also tried fitting the graphics card into his computer......what ever else he did I dunno but he tried out his best to upgrade his ACER computer. Failed.
While he was doing all these things and it was after his mother had said that she would give it to me, it became known that she had terminal cancer. Life expectancy.....6-12 months.
He eventually couriered me the computer tower, WXP H OEM CD and the W7 Ultimate DVD, not the monitor, she had a massive HDMI TV/LCD that she used. The son has it now.............one for each of his two desktops. His laptop is in a bad shape since it hit the bedroom wall because it wouldn't play a DX10 game.
When I got the computer it was basically an Acer running WXPHome.
I paid for the courier and the deal was that I get him a new Sempron 3100 CPU.
Done.
I sent his mum a well wishing card and thank you.
That's it
Bring on the dancing beers :dancing2:
Now for the LG input attempt
on a note here, I tried installing X64 to Disk0 Partition3 with an AHCI setting in BIOS. Got as far as the creating of the 100MB System and XXXGB Primary partitions and got message that the System Partition could not be created and Instal could not be made to the Primary partition................something about drive controllers not enabled for that drive.
Switched back to IDE and haven't attempted to instal X64.

Back later
gazza

edit: That CPUID that showed on screen @ POST when X64 installed (ha ha) to disk0 partition2 ( E drive) showed up again when I tried to instal X64 to Disk0 Partition 3 is as follows;
CPUID:00100F52..........PatchID: 0086
I don't know if its relevant to the issue at hand, but...............I'll do a Google on it soon.
ciao for now

Last edited:
Reaction score
No changes to report. Same old story. I'm beginning to seriously think BIOS. HDD's being faulty isn't in the firing line. The 1TB drive is 6 weeks old ( I know that a faulty one can slip through quality control),
Why do I think the BIOS i put in to run the AMD AM3 Athlon II X4 630 in an AM2 m-board is faulty? Answer is its the only thing that I haven't tried to change. Whether it be back to the F3 version that I replaced with the F9e beta in order to get the cpu to run, as I was told, or to some other version, F4, F5, F7. I have them all, its not going to screw up my com if I try F4/5/7. I can always reload F3 or F9e
Before I changed to the F9e BIOS, the Quad core 630 was running on the F3 Bios.
I got in touch with the fella in Auckland to ask if this coms DVD player autoplayed when he had it. He said it did, until he did the miracle cure using his Acer recovery discs.
I'm going back to F3 BIOS. I'll also drop the AMD 64 Athlon X2 3600 CPU bak into the com and try installing X64 with that.
Back to the beginning as it was when I got the box, but I will use the 1TB HDD and see if X64 opens into a usable desktop.
Sigh.
ciao for now
gazza

edit 1: what about if I try a 64 Bit Vista Home Basic instal and if it instals I can just do an upgrade to W7 X64 Ultimate. I know someone with Vista Home Basic. According to this it can be done.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/performing-custom-installation-windows-7/?os=other
But then, a bit more reading to other links on the pages throw up typical MS gobble-de gook and contradictions.
I have just used the W7 Upgrade advisor and as it stands, this computer is good to go 64 Bit.
If the BIOS changes( which I really think are a waste of time and effort but I'll do them anyway) and the Vista trick don't work I'll be staying 32 Bit

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I really feel for you because you've tried just about everything. It's frustrating I know, I've been there!

Here's a shot of my layout looks, if that might help.

Reaction score
Nibiru2012. Thank you.
I have had success and it didn't come cheap. I managed to screw the BIOS by using @BIOS to look for a update to the F9e. Well it found this " Nividia 2075/nForce 630a" and I ok'd the update and instal of it. Don't know why I did, because it isn't a BIOS as such like Z-Cars 64 or whayever: its the chipset drivers.
HAd to reboot computer and on restart there's a black screen..I think the computer is sorting out the data change.Went made a cuppa tea, and a person here went in to use the computer and hit the POWER button to turn it on. ...turned it blimmin off..........then on again..............................seen nothing but a black screen for two days.
Went a bought a new Gigabyte MA-GA74GM-S2 rev 4.0, not exactly the model I wanted but it was all that was available immediately.....NZ$140.0 Set it up in tower and all the other bits to get it running, Thought I'd try to do the instal of X64 again seeing as I had an AM3 Mobo and a new BIOS, it is BIOS FA.
Same slow boat to china with the optical drive but it had a new connecter cable/ribbon and also the SATA HDD I attached the new sata connecter cable, so that was that. I decided to try the Dual boot again as it was what was bugging me most, and my heart missed a beat when it didn't restart when reaching the 'Completing Installation' part, and I watched and waited for it to restart but I could see the green staus bar moving slowly as I had put the mouse pointer on its position.
Eventally it did restart, and my heart missed another beat but when it came on screen it was finishing up and testing Video and a couple other things and then it was all go.
I rebooted and have two W7 options to choose from, shame one doesn't say X86 and the other X64..................but I know which is which.
I haven't installed to the 1TB SATA HDD, I installed to the 160GB (149GB) SATA HDD and depending on which version I want to run it seems to make that the Active Boot Dive.
I wanted both systems because I wanted to see what programs I have on X86 are not comptible with X64. There eems to be two camps on that subject, some say that most if not 99% all 32 bit are compatible with 64 Bit. Others say the opposite.
I'll find out, hopefully not the hard way.
Here is a PNG of my system, if it goes to post here, I don't know how to shrink the image as you had done but I'll try to attach it here.
system HDD setup:-
http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/gbroman/?action=view&current=Capture3.png
I only had the 1 HDD but I also just connected the 1TB External HDD as it has AV and Firewall programs etc on it that I use.
This endevour of getting 64 Bit on my computer has been a learning epic!!!
much thanks
gazza
Damn, I don't seem to be able to attach a PNG of Disk Management of my computer. I'll work on it and figure it out and post one.
edit 1: Nibiru 2012, I like your seperate Page File Partition. I had read about making it separarte and that best place for it was at the very beginning of the System disk where Data tranfer is at its fastest. Haven't tried it yet. I did have a 'Page File Defrag' program when I was running XP Pro SP3. It defragged the PF at the very beginning just after the boot / opening screen.Normally Defrag apps don't/can't/won't defrag a PF or a Hiber file...or Sys Restore.
But anyway, Its all good. :thrasher:

edit 2: I'm still at a loss to actually pinpoint why X64 wouldn't instal properly before. At the end of the day, it could have been the the GA-M68SM-S2L mobo, the F9e BIOS, an AM3 CPU in an AM2 Mobo, a faulty IDE or SATA connector ribbon/cable, a mixture of more than one of these things or just plain Murphy's Law.
Perhaps it was a bonus that I had the new Mobos' Drivers CD (?).........though I didn't use it until X64 was installed.
I looked into the BIOS of the new mobo to check HPET and it was set to Enable and I couldn't see any alteration places to set either 32 or 64 Bit so I just left it all as it was. That was before I installed X64. I didn't attempt to set the mode to AHCI, I didn't even look into it. I know when I tried to set it to AHCI from IDE Mode W7 X86 wouldn't open and AHCI wouldn't get X64 working either. So I simply left everything as it was.
Thats it. I hope what I have been through will help someone else with a similar problem as I had.
Thanks to all contributors.
gazza

Last edited:

Ask a Question