Total Commander

Reaction score
What file manager do you use? Windows Explorer?
I've used Total Commander for over 15 years. As soon as Windows 95 came out and Explorer was created with a folder tree and one file window. I had all ready gotten used to copying my files from one file window to the other window. I immediately started looking for a program that would have Two file windows side by side shortly after 95 came out. I was searching for a program much like the File Manager of Windows 3.xx. Not to mention the double window DOS File Manager (QFiler) I was also using at the time.

File Manager is a file manager program bundled with releases of Microsoft Windows between 1990 and 1999.[1] It was intended to be a single instance graphical interface, replacing the line commands of MS-DOS to manage the user's files. File Manager was retired in favor of Windows Explorer with the release of Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0
Features in Total Commander :
  • Multiple language and Unicode support
  • Enhanced search function
  • Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
  • Quick View panel with bitmap display
  • ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
  • Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
  • Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
  • Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
  • Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
  • Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
  • And many more!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah... The famous total commander...
I used it for a little while a long time ago, then totaly forgot about it. Well, one there's one more software to add to my computer now :)

Hey, I'm the cause of this post :D Not a bad thing though, so I'm not complaining...

Reaction score
I have 2 versions of this 7.5 and Ultima Prime and to be honest I could never get behind it. I always went back to C, D, etc. and every time I read a post about the glories of Total Commander I re-install to see what the hoopla is about.

Reaction score
I have 2 versions of this 7.5 and Ultima Prime and to be honest I could never get behind it. I always went back to C, D, etc. and every time I read a post about the glories of Total Commander I re-install to see what the hoopla is about.
Thats the way the rest of my family is, I totally understand your point. Total Commander is not for everyone. In fact if you are already used to using Explorer, you may never be able to use Total Commander. IMO Total Commander takes some getting used to but is much more powerful than Explorer.

The difference is about like FireFox and IE. Firefox is from what I understand much more powerful than IE. I am used to using IE and may never change to FireFox. I would need a higher dedication level to move to FireFox. While a desire to change File Managers exist, dedication levels will probably not be high enough.

Question: What is "C, D, Etc."?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clifford I don't use Explorer I just use shortcuts to my drives using Rocketdock.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Clifford I don't use Explorer I just use shortcuts to my drives using Rocketdock.
If you don't use Explorer, then how do get to your drives? Rocketdock has to open a file manager when you click on a shortcut to a file.

Reaction score
If you don't use Explorer, then how do get to your drives? Rocketdock has to open a file manager when you click on a shortcut to a file.
The shortcuts just link to Computer/C: and so on.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Installed Total Commander and messing with it, time will tell how I feel. As C_C states; it does take some getting used to.

I noticed there is a "Pack Files" and "Unpack Files" feature. Is this similar to a ZIP or RAR app?

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Installed Total Commander and messing with it, time will tell how I feel. As C_C states; it does take some getting used to.

I noticed there is a "Pack Files" and "Unpack Files" feature. Is this similar to a ZIP or RAR app?
Yes it is.

Features in Total Commander :
  • Multiple language and Unicode support
  • Enhanced search function
  • Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
  • Quick View panel with bitmap display
  • ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
  • Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
  • Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
  • Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
  • Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
  • Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
  • And many more!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I should have asked this in the previous post... my bad.

Will this extract an ".exe" file. Such as for drivers? I prefer my driver files, at least certain ones, to have the folders and a "setup" executable in lieu of all-in-one executable.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I should have asked this in the previous post... my bad.

Will this extract an ".exe" file. Such as for drivers? I prefer my driver files, at least certain ones, to have the folders and a "setup" executable in lieu of all-in-one executable.
I don't think so. I've had a look at the files it can extract and .exe files aren't in the list. You might find an addon to extract those files, but I haven't found any that include exe either.
I use 7zip to extract files like that; it doesn't care what you point it at, it will just try to extract the file. I discovered like that that you can extract .ink files... :D

Reaction score
Yes that is the internal compression utility. You also have the option to use external compression utilities instead of the internal ones. If you look to the left side of the image you will notice ZIP has its own setting tab in configuration.
compression.png

There is also plugins you can download to add all sorts of features.

One of the ones I use most is Irfanview. With this plugin you can select any image press "Ctrl + Q" and view in the opposite window any image with the Irfanview plugin. Once the viewer is active you can select any image you want as long as Irfanview recognizes the format. To make changes in the way the images are viewed. select the image while not in viewer mode then press "F3" to open the image in the external viewer called Lister. From lister make your changes in the way you want the images to view and save changes. Note these changes will save if you are viewing with the internal viewer also. Viewing with the internal viewer at the same time will safe guard your older settings.
lister.png

There is also a registry plugin which allows you to browse the registry as if it was a folder structure. I've not tried it yet, but appears to be an editor. It's been so long I don't even remember what I downloaded. Was it a viewer or an editor plugin? :lol:
registry.png
And looking at the image above, you will see tabs. This lets you quickly jump from various locations.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about all the compression extensions. A Selfextracting ZIP can be renamed from *.exe to *.zip. Then you can browse the zip file without damaging the exe. Once finished rename the zip back to exe if you so desire just remember doing so will trigger an internal command. Total Commander will sense you doing this and ask if you want to create an exe. Of coarse you don't because it is already an exe that was renamed. :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about all the compression extensions. A Selfextracting ZIP can be renamed from *.exe to *.zip. Then you can browse the zip file without damaging the exe. Once finished rename the zip back to exe if you so desire just remember doing so will trigger an internal command. Total Commander will sense you doing this and ask if you want to create an exe. Of coarse you don't because it is already an exe that was renamed. :)
Maybe, but are .zip and .exe files compressed the same way? That could make a big difference.

Reaction score
All self-extracting files are not the same. Each and every compression format has a self-extracting capability. That is what I was referring to when I said I could not speak for anything other than zip compression. A self-extracting zip is simply an addition to the zip. The code needed to extract the zip is stored within the same file. If you rename the exe to zip your file manager will not see this extraction code and will only see the zip. Therefore you can then browse the file as if the extraction code was never added to the file.

I'm almost sure this is the way all the self-extracting files work but not positive so I cannot say it for the record.

The driver packages may not be Self-extracting ZIP's. However you can always try, GOD knows I do allot. :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question