Vista to W7 upgrade error on new HDD

Reaction score
Here's the rundown:
Old HDD conked-off during a SMART event. I installed a new, larger HDD, a model which was recommended by both Acer and Western Digital.
As per Acer's instruction, I installed original, old OS first (Vista x64 home), upgraded with all SP's before upgrading to W7 x64 home with original, Acer supplied upgrade disk. The whole scenario worked fine on the old HDD, just to mention.
The W7 upgrade works all the way until about 99% before error "cannot upgrade current version of Windows on this computer's hardware". No error code or any other explanation, before roll-back sets in.

I have tried both upgrade and clean install, with same results. Western Digital ran a data lifeguard diagnostics on the HDD which came out clean. I have also upgraded the BIOS as suggested by Acer.
I did create a partition for back-up purposes, but the problem has been the same before or after partitioning.

Any advise on the cause and possible solution is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Is your Acer-supplied Windows 7 upgrade disc an Acer specific disc or is it a standard MS Windows 7 Upgrade disc?

Actually it's the product key that is the difference here. If you can get possession of a MS Windows 7 disc in the Home Premium version, I recommend you just do a clean install of Home Premium and go from there. IT CAN be done, as I and many others have done it too. Paul Thurrott's SuperSite For Windows even has a tutorial on how to do a clean install from a Windows 7 Upgrade disc.

Besides, your install and subsequent system will run much better versus doing an upgrade over the top of Vista. Many users installing 7 over the top of Vista have experienced lots of problems.

Go here to download an ISO image of Home Premium X64 edition, then install the SP1 pack immediately after the install.

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

You can burn the ISO to good quality blank DVD disc using ImgBurn software which is free.

Reaction score
Thanks for your info!

It is an Acer supplied upgrade disk. I haven't got as far as entering the product key before the error occurred. The upgrade disk does give me the option of upgrading or clean installing, I have tried both ways.
The upgrade DID work smoothly on the old WD HDD. I will attempt to boot from an ISO image.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
NO! Do not boot from an ISO image, burn the ISO image to a blank DVD.

Don't try any shortcuts. Install the normal way and that way you won't have any problems.

What brand and model of hard drive did you get for the replacement? Barring any hard drive QC issues, regardless of the drive, you should not have any problems installing Windows 7.

If it's a big capacity hard drive, then partition it during the install. I usually recommend a 64GB partition plus the 100MB one that 7 wants to install. When making that partition in the install windows that shows the hard drive and it's capacity, use the figure in MB of: 65,639 MB. That is the 64GB plus 100MB times 1.024 = 65,639 total MB.

Reaction score
Apologies, I have misphrased this: I have burned an ISO image to DVD and booted from DVD. Same problem.
The new HDD is a Western Digital as well, I had contacted them prior to making the purchase to ensure compliance. the new HDD is the one they had recommended to work on my laptop.
It is a 640GB, I have already partioned it, formatted the partition where I performed the install (as recommended by Acer after my first few attempts failed), and did both upgrade and clean install attempts. Still, bubpkis...no matter which way I go, it stops just before the end with the same error message: "cannot upgrade current version of vindows on this hardware"

NO! Do not boot from an ISO image, burn the ISO image to a blank DVD.

Don't try any shortcuts. Install the normal way and that way you won't have any problems.

What brand and model of hard drive did you get for the replacement? Barring any hard drive QC issues, regardless of the drive, you should not have any problems installing Windows 7.

If it's a big capacity hard drive, then partition it during the install. I usually recommend a 64GB partition plus the 100MB one that 7 wants to install. When making that partition in the install windows that shows the hard drive and it's capacity, use the figure in MB of: 65,639 MB. That is the 64GB plus 100MB times 1.024 = 65,639 total MB.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Is there an existing Windows 7 install on the hard drive?

Have you changed any settings in the BIOS?

Have you had Acer tech support walk you through this while attempting the 7 install?

Reaction score
I have updated the BIOS, but only after recommendations by Acer.
The problem is the same before and after BIOS update.

Initially the HDD was clean, no previous install. I have installed W7 on top of Vista and/ or swiped the drive and attempted a clean install.

Although Acer support was initially reluctant to assist (warranty expired), they have been kind enough to explain the process, The upgrade was a breeze on the old HDD, plus I updated my desktop before as well without a hassle.

Is there an existing Windows 7 install on the hard drive?

Have you changed any settings in the BIOS?

Have you had Acer tech support walk you through this while attempting the 7 install?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The upgrade was a breeze on the old HDD, plus I updated my desktop before as well without a hassle.
So you have a HD with this product key already installed? It sounds like you may even have two?

Reaction score
I had installed W7 with this product code on the old HD which crashed.
I did not have a chance to enter a product key on the new HD as the installation stopped before I had to enter a key.

So you have a HD with this product key already installed? It sounds like you may even have two?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How is this HD formatted? How many partitions, what type partition table?

Reaction score
I can boot into boot disk or run the upgrade kit straight out of Vista.
I ran the Windows Upgrade Advisor a couple of times and results are ok, except for a few non-OS related software issues my machine is ready to work on W7.

