USB Ports Issue

Reaction score
I bought this PC DELL Optiplex 780 ( OS WIN 7 & Professional)from Dell Auctions about 3months ago. I recently tried using my Thumb Flash Drive in the Front of the Two USB ports and non of the ports recognised the Flash Drive. I also tried the rear USB Ports neither of them work too. I thought at first that this NEW Flash drive was BAD, But I have Four other Flash Drives which does the SAME.
Even though looking in the Device Manager it shows up with a Yelllow triangle!, I tried installing installing the UPGRADE and it fails with a CODE 28. I tried all possible suggestions on the web and on YOUTUBE with no avail.
I would truly appreciate if some could Please Solve this issue.

Thank You,
Leojoe1

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please post a screenshot of device manager so we can see the yellow triangles & descriptions.

You tried installing an upgrade to what exactly?

Most likely what you need is a driver or two from Dell so your computer recognizes the USB ports. I would start with the drivers under "chipset".

Reaction score
Please post a screenshot of device manager so we can see the yellow triangles & descriptions.

You tried installing an upgrade to what exactly?

Most likely what you need is a driver or two from Dell so your computer recognizes the USB ports. I would start with the drivers under "chipset".
Hi Trainableman,
Thank you so much for replying fast, I have already done so with the CHIPSET from dell, and even tried In regedit, navigate to the location below. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\USBSTOR
trying to install & Unintstall and it did NOT work for me. At this point I'm really frustrated. Any other suggestions? Can I reinstall Win7 by striking F12 repeated on power up by holding down crtl??? as you can see from my posting I bought this PC from DELL AUCTIONs.
I can remember some one said on another forum that this might have been used at BUSINESS that they sometimes Disable the USB Port so that the employees cannot use the function of USB FLASH DRIVE, Is this true? If this the case is there any wat I can get around this issue.
The funny thing is iI hear a sound when I plug a Flash Drive in any Port the PC provides and it also shows up in the Device Manager, buit when I try to upgrade the drivers it comes up with a message that the drivers were installed but prevented while it was been in installation , ACCESS DENIED with a CODE 28.

Leojoe1

Leojoe1

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You bought it at auction but is there any guarantee it wasn't being sold because of a defect?

What was the start value under the USBSTOR registry folder? Be sure it is set to 3, not 4.

Was the machine factory reset? If so then any registry settings should have been restored. I have no idea if that computer has a recovery partition you can reach with F12 or not but you could try it.

You could also extract the W7 Product key from the current installation with a product like SIW. And then completely reinstall W7 from a W7 SP1 Installation DVD (which you can burn from links HERE if you don't have one already).

NOTE: You never posted a screenshot of your device manager. I would like to see if any other yellow triangles are there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Win7 Professional disk which I bought for a different machine, which I have already installed, can I use this disk on this machine to re-install win7??? with out being penalized by MICROSOFT?
Currently, I'm away from that defective PC, I will post a screen shot to you when I get to it as soon as possible.
To answer your question it was set in 3 in USBSTOR Registry folder. Imay have bought the PC as is, other than this issue everything else works fine. How would I check to see whether this PC has a RECOVERY PARTITION?

Thank You,
Leojoe1

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is usually a message on boot to hit a PFKey or some other key for other options. You would have to mess with that to see if there is a factory restore option.

The Professional DVD can be used with any Pro install; what is important is that you have different product keys. So be sure you have the W7 product key from this Dell machine BEFORE you reinstall.

Ask a Question