Windows 7 x64 Build 7068 - Won't Shutdown

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently installed build 7068 on my machine (Acronis True Image works again at last) and unfortunately it no longer shuts down completely. It sits there thinking for a while at the 'Shutting down...' stage, and I see my USB devices go down etc, however it never actually cuts power to the machine.

This isn't a huge problem as if I cut the power myself there's no indication of an unclean shutdown when I next boot the machine - however it's a little annoying none the less and so I thought I'd put it out there just incase anyone had a solution.

Thanks in advance,
James

Reaction score
You mentioned Acronis when installing build 7068. How exactly did you install Windows that required Acronis?

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies for any confusion - Acronis wasn't actually involved in the installation at all, I have just subsequently installed it on my 7068 system.

As it wouldn't install on 7000 and was the whole reason for the upgrade to 7068 I included it in my initial post ... despite it having absolutely nothing to do with the issue (still failed to shut down before it was installed) :p.

Thanks,
James

Reaction score
Ah, I see.

Can you give me some more details about the configuration of your system?

It's entirely possible that you're experience a transient issue, or what Microsoft calls a build-to-build bug. It's something that's exceptionally difficult to troubleshoot because it could be the confluence of your specific PC, drivers and build causing an issue that's unique to you.

We'll try, though.

Reaction score
Well, build 7000 x64 worked on the same hardware as a starting point.

It was a fresh installation of build 7068 and the issue was apparent right from first boot, without any alterations to configuration and with whatever default drivers Windows came up with.

Off the top of my head I can't tell you the motherboard model, however the rest of the system stacks up as:
  • AMD Athlon X2 5000+
  • 2GB RAM
  • IDE HDD
  • No optical drive(s)
  • nVidia GeForce 9600GT
The only things that springs to mind is my USB external HDD which has been giving me some trouble since I installed build 7068 - specifically a couple of instances where it's stopped responding followed later by a BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSOD, and a few times at which it hasn't been recognised on boot.

Again if you are in need of any further information do tell, and I'll put together something more detailed when I get home later.

Thanks,
James

Reaction score
A newer build isn't always more free from bugs than a prior one. Many times a new build is used to test bug fixes which are entirely capable of creating their own issues, and get removed or retooled for a later build.

I would try the system without the external HDD, and make sure that all of your devices are updated to the very newest Vista x64 (or Windows 7) drivers you can find. Place special emphasis on updating your chipset drivers as these often have the most influence in a proper shutdown sequence.

Reaction score
Windows 7068.
Just to add another ingredient to the pot.
Approximately every 3 restarts my computer doesn't. (Yes, English is my first language. :D)
It shuts down instead. It's not a big deal. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
since 7068

Hi since 7068 win7 won't shutdown completely, technically it does, but doesn't turn off the computer. I've tried everything suggested, and no soap.
I'm using dual boot with vista, both x64, on separate drives.

Reaction score
hmmm

same problem.i just installed acronis true image 2009 on windows 7 x64 RTM.

Ask a Question