W7 freezes when I play video

Reaction score
Windows 7 freezes when I try to play a video. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it goes on for a while. It doesn't matter whether I'm trying to watch a video on media player or youtube, both IE8 and media player stop responding.

Windows 7 tryed to solve it by suggesting I uninstall and reinstall adobe flash player, but it hasn't worked. I also went online and found the microsoft troubleshooting page for this problem and downloaded the technician programme that tried to fix the codec which was causing the problem, but the programme didn't find a problem despite the fact that there obviously is one.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Anyone?
It's a really irritating problem.
I also can't play games when it's like this.
I ran full virus scans from 2 different programmes but both found nothing.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Have you tried updating graphic drivers? That's the most probable explanation.
If you post your system specs, I might be able to find the drivers for you.

By the way, a good codec pack is Shark007's Windows 7 Codec Pack
http://shark007.net/

Reaction score
Thanks for replying :)
I'm not a noob when it comes to using computers, but when it breaks, I pretty much have no idea what to do, so system specs is a foreign term to me.
But I had a little look and found this stuff. Some of it sounds pretty unrelated though.

Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Inspiron 1545
Rating: 3.4 (Windows Experience Index)
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz 2.19 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

How would I go about updating my graphics drivers?
I am such a noob right now D:

Reaction score
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz 41 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0G848F (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1366x768
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
244GB Seagate ST9250315AS (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

I downloaded Speccy, and thats the summary. It goes into more detail on each, but I wasn't too sure which bits to post.

Monitor
Name Generic PnP Monitor on Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels
Work Resolution 1366x728 pixels
State enabled, primary
Monitor Width 1366
Monitor Height 768
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Memory 1292 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 8.15.10.1808
Memory type 2
Driver version 8.15.10.1808

That is the more detailed one for graphics.
Let me know if this is of any use.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
FC - I think he needs to know specifically which Intel chipset he has. Apparently the speccy program isn't doing the trick, because it's not listing the exact chipset model.

He would be better to use S.I.W., which is free also and will give him more detailed info about his notebook motherboard's hardware chips.

Download: SIW Freeware 2010 (build 0428)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: It's the Intel Cantiga GM45 chipset. It took me less than a minute to find it using ixquick and then to Dell's website.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How do I know which one to pick? Is it just the top one?

You can probably tell this is all a bit confusing for me.

Reaction score
Error:
The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit.

So I take it it wasn't the second one on the list..

Reaction score
Intel® Chipset Identification Utility - Download the Intel Chipset Identification Utility

I don't know what the utility tells or does. I am only supplying the link. :)
Try one of the above links and then tell us exactly which graphical chip-set you have.

I was simply helping out Fire Cat. I know that was the link that he was referring too. If the link did not work we will need to know more about your computers hardware to help further.

Reaction score
So, err.. what is it I do now?
Have you tried downloading Divx encoder>?? if the encoder doesnt work with that video you will know its maybe your laptop. there are many free video encoder apps out there..

Reaction score
Ok, so I downloaded System Information for Windows and its pretty detailed, which is good. Under the Video heading, it says
'Video Processor: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family'
amongst other things, but that seemed most relevant. And I can't highlight the writing to copy and paste it, so I can only type out so much.
Is that info of any use, or should I be looking under a different heading?

Reaction score
The second link mentioned above should have worked - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows 7* 64 and Windows Vista* 64 (exe)
This software driver package will install the Intel® HD Graphics driver for the Intel® Pentium® G6950 Processor, Intel® Core™ i3 Processors, Intel® Core™ i5 Processors, Intel® Core™ i3 Mobile Processors, Intel® Core™ i5 Mobile Processors, and Intel Core™ i7 Mobile Processors and the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator driver for the Intel® G41, G43, G45, Q43, Q45 Express Chipset and the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. These drivers will not function with any other product. View the README file for installation information and the RELEASE NOTES for driver version details. This driver package contains version 15.17.4.64.2119 (8.15.10.2119) for Windows 7* 64-bit and Windows Vista* 64-bit.
The only other advice I know to give would be to download your drivers straight from the manufacturer. - Drivers & Downloads for Inspiron 1545

Reaction score
First thing I would suggest is to check your pc for bugs, errors, registry errors, virus's and spyware/malware/adware. I suggest you download these programs if you don't already have them and run each one. These are free and can be found a cnet.com.

Adaware
CCleaner
Spybot S&D
Auslogic disk defrager
Auslogic registry defrager
Spyware doctor - (get this from the google home page, under more and even more, then select pack, choose what apps you want, just select spyware doctor.)

Then I recommend a good utilities program for general pc cleaning and performance. There are many to choose from free/paid. Tuneup Utilities has a free trial period. I use the paid version for windows 7.

Once this is done then go to MS updates and check for any and all updates that you might have missed. Then check all your hardware for the latest drivers and update as needed. Then reboot your system and then check video playback for issues.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I have tried. I've run pretty much all troubleshooting programmes and diagnostics, but none detect a problem. I've also updated drivers amongst other things, but that didn't help so I restored the computer to factory settings, but the problem is still here. This is close enough to a brand new laptop, I've had it for less than two months and it shouldnt be doing this, so I think Im going to try get it sent back, because there is nothing else I can do.

Ask a Question