Upgraded some hardware now I have a problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I started this journey with an HP desktop with windows Vista. I just some major hardware upgrades. (processor, motherboard and gpu) I was looking to transfer my HDD over to this new setup. It's not working because the recovery disks are not compatible. I got these disks from HP.

From reading about on the internet I am guessing it's because my motherboard isn't tattoed to this HDD that has HP software on it?!?1

Will purchasing Windows 7 and installing it take care of this problem?

Please tell me yes. I just want to use this awesome new hardware!!

Reaction score
The OS that came with your HP is an OEM version and is technically bound to the motherboard it was activated with. When you upgraded to a different motherboard the OS that came with the HP can no longer be used.

You should purchase a new OS for your new machine because technically from Microsoft's stand point that is what you have when upgrading motherboards.

A fresh install of Windows 7 should fix the problems you have.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You should purchase a new OS for your new machine because technically from Microsoft's stand point that is what you have when upgrading motherboards.
I would just like to add that this is not just a Microsoft policy, but an industry wide practice. OEM licenses were created for system builders to provide a pre-installed copy of the program on to the "O"riginal "E"quipment". System builders don't need all the fancy (and expensive) retail packaging and so OEM software is cheaper. But as noted, is also tied to the original equipment and therefore is not "legally" transferable to new equipment.

While we see this most with Windows, we also see this with some anti-malware products that come preloaded on factory built computers, and with software that comes with some CD/DVD/BR drive/writers.

Ask a Question