SOLVED USB Mass Storage Device not being recognised on Toshiba Satellite L650 Windows 7

Reaction score
Hello friend(s). When inserting any USB mass storage device, the Device Manager shows a Yellow status, with the following report "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Things done to attempt fix;
1/Uninstalled the device and rebooted with the hope that the new drivers will refresh to make connection
2/Checked for any W7 updates
3/ Puchase the Driver Boost software. After scanning no relevant update for driver was offerred.
4/ Tried Windows Repair, CHKDSK & sfc /scannow
Appreciate if the forum can help. I have checked out the internet but so far no resolution to connect to USB Mass storage device.
USB port can recognise a mouse OK.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hang in there. Some time ago I had this problem. I finally discovered that the Toshiba Mass storage device was, in fact, nothing to do with Toshiba, although the OS installation disk seemed to think it was, and I finally got it to work with another driver. I am trying to locate the information, so far without luck.

Later. Sorry, no luck. You could try one of the driver detective programs. I do believe that the device driver was something to do with intel?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Appreciate your attempt to help. Thank you for trying...I'm now looking to do a reinstall of W7

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's OK to cheer for your home team, you didn't need to erase that. I put in rugby and "the all blacks" and I conclude you're a "kiwi". I'm in the USA and we don't even play rugby on this side of the pond; your rugby players would consider our football players a bunch of sissies for all the padding they wear.

I think a reinstall is a bit drastic for what should just be a driver issue but I hope it works out. Please let us know if it solves your issue.

Reaction score
Cheers for that...still haven't started the W7 install...so will check the link offerred by davehc...I've lived in NZ 9 times longer than the 6 years in the country of birth of UK...so yes very parochial am I towards the All Blacks. The coach has been the key to their success.

Reaction score
USB Mass Storage Device driver solved

Gents...we have victory! After much perserverance over the weekend a utility called "System Information for Windows" ...see http://www.gtopala.com/ ...enabled me to generate a report from which I zeroed in on a file called USBSTOR.SYS in location c:\windows\system32\drivers and took note of the file date & version which was 11/3/2011 6.1.760.17577. I checked on 3 other different PC's with W7 OS and all were 14/7/2009 6.1.7600.16385.

Well, I copied over the older version after renaming file on the PC with the 'troubled driver' ...rebooted...and Voila! ...the USB storage devices were correctly being recognised.

Appreciate the two/three heads are better than one. A global solution resolved by Denmark, America & New Zealand...this time it was New Zealand that got the ball across the line...GO THE ALL BLACKS for this RUGBY WORLD CUP.

Not sure how to sign off as SOLVED.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So an older driver works where a newer one doesn't? You should probably make a back-up of that file on your machine because it's quite possible that a Windows Update might come along and update it to the newer one again if W7 thinks that is the correct driver. If that happens then reset it to the old driver, manually run Windows Update, and then find the driver update in the list, right-click on it and select hide-update. Then it should not get re-installed until the next version of the driver comes out.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good for you. By the way, if you had gone to the link I suggested, that was the very driver offered!

Reaction score
I have the latest USBSTOR.SYS dated 3/10/11 and I have no problems with my machine seeing any USB devices I have plugged in, I have at least 11 USB devices which include a scanner, a Laser Printer 4 external drives 4 thumb/flash drives and one camera. I do not have this problem. It must be Toshiba specific.

Ask a Question