Transition to 64 Bit system

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm planning to change from XP Professional 32 Bit to Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit on a new Desktop.

I understand that I will need to instal 64 Bit Drivers for my Printers etc. but am I likely to have any problems transferring the files and programs from my old Hard drive to the new one because of the difference?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alex

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Alexander! Hope you had a good Christmas. First, as long as your system is 64 bit capable, then you can install a 64 bit OS with no problem. Your system MUST be capable of running it. Some printers, such as mine, there's no 64 bit drivers for, so I print using my 32 bit laptop. But if you can afford the cost of Windows 7 Pro, a $39 to $69 printer shouldn't be a problem. As far as your programs are concerned, to be honest, some (or a lot) of your programs will still be only available in 32 bit, but you can run them. My desktop is a 64 bit, but the majority of programs on it are 32 bit. But as time passes, more and more 64 bit programs will emerge, and someday it will be the norm. And since you're getting Win 7 Pro, you can download Microsoft's Virtual PC, which will allow you to run many programs in XP Mode. However, your hardware must support the Virtual PC option in order to do this. You mentioned transferring your files and programs. You need to back them up before you remove XP Pro, either on an external drive, or CD's/DVD's. Then there's the option called Windows Easy Transfer to help you with this. And one other thing, and keep in mind that this is my opinion. If you have unlimited internet access, and not a lot of programs, you can redownload a lot of your programs. That way, you have the latest versions, and less to transfer. This way worked best for me a couple of years ago when my laptop went down, and my backup was a little old. That's why I said to backup before doing anything. Alexander, I hope this helps you, there will probably be other responses as well on your post. Good luck to you.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Alexander

Can you post the new Desktops hardware spec please as to running Windows 7 64-bit.

Reaction score
Hi Alexander - Welcome to w7forums

I think catilley1092 has it wrapped up for you. :)

In the event you run into compatibiliity issues that can not be worked out through installing normally or using compatibility modes. Professional and greater operating systems has what catilley1092 mentioned, "XP Mode" for even greater compatibility using virtualization.

If you have further questions, that is what we are here for.

Reaction score
Hi Alexander

Can you post the new Desktops hardware spec please as to running Windows 7 64-bit.
Hi Veedaz,

I think I'll buy one with an Intel Core i7-860 (2.8GHz, 8MB) processor and 4GB RAM.
Should be capable enough surely! :)

Hi Catilley1092,

Many thanks for taking the time to explain the issues.
I've got everything backed up to an external Seagate Drive and will hopefully transfer it from there to the new system.

Thanks again:adore: :)

Alex

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Veedaz,

I think I'll buy one with an Intel Core i7-860 (2.8GHz, 8MB) processor and 4GB RAM.
Should be capable enough surely! :)

Hi Catilley1092,

Many thanks for taking the time to explain the issues.
I've got everything backed up to an external Seagate Drive and will hopefully transfer it from there to the new system.

Thanks again:adore: :)

Alex
An Intel Core i7 will defiantly be be capable enough and you wont be sorry you chose it there a brilliant CPU :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Alexander, you made a smart decision to go with 4GB RAM with the 64 bit computer. That way, you can fully unleash the power of 64 bit technology. A lot of those here (me, too) runs 2GB with no problem. But down the road, as 64 bit programs becomes the norm, you won't regret it. For most, it's a good balance, having enough, but not too much. This was discussed in another post. For many, except hard core gamers and those who run multible RAM intensive programs, over 4GB is a waste. Spend that extra money on a printer. Good Luck to you and I hope that you fully enjoy Windows 7, as the majority of us here do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alexander, you made a smart decision to go with 4GB RAM with the 64 bit computer. That way, you can fully unleash the power of 64 bit technology. A lot of those here (me, too) runs 2GB with no problem. But down the road, as 64 bit programs becomes the norm, you won't regret it. For most, it's a good balance, having enough, but not too much. This was discussed in another post. For many, except hard core gamers and those who run multible RAM intensive programs, over 4GB is a waste. Spend that extra money on a printer. Good Luck to you and I hope that you fully enjoy Windows 7, as the majority of us here do.
Thanks Catilley,
My current Desktop is coming up for 6 Years old and I would like to replace it with one that will serve it's purpose for at least the next 5 Years. This seems like the time to change to 64 bit from what I've read. (Wife thinks I spend too much time reading about stuff :secruity:)
Looking forward to the Windows 7 experience!:pcguru:

Cheerie'

Reaction score
My current Desktop is coming up for 6 Years old and I would like to replace it with one that will serve it's purpose for at least the next 5 Years. This seems like the time to change to 64 bit from what I've read.
Now is the perfect time to switch to 64-Bit. Especially for someone like yourself that is looking to keep the computer for the next 5 or 6 years. 32-Bit operating systems are becoming obsolete and will more than likely not be preinstalled on computers after another year.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Catilley,
My current Desktop is coming up for 6 Years old and I would like to replace it with one that will serve it's purpose for at least the next 5 Years. This seems like the time to change to 64 bit from what I've read. (Wife thinks I spend too much time reading about stuff :secruity:)
Looking forward to the Windows 7 experience!:pcguru:

Cheerie'
(Wife thinks I spend too much time reading about stuff) Mine does, too! She thinks I'm supposed to sit around all day (or half the night) doing nothing but being on a computer.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That means you guys have been married a while! LOL!! :rolleyes:

If the wives would put on a cute little teddy or chemise, and some jazz, a little wine... hmmm?? ;)

That computer would be turned off in a heartbeat! Yaa, baby!

Ask a Question