Unidentified Network, local access only.

Reaction score
I have just reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit and it won't see my local network. I'm running a hardwired network, my switch is a netgear RP614 set to act as a dhcp server. I had the 32bit version of windows 7 installed and that picked up its network address fine to start with and then just stopped working. I have tried hardcoding the ip address onto the network card but that makes no difference.My xp machine connected to the same network works fine.

It appears that windows 7 isn't picking up the ip address from the dhcp server as it should. it gets a default address of 169.254.107.37 whereas my network is 192.168.0.0 I have put in the default gateway and the dns server addresses that my isp uses but this makes no difference.

I have tried turning off the dhcp flag as recommended by microsoft in case that is the problem but that made no difference and it was working under 32 bit for a while without the flag turned off.

I have installed the nforce drivers in case it was the windows drivers causing the problem that made no difference. I have run a network capture and that shows that it is seeing the dhcp packets from the dhcp server.

I have done everything I can think of and everything I can find recommended by Microsoft but all to no avail. Any help with this greatly appreciated as I really like windows 7 and don't want to have to downgrade my system.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Gh0sty, welcome to the site :ciao:

As you've tried all the main things (especially the DCHCP flag in the reg), it could just be a driver problem... but there are a few other things you could try which might improve things:
  • Are there any firmware upgrades for your router that you could try?
  • Try disabling IPV6 on the network adapter
  • Also, does it make a difference if you turn the router off for 5-10 mins and then power up (when all your PCs are on)?
edit: Are you using the Beta build (7000)?

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Yes i'm using the beta build 7000, I tried changing from the standarw windows driver to the nforce one but this didn't change the situation I have also tried reseting winsock (netsh winsock reset) but this also didn't change anything. The router is an old one but upto date with the firmware. I'll try disabling the ipv6 and see what happens.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If that fails, it could be worth trying one of the later builds and see if that improves things :)

Reaction score
I now get an error saying the default gateway is not available.

I know from running network monitor that its seeing the rip announcements the router makes, its also seeing the announcements that my other pc on the network makes.

I have removed and reinstalled the nics but that also makes no difference.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a google, and it looks like lots of people experiencing these problems have an nForce network adapter - I suspect you'll need to wait for a driver update. If I can find anything else that will help, I'll post back here :) Good luck :D

Ask a Question