Can you even boot to a boot disk? If you can then I would run the Windows Upgrade Advisor and see what it says.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
tallsamoan said:
or run the upgrade kit straight out of Vista
I don't understand; either the HD is formatted or it isn't. If it was formatted then Vista doesn't exist on it. If you have an upgrade disk then you cannot dual-boot Vista and W7 so you cannot keep both on the machine. And as Nibs mentioned even on an upgrade it is recommended to install from scratch which means the HD gets formatted (empty) and you install.

So you back up your data and your logons (Windows Easy Transfer is good for this) to DVDs or an external drive. Then you put in the Upgrade disk and you boot to it, Not to Vista; this is done by making sure your DVD is the first drive loaded in your BIOS. And you choose to format the HD completely and allow it to install W7 on an empty HD. Then you restore your WET back-up and you should have a W7 formatted HD with no Vista on it whatsoever.

Reaction score
I have tried to install W7 first on top of Vista as an upgrade, then as a clean install, lastly on a formatted, empty HD.

Also I have attempted the install from boot, with the DVD drive first in booting order.

I don't understand; either the HD is formatted or it isn't. If it was formatted then Vista doesn't exist on it. If you have an upgrade disk then you cannot dual-boot Vista and W7 so you cannot keep both on the machine. And as Nibs mentioned even on an upgrade it is recommended to install from scratch which means the HD gets formatted (empty) and you install.

So you back up your data and your logons (Windows Easy Transfer is good for this) to DVDs or an external drive. Then you put in the Upgrade disk and you boot to it, Not to Vista; this is done by making sure your DVD is the first drive loaded in your BIOS. And you choose to format the HD completely and allow it to install W7 on an empty HD. Then you restore your WET back-up and you should have a W7 formatted HD with no Vista on it whatsoever.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I don't mean to be snobby here or elitist, but I really don't think you're doing something correctly. Have you messed with the BIOS in the notebook? Have you changed any other settings?

Go to this link and look at the screens and see if where it stops on you is shown: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/windows-7-clean-install-screens

Regardless of which install DVD you're using, you're saying it still stops at the same point every time? If so, then I suspect you have some bad RAM, and you need to take them to a local computer shop and them tested. Also, you can download MemTest'86 and run the CD ISO program they have, burn it to a blank CD and boot it and let it run for a while and see what readings you get.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And always it's the same msg? Your Vista is 64bit Home Prem according to your Computer Specs so your CPU supports 64-bit.

You were trying an upgrade DVD from Acer; perhaps there is something odd about it. It is 64bit Home Prem W7 right? Have you tried downloading & burning the 64-bit home prem that Nibs linked and trying that DVD? (If it installs then the W7 key you have will work as long as it's also for Home Premium.)

I'm afraid it's a bit unusual & my first ideas were the new HD partitioning (like MBR vs GPT) or BIOS settings issues or a bad install disc. Basically like Nibs said, possible hardware issue. Other than that I don't know :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand the confusion. I am usually quite capable of figuring this stuff out myself, only after I had exhausted all possibilities I posted here to gain additional input from you folks.

I have updated the BIOS and not dicked around otherwise. The problem occurred before an after the BIOS update.

I pass all installation screens, the installation process runs through all instances and stops right at the very end, without error code.
Although I have not run a MemTest, I am extremely certain all other hardware is working just fine, incl. RAM.
I will run a MemTest in a couple of days and shall report.

Appreciate all your patience, thanks.

I don't mean to be snobby here or elitist, but I really don't think you're doing something correctly. Have you messed with the BIOS in the notebook? Have you changed any other settings?

Go to this link and look at the screens and see if where it stops on you is shown: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/windows-7-clean-install-screens

Regardless of which install DVD you're using, you're saying it still stops at the same point every time? If so, then I suspect you have some bad RAM, and you need to take them to a local computer shop and them tested. Also, you can download MemTest'86 and run the CD ISO program they have, burn it to a blank CD and boot it and let it run for a while and see what readings you get.

Reaction score
I had used the upgrade disk before without a hitch. It is a W7 x64 indeed.
That the upgrade disk got corrupted jumped to my mind right away, I did copy the disk to pc and burned a new ISO image at very low speed s suggested elsewhere, with same results.

I even purchases a brand new W7 x64 from Staples, attempted install with same results!! No matter which version I choose it stops just before registering the product, so product key is not even an issue here.

I understand the wackiness of the issue and appreciate all your input.
Thanks!

And always it's the same msg? Your Vista is 64bit Home Prem according to your Computer Specs so your CPU supports 64-bit.

You were trying an upgrade DVD from Acer; perhaps there is something odd about it. It is 64bit Home Prem W7 right? Have you tried downloading & burning the 64-bit home prem that Nibs linked and trying that DVD? (If it installs then the W7 key you have will work as long as it's also for Home Premium.)

I'm afraid it's a bit unusual & my first ideas were the new HD partitioning (like MBR vs GPT) or BIOS settings issues or a bad install disc. Basically like Nibs said, possible hardware issue. Other than that I don't know :(

Reaction score
I have a few screenshots attached which break down the upgrade process until the error window pops-up.
Also attached is the windows upgrade advisor box, in case it contains an error I cannot spot.
The process windows are identical during an upgrade or clean install.

Attachments

Ask a Question