Upgrade To 7 On an HP

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 3 HP machines (out of warranty) with Visa on them and will installing 7 Pro on them. Clean install vs. upgrade...The computers have been slowing down over the past 2 years so I'd like a fresh OS installation. Will the upgrade option be starting fresh enough or is a format the better option? I know it will be more work but that's OK. And how about HP stuff? Most of it Idon't use but there's stuff I'll need, right (drivers, etc). I don't even mind their Update software.
So any suggestion how to go about this are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

Reaction score
Hello jamepc - Welcome to w7forums

The clean install is always the best way. If the upgrade was the route I decided to take, I would only consider doing so with a fresh System Restore.

Over time your computer gets slow, which in your case you commented to the fact. An upgrade will carry allot of the same problems to the new install. The choice in the long run is ultimately yours. I can only advise you with how I would do things.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll be doing a clean install. Most of the software I want is found at HP's site, except for Cyberlink and Muvee software that came with the computer. It is on the recovery CD's but I don't want all the other junk that comes with a recovery CD.
I emiled HP but I'm pretty sure they will tell me the only way to reinstall Cyberlink and Muvee is from the recovery CD's!

Thanks again for the help,
Jamie

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I know that Cyberlink is a DVD burning program and there are really good, and free, DVD burning software selections out there so you may want to look at that as an alternate option if you can't get the Cyberlink off the recovery CD

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll be doing a clean install. Most of the software I want is found at HP's site, except for Cyberlink and Muvee software that came with the computer. It is on the recovery CD's but I don't want all the other junk that comes with a recovery CD.
I emiled HP but I'm pretty sure they will tell me the only way to reinstall Cyberlink and Muvee is from the recovery CD's!

Thanks again for the help,
Jamie
You should be able to browse the recovery DVD to find the apps you need. If not you'll just have to download them from somewhere else.

Cyberlink makes several types of software. Which one do you need? They have over twenty titles of software!

If you just need a CD/DVD burning software you can use a free one called "CDBurnerXP Pro" which is packed with features and very powerful for a free app or use "Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010" They even give you a free Trial Key to use the program.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The above mentioned program "CDBurnerXP Pro" is a great app for anyone's tool box. I've used it on XP systems for a couple of years now, you can't beat it.

Ask a Question