W7 Ultimate as the OS - Help Please

Reaction score
i purchased a new PC that came with Windows 7 Home Premium, I have not opened the box. I would like to use W7 Ultimate as the OS.. but i need help with the following..

• can I install the Ultimate OS (Full Version) directly, without installing OEM Home Premium?
  • what does the N mean after Ultimate?
  • my PC has 4GM Memory (the maximum), I'm confused about bits 64 and 32?
Thank you; any other guidelines would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Reaction score
i purchased a new PC that came with Windows 7 Home Premium, I have not opened the box. I would like to use W7 Ultimate as the OS.. but i need help with the following..

• can I install the Ultimate OS (Full Version) directly, without installing OEM Home Premium?
  • what does the N mean after Ultimate?
  • my PC has 4GM Memory (the maximum), I'm confused about bits 64 and 32?
Thank you; any other guidelines would be appreciated.

Sincerely
1. If the computer came with Home Premium, it is preinstalled and Ultimate is not an option unless you purchase "Ultimate" separately, in which case you'd have to upgrade or clean install the OS with the Ultimate version. However......unless you have a specific purpose for wanting "Ultimate", are you sure you want to go to the extra expense? Ultimate does not do a great deal more than the Home Premium version.
Here's an MS link to the comparison of versions:
http://store.microsoft.com/Windows7/Compare

2. N? I don't know.

3. This link is to an article here on the forum about 64 vs 32 bit. It should help. https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like you have already purchased Windows Ultimate N version already.

The "N" stands for WMP, DVDmaker, Media Center, IE8 has been removed by M$. Its the European version. You can download the missing programs from the Windows website however. Therefore you must live in Europe somewhere.

Since you have 4GB of RAM, go ahead and install the x64 version. It will utilize the full potential of the RAM and your CPU.

I would highly recommend that you do a clean install of your x64 OS. Especially if the Home Premium version is x86 (32 bit) since you cannot do an "uprgrade" from x86 to x64 OS.

P.S.
From Wikipedia: As with previous versions of Windows, an N version, which does not come with Windows Media Player, has been released in Europe, but only for sale directly from Microsoft sales websites and select others.

So I was wrong on some of the above on my post. Ah well...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#cite_note-66

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Microsoft, based on OEM feedback, scrapped the 'E' edition of Windows 7 and went ahead with a regular version of Windows 7 in the European Union/UK that includes both Internet Explorer 8 and Windows Media Player 12. The regular version, instead, l provides a ballot box, allowing you to select your default web browser.
Windows 7 'N' continues to be available, as an option of course, for consumers and OEMs
Microsoft On The Issues Legal and Policy Issues Blog:
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/07/31/windows-7-and-browser-choice-in-europe.aspx

As Niburu2012, suggested, you appear to have the ultimate version anyway?? As far as 64Bit or 32Bit is concerned, it may come right down to what DVD Keys you have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will have to wait a little longer for W7

Thank you all for your time and replys.. I will have to wait a little longer for W7, my new PC arrived and on closer inspection I noticed 2 GB Ram missing and 2 USB ports missing. I called their customer service dept, and they just don't want to know; call tech support; no a manager will not speak with you. I have written to the CEO asking they collect. I'm sure I am in for lots of stress.

This has really fustrated me as I had spent ages reviewing desktops and ordered what the mags advise is the best for the price.

Sincerely

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thank you all for your time and replys.. I will have to wait a little longer for W7, my new PC arrived and on closer inspection I noticed 2 GB Ram missing and 2 USB ports missing. I called their customer service dept, and they just don't want to know; call tech support; no a manager will not speak with you. I have written to the CEO asking they collect. I'm sure I am in for lots of stress.

This has really fustrated me as I had spent ages reviewing desktops and ordered what the mags advise is the best for the price.

Sincerely
Sounds like it is time to put on your "Squeakiest wheel gets the most grease" hat!!

Stay on them like stink on you know what!

Reaction score
Wow, I can see ordering a machine and it be 2 Gig or ram short ( wrong type of ram) but missing 2 USB ports? That is a hardware issues. Are you sure the model numbers for what you ordered are the same as what you got?

Reaction score
Muppets

Yes, .. just shows how bad the manufacturer is.. they now ignore my calls.

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

My credcard provider suggested i write to its disputes dept and also mentioned, if they cannot help, to take a look at Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Or would it be easier to take them to the Small Claims Court.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I would "think" the better/easier course would be to go through your Credit Card company rather than Small Claims, but this is only my thoughts on the matter...I'm not a lawyer, paralegal or judge

Reaction score
By filing a dispute with your CC company, you should be able to get the charges reversed. You will probably have to leave the machine untouched while you work through the issues.

If you bough the machine based on a web ad or configuration, you can save it as a PDF and then scan your delivery receipt and/or system configuration settings and then compare.

You will get faster suction from your CC company because they hold the purse strings :))) and can reverse the charges at the push of a button.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Just to be curious, who in the hell is this computer maker? Are they a major supplier? This is too important not to let the rest of the forum know about.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
In the USA, the credit card companies protect you on purchases. In Europe, I don't know the laws, but calling your credit card issuer won't hurt. Laws vary from country to country. Whatever you do, stay on their backs until it's right. That's one thing that I like about paying with PayPal. They have a resolution center, if the merchant cheats you, it will be made right. I always look for the PayPal symbol as a checkout option, they are the best at protecting you.

Reaction score
sounds like your better off finding yourself a decent computer shop locally and make some friends there . then you can get decent parts and build a decent system and forget the mail order s**T that stuffs not worth the ink the ads printed on. what company did you go through? so we all can be warned about their poor business skills and avoid them like the plague that they are. they sond like ytheyre scamming you for money and id do what your credit card provider said.. file a claim. youre in the right here and they'll have no choice but to listen to a lawyer because they gave you no other choice.
id say screw the company you got the system from.. reverse any credit card charges youd made to them and cancell the purchase. as well fins the better business bureau in your area to report the incident as well. such filth should not be allowed to market and get your credit company to back you up on that >:)
FULL LEGAL BULLET NO MERCY!
do not stray and do not back down. show them no mercy hit them where it really counts and make them pay for their inattentiveness. they will not be spared any quarter best of luck kman you'll need it

YEAH! PAYPAL FTW!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
WyldBlackWolf, I like your style of bringing things out. You don't hold nothing back, and I agree with you, screw the company who ripped off sgrahams. I would like to know who the company is myself, but I respect the wishes of others, so I won't ask again. He may be advised by an attorney to keep quiet about who it is. sgrahams, I hope you do get a satisfactory resolution to your problem, it is the few bad apples out there who makes a lot of us distrust anyone. That's why I use PayPal or AMEX. They both protect you in most circumstances.

Ask a Question