SOLVED turning off hibernate

Reaction score
Hi Guys, getting my feet wet with fiddling with win7 settings and I want to turn off hibernate. Any suggestions why I shouldn't and secondly, I am trying to use, = "Start" - "CMD" and then "powercfg/hibernate off" but I don't get past CMD. Any Ideas? is there a easier way?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have the contex wrong. Open command panel in Admin mode (Right click - run as administrator.
Type powercfg -h off
Close the command window. This will disable it.
If you just want to turn it off, as opposed to disabling, go into the power settings and scroll down to "sleep". There is a hibernate option in their. Wind it back to nil ( never). Under "Hybrid sleep", set it to off.
Save

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you, yeah I want to disable it completely as I have never used this function in any of my computers and it is just another bit of power being consumed.

Reaction score
Thank you, yeah I want to disable it completely as I have never used this function in any of my computers and it is just another bit of power being consumed.
Just to be clear Hibernation does not consume power. Hibernation will completely shutdown the PC after writing all contents of memory to a file. This allows the PC to start back where it left off after this information is written back to memory. Hibernation will take up usable disk space if you never use this feature.

Reaction score
Just to be clear Hibernation does not consume power. Hibernation will completely shutdown the PC after writing all contents of memory to a file. This allows the PC to start back where it left off after this information is written back to memory. Hibernation will take up usable disk space if you never use this feature.
Yes thank you, I understand this. When I was looking at the hibernation issue, I was thinking along these lines = As I switch off my computer and everything that is on standby (external HD - 2 Screens - various powersupplies) when I go to work or to bed, I don't need hibernation. Also I would like to minimise as many running processes as possible when I start doing video processing. And as you said, it takes up usable space, If there ever comes a time when I need it, I will turn it back on. Thanks again for the help.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes thank you, I understand this. When I was looking at the hibernation issue, I was thinking along these lines = As I switch off my computer and everything that is on standby (external HD - 2 Screens - various powersupplies) when I go to work or to bed, I don't need hibernation. Also I would like to minimise as many running processes as possible when I start doing video processing. And as you said, it takes up usable space, If there ever comes a time when I need it, I will turn it back on
Well, then hybrid mode seems perfect for you. It is like an extension of your screen saver and really only comes into play when your system is idle for a set period of time, and then again when you wake it up. I really like being able to walk away from my computer for hours (or over night) and come back, wiggle the mouse, and pick up where I left off, while saving energy in the process.

Ask a Question