Upgrade motherboard with Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question about Windows re-activation.

If I change a motherboard/cpu in an Dell PC, will I still be able to use Windows 7 on that computer? I know that I can get the drivers loaded ok in safe mode, but will I need to re-activate Windows 7 to get it working again?

I read something a long time ago about hardware changes and activation, but I don't know if this will happen in this case. No big deal if I just need to ring up, but I wanted to check it wouldn't just break.

Reaction score
If I change a motherboard/cpu in an Dell PC, will I still be able to use Windows 7 on that computer?
Changing motherboards will trigger a de-activation, unless you use the exact same model.

If you have an OEM copy of Windows, it may require a new license. It has been said that an OEM license is tied to a specific motherboard model once activated.

Reaction score
Clifford is right: If it's a retail license, you will have to reactivate. If it's an OEM license, you cannot upgrade the motherboard--it must be replaced with exactly the same thing.

That said, that's what the EULA claims. I bet you can call MS and get an OEM license reactivated anyhow, but you didn't hear that from me.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'm sure if you were calling them every other day you might have problem, but as Thrax did not say, they will probably help you out if a reactivation is needed...I did not say this either :D

Ask a Question