Upgrading windows 7 32bit to 64bit

Reaction score
I recently upgrade my computer from window vista 32bit to windows 7 32bit. really happy with it until I tried to install some software which is only available in 64bit.

i know i can do a custom install upgrade to go to 64bit from vista.

is it possible to use the 64bit upgrade disk to upgrade windows 7 to the higher software without purchasing more software?

I know my computer is capable of running 64bit.

how would i go about doing this?

Any advice and help would be grateful.

David

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
To answer your first question, yes it's possible to install the Windows 7 X64 version, but as you stated you'll have to do a clean or "custom" install as Windows 7 calls it. You can use the same product key that you used to do the Windows 7 X86 upgrade from Vista. Remember though, you can only use the product key with only one installed version at a time, not both.

To install it first be sure that your DVD drive is set at the "First Boot Device" in the BIOS settings. Put your Windows 7 64-bit install DVD in the DVD drive and save the DVD drive setting to your BIOS and reboot the computer.

You may see a prompt in the POST screen to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive". Do that within 4-5 seconds and the install will begin, be sure to delete all partitions and create new ones and install to the C partition.

BE SURE you have all the X64 drivers downloaded before installing so you have them handy after the Windows 7 install completes. Save the drivers to a thumb drive, external hard drive or a CD-RW disc.

Reaction score
thank you for that, that kinda makes sense not the most computer literate. i tried to do the 64bit install from windows vista and it came up with a weird error message so i gave up and took the easy option at the time

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You do an "upgrade" install from 32-bit to 64-bit. It's just not possible. That's why Vista wouldn't let the install continue. You have to do it as I explained in my previous post.

Check out this handy tutorial from Paul Thurott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Ask a Question