Assign fixed drive letter to card readers/USB ports?

Reaction score
Running Windows 7 64Bit Pro here...

When I put an SD card, or USB stick into my PC, the drive letter that is assigned is totally random. For example, I put the SD card from my camera into the PC yesterday and it appears as drive F:. Today I put a USB stick into my PC and now IT is using drive F:.

I would like each reader port on my PC to have a specific letter. My SD card should always be F:, CF reader G:, XD card reader H:, USB ports I: up to whatever.

If necessary I can install extra software on the Windows PC, but I don't want to have to put specific files on the memory cards themselves.

Is this at all possible in Windows 7?

Reaction score
Plug your SD card or USB flash drive into the USB port. Right click COMPUTER > Manage > Disk Management. Right click your item and select "change drive letter & path". Assign a drive letter that is not already assigned by Windows. Next, click on COMPUTER. Under removable storage, right click your item and assign a name.

Ask a Question