Unpinned libraries by mistake

Moo

Reaction score
The title is pretty much self-explanative.
I've unpinned my "Library" item from my taskbar, and now I can't get it back. Yes, I can get "explorer" as a replacement, but its icon is ugly.

Any suggestion?
Also, if possible, how do I pin an item to the library/explorer item in the taskbar. I've been able to do it with one folder, but not anymore after. Thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard of other people having the explorer icon pinned back instead when they try to re-add it, and apparently the solution is to search for "Windows Explorer" in the search bar and pin that instead (rather than explorer.exe). Odd I know, but it apparently works!

If that fails, you can try and reset the pinned favorites in regedit:

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the search box, type regedit and press Enter.
3. In regedit, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage
4. In the right pane, right click on Favorites and click on Delete.
NOTE: The long binary number for the Favorites Data value is the list of pinned items. Since it cannot be easily edited, deleting it will be easier to reset it.
5. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.
6. Close regedit and restart the computer.

Reaction score
If that is to much for you.... You could always use the explorer pin, right click it then go into properties and "Change Icon" Then choose from the list. .....

*Edit* Wait.... are you referring to the Libraries in the Pop Up Desktop List on the Toolbar? or Just pinned to the taskbar?

Last edited:

Ask a Question