VMWare USB Arbitration Service issues

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is an on & off issue. At least half of the times that I've used the free VMWare Player, I'm having troubles with the USB Arbitration Service starting. The notice given is that it needs to be enabled on the host, but when I go to Services, I try to start the service, it fails.

Plus the floppy tries to connect, but cant, it then says that it will continue to run with it disconnected. Now, I don't know what this virtual floppy is for, what it does, or anything else about it. But I do know this, when the floppy doesn't work, then the USB Arbitration Service doesn't.

Meaning that I cannot connect USB devices, such as printers or flash drives to the created VM. If it were a Linux VM, it wouldn't really matter, but these are Windows ones, I need the service to work.

Anyone know of a workaround for this?

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OH, it is it's own product. If they have a help forum for their software you might have a better chance at an answer.

Are you running 3.1.4 released in March? It mentions solving a problem if you have over 10 USB host controllers.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I may just check their forum out. Hopefully, there will be an answer to be found w/o joining. Some forums have members only access to the postings, though.

No big deal, I already have a membership there, as I tried out their free server app, but it wasn't my cup of tea. The solution to my issue is probably a simple one.

Cat

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Vmware recently released VMware player 4, so if you are using an older version I'd recommend upgrading.

I have never experienced this issue Miomy, but I would suggest you try turning off the affected VM's, and then in the settings panel removing the floppy A drive entirely. It can also be removed from the lower right corner of the VM window itself. Given the problem was linked to this, it may help and I suspect nobody needs to use a floppy anymore anyway.

Also, while it may not help, is VMware tools installed on the Guest OS?

Ask a Question