Unsolved BSoD mystery.....

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first post in this forum. I'm looking forward to reading and joining in with you all here!

I hope someone could help me with a problem I have concerning my system.
First of all, I am a musician and purchased a 3XS D.A.W. (Digital Audio Workstation) pc last November from scan.co.uk.
From the second day of use, I got my first blue screen of death! Just paid £1500, so my heart sank as you could imagine!
This happened when I inserted an 2G Cn Memory flash drive to transfer software from my laptop to the 3XS. I didn't use the drive for a little while after.
Recently, I started using it again, and again it started BSoD my system or after I safely removed it from the USB. I think this might of happened when I never used this particular flash drive one time, which makes me think that there is a chance that this is not the problem after all.

I got in contact with Scan (who have been very helpful!) and they told me to download and install Memtest and give it 10 passes to check for Ram faults. I gave it 13 with no errors.
I was then asked to send them the minidump files.
They came back saying that most were vague but pointed towards kernal issues.
I was then emailed this from the helpful person at Scan...
"
"Had a look through these this morning, and they are quite vague. Each of them points towards a Kernal level issue which normally points to a driver within the system but they don’t specify what driver which tends to point in the direction of an unofficial patch or the such.

We get lucky with one of the files through which points at a memory collision between NFDS & SPSYS.EXE. NFDS is part of the OS disk management system and is fine but SPSYS.EXE reports as a Trojan (a variant of the CODBOT Trojan) which could be the issue your seeing as it appears to be hogging memory space leading to hangs when other applications try to access the same memory locations.

I’ve not dealt with it before, but from what I can gather Windows malware removal should fix it."

I was shocked as the pc is not and never has been connected online and that all software is scanned before transfer.
As asked, I tried the Windows malware removal and it found nothing. I also tried a full scan using Malwarebytes but this also came clean as a whistle!
I've also tried manually to find this CODBOT and found nothing.

I'm now at a loss! Well sort of ,as of the last few days, I stopped using the CnMemory flash drive, and low and behold.. No crashes!
I've also un/re installed my M Audio soundcard drivers and e-licenser software.
But if the flash drive was the problem, why was I told that a trojan called CODBOT was in the systems minidumps??

I'm really confused and a loss.
I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.
regards,
Michael.

System specs:

Intel i7 920 Core DO (not overclocked)
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard
6Gb (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3, PC3-10666 (1600)
1 x 500 GB Seagate ST3500320NS Barracuda ES.2, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache (OS Drive)
2 x 1T Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
625w Enermax PSU
512MB Palit/XpertVision 9500 GT Super GPU
Windows 7 64 bit Premium

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :D

I suspect that a virus was just one possible cause for the problem, but it may not actually be the culprit in this instance. If you have run a scan (and if the error first appeared after a near fresh install), then I wouldn't worry too much.

So the problem only seems to happen when you use this one particular drive? Are you able to use other flash drives without a hitch?

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
sorry for the late reply. My system looks to be rock solid and stable now that I ditched this particular flash drive! I ran a check disk on it on my XP laptop (as I didn't want to try it again on my main 3XS system) and check disk wouldn't run properly (not at all actually), which leads me to believe that its corrupted.
I have another flash drive (8G lexar) and this runs flawlessly.
As I have already mentioned, the systems seems to be rock solid again!

Ask a Question